If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
If you’re looking for a dish that’s ultra-creamy and delicious, then this is the one! My Loaded Potato Casserole recipe is all that with cheesy goodness, crisp bacon, and green onions, made quick and easy in the Instant Pot. Get my tips below to turn this side dish into a main dish and have the best Instant Pot cheesy potatoes on the table in 30 minutes.
The first time I made this loaded potato Casserole, it became an instant family favorite.
This quick and easy dish is made in the amazingly handy Instant Pot. Pressure cooking makes wonderfully tender, light, and fluffy potatoes that are perfect for mashing. No water boiling required!
Once mashed and topped with bacon, shredded cheese, and green onions, you can either serve as-is or bake for an irresistible potato casserole.
It is the ultimate comfort food, and excellent for feeding a full hungry household.
New to Instant Pot cooking? Learn how to use the Instant Pot with this quick and easy tutorial with video.
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS POST
- Ingredients for the Best Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes
- How to Make this Easy Loaded Potatoes Recipe
- Loaded Potato Casserole is a Make Ahead Dish
- How to Reheat Instant Pot Loaded Potato Casserole
- See Below for the Complete Instant Pot Loaded Potato Casserole Recipe!
- Here are a Few Tips for Making this Casserole Even Better
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Instant Pot Loaded Potatoes Recipe
- To learn more about using the Instant Pot
- Get More Easy Instant Pot recipes
Ingredients for the Best Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes
- Salt & pepper
- Sour cream – You can substitute Greek yogurt for a lighter version, or cream cheese to add some extra tangy flavor!
- Ranch seasoning mix
- Green onions
- Cooked bacon
How to Make this Easy Loaded Potatoes Recipe
It only takes about 30 minutes to make fluffy, cheesy, terrifically buttery and bacon-y loaded mashed potatoes using the Instant Pot.
Here are the simple steps:
- First, add chopped potatoes, water, and butter to the Instant Pot. Close, seal, and set pressure to cook on high pressure. After a short natural release, turn the steam valve for a quick pressure release.
- Use a masher to mash the potatoes right there in the Instant Pot. Then stir in the milk, sour cream, ranch mix, shredded cheese, and half of the green onion. Stir again, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with cooked chopped bacon and the remaining green onion, and serve warm as is; or, to make as a Loaded Potatoes Casserole, transfer to a casserole dish and bake before serving.
Loaded Potato Casserole is a Make Ahead Dish
Not only is this loaded potato casserole fantastic for an easy weeknight side dish or dinner at home, but it’s also great for serving at large gatherings.
It is perfect for the holidays, especially as a dish-to-pass around the table! The full recipe serves 12 people as a side dish. And, with the “keep warm” feature of the Instant Pot, they’ll be ready to serve when you are.
You can even prep this casserole a few days ahead. Here’s how:
- Once the potatoes are done pressure cooking, let them cool.
- Mash with milk, sour cream, ranch seasoning mix, and half of the cheese and half of the green onions.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to three months.
How to Reheat Instant Pot Loaded Potato Casserole
You can easily reheat prepped or leftover loaded potatoes with any of these methods:
- Bake in a 350º oven for 30 minutes before serving.
- Place them in a slow cooker on low for 2-3 hours.
- Microwave for 2 minutes as a time, stirring in between, until heated through.
If the reheated potatoes seem dry, add a little extra milk while gently stirring until they’re a perfect consistency.
See Below for the Complete Instant Pot Loaded Potato Casserole Recipe!
Here are a Few Tips for Making this Casserole Even Better
- You can use any potatoes for this dish. I’ve found that a mixture of red potatoes and Yukon or russet potatoes is ideal.
- Cut your potatoes into similar sized chunks, about 2″ in size.
- You can use low-fat dairy in this dish, though full fat dairy will deliver a richer texture to the casserole.
Easy to make, right?
We just love these cheesy potatoes made in the Instant Pot. And, I know you will, too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Make Loaded Potato Casserole without an Instant Pot! Boil your potatoes in a large stockpot on your stovetop, then follow the rest of the steps. It is all included in the notes section of the recipe.
Yes! Prepackaged ranch dressing seasoning can contain MSG, so I frequently make my own ranch seasoning mix. Here’s how I substitute the ranch seasoning: 2 Tablespoons Buttermilk Powder (optional), 1 Tablespoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1 teaspoon dried chives, 2 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon dried dill.
Sure, use 4 ounces (1/2 cup) of cream cheese and 1/2 cup of additional milk.
You absolutely can! Use half of the ingredients, but the recipe instructions remain the same – be sure to pressure cook the potatoes for the same amount of time listed.
Instant Pot Loaded Potatoes Recipe
Instant Pot Loaded Potato Casserole
- Instant Pot (or any electric pressure cooker) ** See notes to make without a pressure cooker**
- 5 lbs potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 2" chunks
- 1 ½ sticks butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 packet ranch seasoning mix (see notes for substitutions)
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (green parts only)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, approx ¾ cup (can sub with chopped ham or turkey)
- Add the scrubbed and chopped potatoes, hot water, and butter to the Instant Pot. Add lid, close sealing lever, and cook at high pressure for 7 minutes. After the pressure cycle is complete, allow to naturally release for 10 minutes then initiate a quick release.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher in the pot. Stir in milk, sour cream, ranch mix, cheese, and half the green onions. Add the bacon and green onion on top as garnish before serving.
To serve as a casserole:
- If you prefer to serve this as a casserole, add to a casserole dish and bake at 350º for 15-20 minutes. Top with the green onion and bacon.
To learn more about using the Instant Pot
- How to use the Instant Pot – Mastering the Instant Pot!
- Instant Pot Hacks & Tips – Become an Instant Pot Pro!