I’ve been making Pork Carnitas (Mexican pulled pork) for at least 10 years. I originally found the recipe in a low carb recipe book, and modified it over the years to make it my own.
My secret ingredient for this pork roast is the seasoning. I use McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning. Have you ever tried is? If not, do yourself a favor and get some.
It is one of the most versatile seasonings around. I’ve been known to add it to everything from macaroni salad to spaghetti sauce. It even makes an awesome seasoning for guacamole.
Recently, McCormick’s sent me their All Purpose Garlic & Onion with Black Pepper & Sea Salt seasoning to try. And, it is every bit as good as Montreal Steak Seasoning. In fact, I think it might be my newest favorite. It transforms everything I’ve added it to.
Pulled Pork or Pork Carnitas? You choose!
Heads up, this recipe is super easy! You can count on it becoming a family favorite. In fact, it might just become your go-to or signature dish.
It’s easily adaptable because you can put it in the slow cooker or oven, and use it as pork carnitas or pulled pork. It all depends on what kind of sauce you add to it.
Almost any cut of pork roast will work here. Below are the two I use most frequently:
You can use a roast or the country ribs to make Pulled Pork or Carnitas.
Before browning, completely dry the roast by patting it with paper towels. Then rub the roast with olive oil and sprinkle liberally with Montreal Steak seasoning or your favorite seasoning. The oil helps the seasoning stick to the meat.
Searing the pork. Use a heavy pan.
Brown on all sides
Then you are ready for the oven or Slow Cooker.
Pork Carnitas or Pulled Pork
- Heavy Pot OR Crock Pot
- 4 lbs. Pork shoulder roast or country-style ribs
- 2-3 Tbsp. Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground chili powder
- Heat a skillet or cast iron dutch oven pot with the oil on medium-high heat. If using country-style ribs, cut up them into 2-3 inch squares. Liberally sprinkle pork with the Montreal steak seasoning.
- Once the oil is almost smoking, brown the pork on all sides. Turn off heat. If using a slow cooker, transfer the meat to the pot before proceeding. If baking, preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Mix the Knorr container with the water and pour over the meat, or add the 2 cups of beef broth. Set the crockpot for 5-7 hours on low. If baking the roast place the pot in the preheated oven for 5 hours (checking at the 2.5 hour make to add more fluid if necessary.
- The meat should be tender and easily separated when it is done. Before serving, remove the pork from the crockpot and separate it with two forks or just mash it with a fork. .
And, it’s ready! Perfect whether its in tortillas or buns, or even on its own. Be sure to check out my guacamole recipe HERE.
And there you have it! Easy Pork Roast for Carnitas or Pulled Pork, ready to serve. It’s going to be good!
Making Pulled Pork? Serve it on your own easy homemade buns in 40 minutes! Here’s the recipe: