If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
How many times have you wondered what to make for dinner at the last minute? Well, this Instant Pot Sour Cream Pork Chops recipe is the solution to that dilemma. These deliciously creamy pork chops are so good that you’ll keep pork chops in freezer just for moments like that! And, yes you can use frozen pork chops for this Instant Pot recipe. Even better is that these sour cream pork chops taste great with any kind cut of pork chops. So, what’s stopping you? Let’s make some tasty Instant Pot Pork Chops.
Growing up, we didn’t eat much pork. Our meals were simple: a protein like chicken or beef, fresh vegetables, and a starch like rice or bread.
And, when I say simple, I mean plain – we didn’t have gravy or creamy sauces, breaded foods, fried foods, or even mashed potatoes. To me, we ate like most Californians in the 1970s.
Then I met my husband. He grew up in Michigan, where apparently nothing is served plain or simple.
So, I will never forget the time I served my husband pasta with marinara sauce. No biggie, right? Well, it didn’t have meat…
He asked me very nicely to never make spaghetti without meat again. And, I never have.
Getting back to pork chops, though, as a newlywed I didn’t really know how to cook pork chops. But, my husband loves pork chops.
So, I’d buy pork chops (the steak type) and he would grill them. Problem solved.
Pork Chops – Instant Pot?
A few months ago, I saw a photo on Instagram of pork chops smothered in gravy and that gave me an idea.
Why not make pork chops in the Instant Pot? Since the Instant Pot uses pressure and seam to cook foods, it would be the perfect way to cook any type of pork chop without getting dry pork chops.
After trying several variations of the perfect, creamy sauce, these Instant Pot Sour Cream Pork Chops were born.
What you Need to Make Instant Pot Pork Chops with Sour Cream
- butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- pork chops
- beef stock
- Worcestershire sauce
- Corn starch or arrowroot powder (optional, see recipe)
- Sour cream
Salt and pepper are optional. You probably won’t need them.
I find that between the sautéed onions, flavorful broth, and Worcestershire sauce there’s plenty of seasoning in this dish.
What are the best pork chops to use in the Instant Pot?
As I mentioned above, any cut of pork chops or pork steaks will work here. Although each of the cuts have different characteristics like the amount of fat or flavor, they’ll work perfectly.
Here’s an example of different cuts of pork chops, and what they’re called:
- Blade steaks
- Center-cut chops
- Loin chops
- Boneless chops
- Pork sirloin steak
Choose the pork chop cut you use based on your personal preference, what’s in the fridge or freezer, or how much you want to spend.
Since the pressure cooker uses pressure and steam to cook foods, dry chops and tough meat aren’t a concern.
TFN Tip: Although you can use thinly cut pork chops for Instant Pot Pork Chop recipes, try to avoid those thinner than ½” in thickness.
Frozen Pork Chops in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can use frozen for this Instant Pot Pork Chops recipe. Ordinarily, I would sear them for them a tad more flavor. But, when you need dinner on the table quickly, I say go for it!
Believe me, these creamy pork chops will be delicious anyway. And, the sautéed onions will leave a such a scrumptious fond on the pot, so you won’t notice the difference.
Low Carb, Keto Pork Chops
At just 4 net carbs, these Instant Pork Chops are low carb and Keto friendly. If you are aiming for even lower carbs, see the recipe for how to thicken the sauce without cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
I think you have all the information to make the best pork chops ever. Let’s go over the really quick prep steps.
How to Make the Best Instant Pork Chops
Sauté the onions in the butter, ghee, or oil until softened.
Deglaze the pan with the broth and Worcestershire sauce. Deglazing is just fancy word for a cooking technique that removes and dissolves browned food residue from a pan to add flavor.
TFN Tip: Deglazing your Instant Pot before pressure cooking will help to avoid the “burn notice” that occurs when food burns on the bottom of the pot.
Add the pork chops and pressure cook them on high pressure.
Create the creamy gravy by adding the corn starch. Whisk the sour cream for the yummy sour cream gravy sauce.
For serving, plate the pork chops and pour over the creamy sour cream gravy sauce. Serve with your favorite sides.
Frequently Asked Questions
Use a quick read or instant thermometer to check the temperature of the pork chops. If it reads 145º they are done.
Yes you can. Use a skillet to sauté the onions, as in step 1. Then, sear the pork chops for 2-3 minutes per side until the are golden. Remove them from the skillet to a plate and cover. Add the broth and Worcestershire sauce to deglaze the pan. Return the pork chops to the pan and simmer until they are 145º (5-10 minutes). Add corn starch and sour cream as directed in recipe instructions.
No, it doesn’t matter with this Instant Pork Chops recipe. Bone in pork chops may add a little flavor to these sour cream pork chops, though.
This shouldn’t be a problem with the Instant Pot! And, the yummy sour cream sauce should keep them plenty moist.
Yes, they are low in carbs, but you can make them lower by leaving out the cornstarch. See the recipe below for how to make them without cornstarch.
Add 2 minutes to the pressure cooking time if your pork chops are more than 3/4″ thick. And, use a 10 minute natural pressure release.
Get the Recipe:
Instant Pot Sour Cream Pork Chops
- Instant Pot (or any electric pressure cooker)
- 1 Tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced into slivers
- 4 pork chops (use pork chops that are 1/2" to 3/4" inches thick – for thicker chops, see notes below)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch (optional for low carb or keto)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp dried parsley (optional)
- Turn the Instant Pot on to the sauté mode. Add the ghee, butter, or oil to heat. When the pot is ready (mine says HOT), add the onions. Stir occasionally, sautéing until they are softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and Worcestershire sauce, allowing the pan to deglaze by stirring until the bottom of the pan is smooth and clear. Deglazing your Instant Pot before pressure cooking will help to avoid the “burn notice” that occurs when food burns on the bottom of the pot.
- Lay your pork chops right over the onions and broth. Close the Instant Pot lid and set the pressure valve to close. Set the pressure cooker to high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once the pressure cooking is done, allow for a natural release for 10 minutes. Then perform a quick release by carefully turning the lever. Use instant read thermometer to check that pork chops are 145º F.
- Remove pork chops to a plate and cover. For a thicker sauce, mix the cornstarch with cold water and whisk until it’s creamy and smooth. To thicken without the cornstarch, press cancel and set pot to saute for 5 minutes. This will help reduce the stock, for a low carb or keto sauce.
- Turn off pot and add sour cream. Stir until a smooth, creamy gravy sauce forms. Dip the pork chops back into the pot. Serve pork chops with sour cream gravy poured over and sprinkled with dried parsley.
Make these Instant Pot Pork Chops tonight
What an easy pork chops recipe this is! And, it solves the dilemma of what to make for dinner tonight. Keep some frozen pork chops in the freezer so you can make these frozen pork chops in the Instant Pot. You’ll have that last minute dinner at the ready whenever you need it.
So, what’s stopping you? Make some tasty Instant Pot Pork Chops quickly and easily for dinner tonight.