This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
It’s quick and easy to have the best hot, flakey, delicious biscuits on the table in only 20 minutes with 3 simple ingredients and my 3 easy baking tips. Why save homemade biscuits for special occasions? These biscuits are so easy that they are perfect at any time. So, let’s get baking and you’ll see that these really are the easiest 3 ingredient biscuits ever!
I love biscuits, or scones. Doesn’t everyone? Like many, though, I hadn’t had positive experiences making them.
Well, this seriously quick and easy homemade biscuits recipe will completely erase all of those past mistakes. Making the best 3 ingredient biscuits is within your reach! I guarantee it.
Let me share a few of my tips with you for How to Make Quick and Easy Biscuits with only 3 ingredients!
What 3 Ingredients You Need for the Easiest Homemade Biscuits:
- Self rising flour (for all-purpose flour, see below)
- Heavy cream
Really, that’s it!
If you don’t happen to have self rising flour in your pantry, see how to make you own easy self rising flour below.
Before you know it, you’ll be taking these delicious, flaky 3 ingredient biscuits with heavy cream out of the oven.
See how easy these homemade biscuits are to make?
Read on to discover my 3 simple tips for creating the most perfect from-scratch biscuits in only 20 minutes using these 3 basic – but absolutely essential! – ingredients.
Easy Baking Tip #1: The Flour
Initially, I thought using self-rising flour was the secret ingredient for making the perfect biscuit. After all, that’s what I used the first time my biscuits came out beautifully flakey and tall.
Then I began using organic flours and I couldn’t find an organic self-rising flour. So, I did what anyone would do, and turned to Google.
Through a little research, though, I found out that soft winter wheat is an ideal flour for making biscuits. It has a low-protein and low-gluten formulation.
A search for organic soft winter wheat brought me to organic 00 flour. I already used that for pizza dough. After trying it, it’s my favorite flour to use for biscuit making.
Special flours aside, you can use all-purpose flour with the modifications below OR self-rising flour.
TFN’s Tip: Make your own self-rising flour to keep on hand. This will make enough for two batches of biscuits. Combine 4 cups of flour, 2 Tablespoons of baking powder, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Mix well, and store in a container at room temperature.
Easy Baking Tip #2: The Fat
Using heavy cream provides a high concentration of fat and it’s easy to use. You could use a combination of butter and buttermilk. But, it requires more mixing. Pouring in cold cream is just easier.
Trust me, you definitely don’t want to try substituting whole or low-fat milk in these 3 ingredient biscuits with heavy cream! Heavy cream makes all the difference in the world for the best moist and flaky biscuits.
Just to give a quick comparison, heavy cream contains 36-40% milk fat. Whole milk contains only 3.5-4% milk fat. When making biscuits with only 3 ingredients, the amount of fat is important for the best and flakiest biscuits!
If you’re looking for that classic buttery flavor from using cold butter in your biscuit recipe, just brush on a little melted butter after baking. You can also make my easy drop biscuits made with milk and butter.
Or, you can even add a pat in the middle before baking to give them that buttery taste.
Easy Baking Tip #3: The Techniques
There are two deceivingly simple techniques that must be used to achieve fluffy, flaky homemade biscuit perfection…
The first important technique is in the folding.
The dough is patted out flat and folded like a letter several times over to create those beautiful layers.
The second technique to perfection is properly cutting the dough.
Press down and come straight up when you are cutting out the biscuits from the dough. NO twisting! Moving the cutter side to side seals up the edges and prevents them from rising. So, it’s straight down and up for the highest rise!
If you’re looking for biscuits you can make without a biscuit cutter, check out my Easy Drop Biscuits recipe with 3 Ingredients. Just mix, drop, and bake. They really are that easy!
Additional Prep Tips for the Best Quick and Easy Biscuits
- Consider using a food processor to mix the ingredients, especially if your kitchen is really warm. Keeping the dough as cool as possible is important during preparation. So, the less you handle the dough, the better.
- Heavy cream is an essential ingredient. It has a high fat content (36%-40%). Compare that to milk’s fat content of 3-4% for whole milk and 2% for low-fat. High fat is an essential ingredient of biscuits. So again, don’t substitute regular milk or half-n-half for the cream in these 3 ingredient biscuits.
- Use a cast iron skillet for baking instead of a sheet pan to create “cathead”-style pull-apart biscuits that are beautifully clustered together.
- Wait until your oven is fully heated before baking. A hot oven is essential for the best rise possible.
- Looking to use these biscuits as a dessert? Skip the salt and substitute it for 1 tablespoon of sugar. Then you have the perfect shortcakes for that fruit!
Now that you know the easy baking tips for making the perfect 3 ingredient biscuits, let’s make a batch – or two!
These truly are the easiest homemade biscuits ever.
If you’ve been baking challenged like me, try making my other easy baking recipes!
Get the 3 Ingredient Biscuits Recipe Here:
3 Ingredient Easy Biscuits Recipe
- Baking Sheet
- 2 cups self-rising flour (see notes for all-purpose flour)
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream (don't substitute milk, heavy cream is a must!)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Keep cream in the fridge until you're ready to use it.
- Add flour and salt to a medium bowl. Pour in cold cream and stir with a heavy wooden spoon until mixed. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Dump bowl onto a counter and scrape out any remaining dough or flour. Pat into a rectangle about 2" thick. Fold in thirds, turn 1/4 and fold again, continuing 3 times.
- Cut biscuits with a 3" biscuit cutter. Press down and bring straight up. Do not twist biscuit cutter. Pat excess dough out, cut, and repeat process again.
- Place biscuits on a cookie sheet about 2" apart. Bake for 12 minutes, until golden. Brush with butter. Serve warm.
Now that you know my 3 easy baking tips and that you only need 3 simple ingredients to make the easiest and most delicious self rising biscuits, go make some!
Looking for the perfect soup recipe to go along with your 3 ingredient biscuits? Try these satisfying soup recipes:
Shop my favorite baking supplies and household items at www.amazon.com/shop/thefeatherednester
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases