As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
Instant Pot Chicken Pozole Verde is a delicious and easy Mexican stew recipe that is rich, hearty, and full of flavor.
I’m often asked, “what is Posole?” Also spelled Pozole, it’s a delicious Mexican stew featuring tender chunks of pork or chicken, zesty tomatillos, and hearty hominy.
Our Instant Pot Chicken Pozole recipe is perfect for creating a rich and flavorful dish in a fraction of the time it takes to make a traditional stew. So, get out your pressure cooker, and let’s make this easy chicken pozole recipe.
Homemade Easy Posole Verde is a Family Favorite
I started making Pozole a few years ago. My husband loved the Pork Pozole that a co-worker brought to work and suggested we try it at home.
From what he described, stewed pork should be fork-tender, with plenty of hominy – whole corn kernels that have been soaked in lime juice, and lots of zesty tomatillos and topped with fresh toppings.
One day, I found a recipe that sounded similar to the dish my husband’s co-worker made.
We tried it that night and it was delicious! And ever since then, it has been one of our favorite meals.
Green Posole or Red Posole?
Posole can be red (Rojo) or green (Verde), similar to red and green enchilada sauces. The colors come from using dried chiles or tomatillos.
Tomatillos are fruits that look like green, unripe tomatoes. They have a dry, leafy husk around them.
People usually mistake them for small green tomatoes, but they are actually completely different.
This recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Posole Verde uses tomatillos and green chiles to give the soup a green color.
My family prefers Verde Posole, so this is a great way to enjoy that same flavor in a different dish.
ingredients For Chicken Pozole in Instant Pot
- Poblano chiles
- Lime wedges
- Garlic cloves
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth
- Spices: Salt, pepper, dried oregano, and cumin
- For garnish and serving: Avocado, cilantro, fresh onions, and tortilla chips
- Over the years I have made small changes to the recipe to adapt it to our tastes. For instance, I add extra hominy.
- You can also use chicken stock instead of chicken broth.
- I also like using chicken instead of pork since it cooks quicker and is a little healthy. Also, you can swap pork shoulder or butt in this recipe.
Chicken Posole Verde in Instant Pot
The Instant Pot makes preparing our Chicken Posole recipe much easier. It only takes about an hour, compared to 4-6 hours on the stovetop or in the slow cooker.
If you are new to Instant Pot or pressure cooking, read this article on how to use the Instant Pot first.
Of course, if you are going to be at work or away from home all day, a slow cooker would be more convenient.
But, I have to say that the Instant Pot makes Pozole Verde much more flavorful. During the pressure cooking process, the meat is infused with broth and spices.
How to Make Chicken PoZole in Instant Pot
Making the salsa. To make the salsa base for the stew, coarsely chop the tomatillos, peppers, and garlic.
Add the prepped ingredients to the blender along with the lime juice, and blend until smooth.
Sauté the Ingredients. Turn on the pressure cooker and select the SAUTE feature.
Once it’s reached temp (mine says “HOT” when ready), add the olive oil and brown the chicken on both sides. Remove and set on a plate.
Add the onions and seasonings, and cook stirring until they are clear.
Pressure cooking the Posole. Put the shredded chicken back into the Instant Pot, and add the blended tomatillo salsa, chicken broth, and hominy. Stir to combine them.
To end the saute function, press CANCEL. Add the lid and twist to seal it. Close the pressure lever. Choose HIGH pressure from the manual setting and set it for 20 minutes.
Once the pressure cooker is done, use the quick-release method (according to the product instructions) to release the pressure. Be sure to protect your hand and aim the steam away from you.
Once all of the steam has dissipated, unlock and remove the lid.
Ready to serve. Pour the hot stew into bowls, and then serve your Instant Pot Chicken Posole warm.
- Add some chopped cilantro to the salsa for extra flavor.
- For a bit of spice, add chili powder, diced jalapeno, or serrano pepper to the salsa.
- Use green chili peppers in place of the poblano chiles for more heat in chicken posole.
- If you want more broth in your Pozole, add an extra cup or two of chicken broth.
- Add a can of refried beans to the stew for extra protein and creaminess.
What to Serve with Chicken Posole
This is a great dish to share with a group of people. I recommend serving it with sides of avocado, cilantro, sliced radishes, cheese, or tortilla chips so that guests can put their favorite toppings on it.
How to Store and Reheat Chicken Posole
This dish will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
When you’re ready to reheat it, simply put it back into the Instant Pot (frozen or thawed) and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can. For cooking in a slow cooker, see the recipe below.
You can use any type of green salsa (salsa verde). My favorite is the Herdez brand, but I also like the Hatch brand and Trader Joe’s brand that I bought from the grocery store.
You can cook a lot of food in your Instant Pot as long as the ingredients stay below the MAX line on the inside of the pot. This shouldn’t be a problem with 8 quart pressure cookers.
Yes, you can cook the pork instead. You can either slice a roast into 1/2 pound pieces or use pork chops that are whole or in bite size pieces.
This dish is not spicy. If you want it to be spicier, leave the seeds and membranes of the chiles intact. Or use medium salsa.
Here’s the Full Instant Pot Posole Verde Recipe
Instant Pot Chicken Posole
- Pressure Cooker OR
- Crock Pot
- 1 lb. tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed and coarsely chopped (can substitute salsa verde/green salsa)
- 2 poblano chiles, seeded and finely chopped (can substitute 1 jalapeno pepper)
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 can (25 oz) hominy, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
Instant Pot Instructions
- Combine tomatillos (or jarred salsa), poblano pepper, lime juice, and garlic in a blender; blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Select SAUTE function on Instant Pot. Add olive oil, chicken, onion, salt and pepper, oregano, and cumin; cook for 5 minutes. Add tomatillo mixture, hominy, and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Close and lock the lid. Select Manual, HIGH Pressure function and set timer for 20 minutes.
- Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method (according to the manufacturer's instructions). Unlock and remove the lid. Stir in cilantro. Ladle into bowls.
- Omit olive oil. Add all ingredients except cilantro to the slow cooker pot. Place on lid and set to 4 hours for high or 6 hours on low.
- Remove chicken, and shred with two forks. Return chicken and cilantro to pot and let sit for 30 minutes. Ladle and serve.