If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
Instant Pot creamy ranch chicken and potatoes is a quick and easy dinner that the entire family will love. It’s tangy, rich, and wonderfully comforting to enjoy anytime of the year! The potatoes and chicken cook together in the pressure cooker with the seasonings. Then, the delicious cream cheese sauce is made using the same pot. Serve with your favorite veggies for a complete and effortless meal.
Easy Pressure Cooker Ranch Chicken and Potatoes
This ranch chicken and potatoes dish is a simple, easy Instant Pot recipe that’s perfect any night of the week. Just mix the potatoes and chicken with oil, add dry ranch seasoning and Italian seasoning, and press cook!
Once done the cream cheese combines with the chicken broth for a dreamy, creamy sauce. It’s perfect for spooning over the chicken and potatoes. And, this meal is ready to enjoy with any number of sides.
Ingredients Needed to Make Instant Pot Creamy Ranch Chicken with Potatoes
Not only is this recipe super easy and delicious, it’s great for customizing with what ingredients you have available. Use your choice of chicken thighs or chicken breasts, without modifications, for making this Instant Pot ranch chicken and potatoes.
Along with the chicken you will need:
- Baby potatoes – scrubbed and left whole
- Olive oil – or preferred oil for cooking
- Dry ranch dressing mix for a zesty, tangy taste
- Italian seasoning adds the perfect herbs and spices for a really flavorful dish
- Chicken broth – I recommend low sodium
- Cream cheese to make the creamiest, richest sauce for the chicken and potatoes
For a dish with even more big Italian flavor feel free to substitute the ranch dressing mix with an Italian dressing mix.
How to Make Ranch Chicken and Potatoes in the Instant Pot
This is an easy recipe for making on a busy weeknight. Or, make it as part of your relaxing weekend meal plan.
The chicken and potatoes are cooked right in the Instant Pot. And, they are paired with a thick and creamy ranch sauce that is so good you’ll want to drink it with a straw!
Follow these simple steps for making Instant Pot cream cheese chicken with potatoes:
- First, prepare the baby potatoes by coating lightly with oil and then some of the ranch seasoning in a bowl. Add them to the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Then, using the same bowl, add the chicken thighs or chicken breasts. Coat with a bit of oil and the rest of the ranch seasoning (or Italian dressing seasoning) plus the Italian seasoning. Place the coated chicken on top of the potatoes in the pressure cooker.
- Next, add the chicken broth to the pot. Place on the lid and seal, and set to manual pressure cook for 12 minutes.
- Once done, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release for 10 minutes before doing a quick release.
- Use tongs to remove the Instant pot chicken thighs and potatoes and transfer to a serving dish. Then turn on the sauté function and stir in the cream cheese to make a creamy ranch sauce. Continue stirring until the cream cheese has completely melted and the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, here’s how you can make your own homemade ranch dressing mix: 2 Tablespoons buttermilk powder (optional), 1 Tablespoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1 teaspoon dried chives, 2 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon dried dill.
Although the recipe calls for baby potatoes, feel free to use yellow (yukon gold) potatoes, russets, or red potatoes if you prefer. Cut larger potatoes into halves or quarters (about 2″).
This rich dish is practically a meal all in itself! But it does pair very well with any number of fresh salads or cooked veggies. Serve saucy potatoes and chicken with sautéed or roasted carrots, broccoli, or my personal favorite – green beans, for a hearty and healthy dinner.
Stored in an airtight container leftovers will keep well for up to 4 days. Because of the creaminess I do not recommend you freeze Instant pot cream cheese chicken and potatoes.
Here’s the Full Creamy Chicken and Potatoes Recipe:
Instant Pot Ranch Chicken and Potatoes
- Instant Pot (or any electric pressure cooker)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1½ lb baby potatoes, scrubbed, whole (cut larger potatoes into halves or quarters, about 2")
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp dry ranch dressing mix (1/2 package) (see notes to make your own ranch dressing mix)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened and cubed
- Add the chicken broth to the Instant Pot, twist on the lid to seal it, and turn the sealing lever (if needed). Set Instant Pot to cook at high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Once pressure cooking is complete, allow pot to naturally release pressure (Natural Pressure Release) for 10 minutes, then initiate a quick release by carefully turning the sealing lever away from you to vent the steam.
- Remove chicken and potatoes to a serving platter. Press cancel and set pot to sauté. Stir in cream cheese until melted, then let simmer on sauté for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Serve cream cheese sauce over chicken and potatoes.