Learn the secrets for making the best version of that classic M&M cookies original recipe that we all know and love. It is perfect for baking a batch of crispy, chewy, wonderfully sweet, and crunchy homemade cookies that the whole family will enjoy. Keep reading for the easy (and kid-friendly!) steps to make the original M&M cookie recipe from the bag.
Original M&M Cookies Recipe
These kid-friendly M&M candies cookies are a classic favorite, straight from your childhood.
They’re soft, slightly chewy on the inside, and crisp on the outside cookies, and loaded with crunchy, chocolatey M and Ms. Every bite is a treat within a treat!
This is the original M&M cookie recipe from the bag, nothing fancy, and totally tasty. It includes just a handful of simple ingredients and few key steps for making perfect cookies every time.
The little ones will have a blast baking these treats with you, and you’ll love feeling like a kid again as you enjoy fresh, homemade M&M cookies together.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Most of the ingredients included in this homemade M&M cookies recipe are basic baking staples. To make the original M&M cookie recipe you will need:
- All-purpose flour – If you like an extra chewy consistency, you can use a combination of all purpose and bread flour. The extra protein strands of gluten in bread flour makes the cookies chewier.
- Sea salt
- Baking soda
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- M&Ms candies
How to Make the Original M&M Cookie Recipe from the Bag
These sweet and crispy M and M cookies only take 30 minutes to make from start to finish. Perfect for those short attention spans *wink*.
To make the best M&M cookies original recipe follow these simple steps:
Then, in a large mixing bowl beat together the sugars and softened butter with an electric mixer. As you cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, scrape the bowl down with a spatula. Add the eggs and vanilla and continue to beat until creamy.
Turn mixer down to LOW before adding the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, mixing in until it’s just blended. You don’t want to overwork the batter or your cookies will wind up flat. Next, use a wooden spoon to gently fold in half of the M&M candies.
Use a tablespoon or scoop to drop scoopfuls of batter onto the prepared baking sheets. Make sure you give each cookie a good bit of space (or use this marked Silpat sheet) and keep them a couple of inches apart. Bake for just about 10-12 minutes until no longer raw and are slightly brown around the edges.
Remove the cookies from the oven, and let them rest for about 5 minutes. Then transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Immediately (gently) press the remaining half of the MM candies into the tops of the baked cookies before they begin to cool and are still soft.
Frequently Asked Questions
When baking with M&Ms, the candy shell will crack and melt a bit. So, to make sure your cookies have a nice presentation with whole candies, we recommend adding a few extras to the top of the cookie dough balls before baking.
Most freshly baked cookies will keep well for up to 3 days at room temperature. if stored in an airtight container.
M and M cookies are great to freeze, too! To prevent freezer burn, we recommend wrapping the cookies individually with plastic wrap first. Then, package them together in an airtight freezer bag, and they should keep for up to 3 months.
Need a few more easy cookie recipes?
If you like cookies with chocolate, be sure to get our recipes for Better Than Costco Chocolate Chip Cookies and Spring Sugar Cookies with Pastel M&Ms.
If you’re a fan of white chocolate, you’ll want to gobble up some Subway copycat white chocolate raspberry cookies!
For old fashioned goodness, you can’t go wrong making a batch of oatmeal cookies. The flavor will remind you of the cookies your mom or grandma made!
Original M&M Cookies Recipe
- Baking Sheet or cookie sheet
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups M&Ms reserve 1 cup for decorating
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Set bowl aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars together with an electric or stand mixer until light and fluffy. Scraping down the sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until creamy.
- Turn the speed of the mixer to low and add flour mixture just until blended. Gently stir in 1 cups of M&Ms by hand with a spoon *see notes*.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoons (or with a small scoop) onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake cookies in the middle rack of the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown around the edges, and just set in the center.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before transferring the cookies to a wire rack. Gently press in remaining cup of M&Ms into cookies before cooling *see notes*.
M and M cookies are great to freeze, too! To keep the freshest I recommend you first wrap the cookies individually with plastic wrap, and then store together in an airtight freezer bag for up to 3 months.