As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
This Instant Pot Fresh Green Beans is an easy, delicious, and budget-friendly recipe you can make in your pressure cooker in minutes. It’s perfect for those busy weeknights when you need a quick and healthy vegetable side recipe.
This post will teach you how to make this Instant Pot green beans recipe using fresh or frozen beans.
The great thing about this recipe is it only requires a few simple ingredients and cooks significantly faster in a pressure cooker like the Instant Pot. Also, it is a great way to use up those fresh green beans you may have picked up from the farmer’s market or grocery store.
What we love about Instant Pot Fresh Green Beans
If you’re worried about your food budget, it’s great to know there are affordable foods at the grocery store or farmers’ markets. Fresh green beans in Instant Pot are a great example of this.
They’re also packed with health benefits like fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and are low in calories and fat. And when cooked properly, they are delicious!
You can also make a garden at home and plant some green beans to have a never-ending supply!
This healthy and affordable side dish is perfect for families, and it’s ready in a few minutes!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Green Beans Recipe
- Fresh green beans (see instructions for frozen beans)
- optional: Butter
Equipment Used for this Green Bean Recipe
Notes: If you don’t have a steamer basket, you can use the trivet that came with your Instant Pot pressure cooker and make a foil sling (see below), or just add the green beans to the bottom of the pot over the water.
How to make a foil sling: Take two 30″ strips of heavy-duty aluminum foil and fold them into thirds, lengthwise. Then you can use the ends of the foil to make handles for lowering and raising the pan. Place them in the bottom of the pot, so they form a cross.
Cooking Beans in the Instant Pot
Prepare the beans. First, wash the fresh green beans and trim the ends.
Then pour water into the pot and place the steaming basket. Use hot water to make the cooking process faster. Add the green beans and sprinkle salt on top.
Pressure cook the green beans. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure it is locked. then turn or press the pressure valve to seal the pot (if needed).
Set the pressure cook time to high pressure to steam green beans in an instant pot for 1 minute.
If using frozen green beans, cook them at high pressure for 2 minutes.
Ready to serve. Once the pressure cooker is done, release the steam by pushing the quick release button or turning the lever to let the steam out.
Be sure to use a potholder to lift the steamer basket or trivet from the pot,
Finally, season to taste with salt and butter, if desired. (See other optional variations.)
How to Serve
Once they’re cooked, these Instant Pot fresh green beans can be served in a few different ways:
- One way is to top them with shredded cheese before serving this side dish.
- Another way is to add them to a salad or casserole main dish.
- You could also serve them as a snack with some hummus or dip.
How to Store Cooked Green Beans
These Instant Pot fresh green beans can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. You can also freeze them for up to three months, though it is best to store them before cooking.
When you’re ready to eat them, just reheat them in the microwave or on the stovetop until they’re warm.
Green Bean Recipe Variations
- Season them with all-purpose seasoning for more flavor.
- Add olive oil and minced garlic to your steamed green beans and toss them.
- Grate parmesan cheese on top before serving.
- Make Instant Pot Green Beans with Bacon. Chop and saute the bacon in the Instapot. Then, remove the bacon with tongs to a paper towel. Wipe out the pot. Then pressure cook the beans (as per the recipe) and stir back in the bacon before serving.
Love Instant Pot? Here are some Recipes for you!
Cooking in the Instant Pot is a great way to quickly get dinner on the table. And, since it’s a multi-pot, it can steam vegetables in addition to pressure cooking. You can even use the pot-in-pot method to make casseroles like Instant Pot Ravioli Lasagna and Instant Pot Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole.
Here are some of our favorite Instant Pot recipes:
Get the Full Instant Pot Fresh Green Beans Recipe Here
Instant Pot Green Beans
- 1 pound green beans, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Wash the green beans and trim the ends of the beans. Pour in the cup of water and place the steaming basket or trivet in the bottom of the pot, above the water.
- Place the green beans in the steaming basket or on the trivet and sprinkle the salt on top. Twist the Instant Pot lid on, then turn or press the pressure valve to seal the pot (if needed).
- Set the pressure cook time to high pressure for 1 minute. For frozen green beans, cook them at high pressure for 2 minutes.
- Once the pressure cooking is done, do a quick release by depressing the sealing button or turning the sealing lever to vent the steam away.
- Use a potholder to lift the steamer basket or trivet from the pot. Season to taste and add butter, if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, just use the wire trivet that came with your Instant Pot or pressure cooker and lay the beans over that. Layer the beans in the opposite direction of the trivet rack, so the beans don’t fall through.
Or use a foil sling (see directions above or recipe card for u0022how to make a foil slingu0022) and place the beans on that. You can also add the green beans to the bottom of the pot over the water.
You can cook fresh raw beans in an Instant Pot for about 1 minute. If you want frozen beans, they will cook within 3 minutes. The time it takes to cook frozen beans depends on the size of the pieces and how much water you use.
Yes, just follow the pressure cooking directions listed. The buttons on the front of the Ninja Foodi should be the same as that
For frozen green beans Instant Pot directions, add 1 minute to pressure cooking for frozen.