This recipe for Christmas M&M cookies is the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit! With festive-looking M&Ms, this classic chocolate chip cookie recipe gets a Christmassy makeover.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
Christmas is a time for celebration and spending time with family and friends. What better way to enjoy the holiday season than with a delicious batch of Christmas M&M cookies?
These cookies are so good that you will not be able to resist them. The combination of cookies with the colorful M & Ms is sure to put you in the Christmas spirit.
Christmas M&M Cookies
Every Christmas, we enjoy making a batch of M&M cookies. Sometimes we use mint M & Ms or original M and M’s, but our favorite are the red and green Christmas MMs. We love how festive they look in the cookies, so I wanted to share this delicious recipe with everyone.
The cookies turned out to be a huge hit! Everyone loved them, and they quickly disappeared. I was so happy with how they turned out that I decided to make them again this year.
The recipe has since become a family tradition and we all look forward to eating these delicious cookies every Christmas.
These Christmas cookies with M & Ms are the perfect way to enjoy the holiday season. They are so easy to make and require only a handful of ingredients.
The cookies are soft and chewy on the inside with crunchy edges, and they have a delicious hint of colorful Christmas red and green M&M that makes them irresistible and adds a fun and festive touch to the cookies.
So if you’re looking for something special to make this Christmas, this Christmas M&M cookie recipe will surely be a hit!
Try them today and see why they have become such a family favorite. Enjoy!
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Unsalted butter – softened
- Brown sugar
- Granulated cane sugar
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- Christmas M&Ms
Kitchen Tools Needed
How to Make M&M Christmas Cookies
Make the cookie dough. Mix the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars using a mixer. Add vanilla and eggs, and mix until creamy.
Add the dry ingredients to the mixture, then mix until blended.
Gently mix 1 cup of Christmas M&M by hand with a spoon.
Note: If you bake Christmas M and M into cookies, they will crack and melt slightly. Adding the other half of them after baking will create cookies with intact M&Ms and look nicer.
Mix the cookie dough. Scoop the dough balls onto prepared cookie sheets.
Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Final touch. Gently press the remaining cup of Christmas M&M on top of the cookies before cooling, then serve.
Tips & Tricks
- When adding the M&Ms to the cookie dough, be sure to fold them in by hand with a spoon. This helps to keep the colors from blending and keeps your cookies looking bright and festive!
- The cookies will continue to bake slightly once they’re out of the oven, so be sure to take them out when they’re still slightly under-baked.
- Add an additional 1/2 cup of semi-sweet or white chocolate chips.
- Replace M&Ms with candy canes or other festive holiday candies.
- Add 1 teaspoon of instant espresso powder for a richer flavor.
- Dip the cookies in melted white chocolate for an extra special treat.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the cookies for a festive look.
- Use a food color gel to tint the dough green, red, or white for a fun and festive look.
What to Serve with Christmas M&M Cookies
This Christmas M&M cookie recipe is perfect for enjoying with a glass of cold milk, hot cocoa, or even a cup of coffee. They also pair nicely with other festive treats like fudge or candy canes.
For a show-stopping dessert spread, serve these Christmas M and M cookies with other holiday favorites like sugar cookies shaped like snowflakes, gingerbread houses, or shortbread stars. You’ll have a feast fit for Santa Claus!
Storage and Freezing
These homemade Christmas M and M cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature and will be fresh for up to 3 days.
Place them individually with a plastic wrap for longer storage, then put them in a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze them for up to 3 months.
Thaw frozen cookies overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best way to keep them from cracking is to add the M&M’s to the dough after it’s been mixed and before you shape them into cookie balls.
The cookies can be flat if the dough is too soft. Try adding more flour or chilling it in the fridge before baking. You could also try using a cookie scoop to ensure uniform size and thickness.
Another reason is that the oven is too hot which causes the butter to melt too quickly and spread out. Check your oven temperature and make sure not to overbake the cookies.
Cookies can get hard after cooling if they were over-baked. Be sure to remove the cookies from the oven when the edges are golden and still slightly soft in the center.
Christmas M and M Cookies
- Baking Sheet or cookie sheet
- Mixer (hand or stand mixer
- Parchment Paper optional
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Christmas M&Ms divided, reserve 1 cup for decorating
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper, a Silpat baking sheet, or spray baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Set bowl aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars together with an electric or stand mixer until light and fluffy. Scraping down the sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until creamy.
- Turn the speed of the mixer to low and add flour mixture just until blended. Gently stir in 1 cups of Christmas M&Ms by hand with a spoon *see notes*.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoons (or with a small scoop) onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake cookies in the middle rack of the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown around the edges, and just set in the center.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before transferring the cookies to a wire rack. Gently press in remaining cup of M&Ms into cookies before cooling *see notes*.
- The M&Ms will crack and melt slightly during baking. Adding half of the M&Ms after baking creates cookies with intact M&Ms and makes a better presentation.
- These cookies will keep well for up to 3 days at room temperature if stored in an airtight container. Although, I’ve never known them to last that long around our house.
- M and M cookies are great to freeze, too! To keep the freshest I recommend you first wrap the cookies individually with plastic wrap and then store them together in an airtight freezer bag for up to 3 months.