This family favorite Tater Tot Turkey Casserole is loaded with tater tots, ground turkey, and veggies in one dish or skillet for an easy weeknight dinner recipe. Use your leftover Thanksgiving turkey by substituting it for the ground turkey in this hot dish casserole!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
Looking for an easy one-pan meal the whole family will love? Try this tater tot turkey casserole! This delicious dish is the perfect comfort food for families on the go. And it’s sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
All made in one pan or skillet, this tater tot casserole is perfect for busy weeknights. Simply add ground turkey (or beef) and veggies of your choice, and you are good to go!
Why we love this Tater Tot Recipe
My family loves recipes with tater tots. And this tater tot turkey casserole is no exception! Not only is it an easy one-pan meal that’s delicious and nutritious. But, it’s easy to sneak some extra veggies into my family’s diet. Win-win!
I mean, what’s not to like? Ground turkey meat and crispy tater tots are covered in melted shredded cheese. No one will even notice those sauteed veggies.
Everything comes together for a dish that’s full of protein and nutrients. You can feel good about serving this comfort dish to your family.
Also, this recipe is idea for a quick weeknight dinner because it’s ready in a little over 30 minutes. Simply cook your ground turkey and veggies, then layer them with tater tots and cheese. Then bake until the tater tots are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Love tater tots? Be sure to check out our other recipes with tater tots like tater tot with green beans, loaded tater tots, ham tater tot breakfast casserole, chicken tater tot, and chili tater tot casserole.
Equipment Used for this Tater Tot Recipe
What you’ll need for Tater Tot Turkey Casserole
- Ground turkey or turkey sausage
- Tater tots
- Green beans – frozen or fresh
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, minced or pressed
- Cream of mushroom soup – *see notes for soup variations
- Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Note: Use up that leftover turkey meat by swapping out 3 cups of shredded or chopped turkey meat for the ground turkey!
How to make Tater Tot Turkey Casserole
Prepare. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
Cook the ground turkey. Brown ground turkey in a 10-12″ skillet over medium heat.
Add green beans, chopped onion, and garlic to the skillet. Cook until the onions are translucent. Drain any fat from the pan.
Mix in the vegetables. Stir in the cream of mushroom soup and mix it into the turkey and vegetable mixture. If your skillet is oven-safe, you can continue on to the next step. But if it’s not, you can add the mixture to a round or oblong casserole dish.
Layer the tater tot and cheese. Sprinkle half of the grated cheese over the top of the casserole. Then add a layer of frozen tater tots. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
Baking the tater tot casserole. Bake uncovered casserole at 375º for 30 minutes until the cheese and tater tot topping is golden brown, and the edges of the casserole are bubbly.
Ready to Serve. Let cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
Tater Tot Casserole Recipe variations
- Tater tot hamburger casserole: swap the ground turkey with ground beef for a delicious tater tot hamburger casserole.
- Chicken tater tot casserole: you can also use leftover diced cooked chicken in place of the ground turkey.
- Tater tot casserole with corn: Add a can of drained and rinsed corn or swap it with green beans for tater tot casserole with corn.
- Vegetarian tater tot: leave out the meat and add an extra can of mushrooms or swap them for diced zucchini, yellow squash, or eggplant.
- Use your leftover Thanksgiving turkey for this turkey tater tot casserole. Simply add the turkey and veggies together and cook as directed in step 2 of the recipe.
- Use any of Campbell’s condensed cream soups, like cheddar cheese soup, cream of chicken, cream of celery, or cream of potato.
- Swap the green beans for asparagus and use cream of asparagus soup.
- Use frozen mixed vegetables instead of green beans.
- For a little spice, add a can of diced green chilies, or red pepper flakes.
How to Serve Tater Tot Casserole with Veggies
To serve, garnish with sour cream, sliced green onion, or parsley. You can serve this Tater Tot Casserole with ground turkey and veggies with a side of ranch dressing or ketchup for dipping.
How to Store Ground Turkey Tater Tot Casserole
Tater Tot Turkey Casserole leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to four days. To reheat, bake in a 350ºF oven until warmed through. You can also reheat this casserole dish in the microwave, covered, on 50% power for three to four minutes stirring once halfway through.
Make ahead instructions
This ground turkey casserole with cream of mushroom soup can be made ahead! Just follow steps 1-3 in the instructions, then cover and refrigerate the casserole for up to 3 days.
When ready to bake, let the casserole sit at room temperature while you preheat the oven. Then proceed with step four and bake as directed.
Can I freeze this Tater Tot Ground Turkey Casserole?
You can also this ground turkey casserole with cream of mushroom soup. Let cool completely then transfer to an airtight freezer-safe container or bag and freeze for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator then bake as directed above.
Get the Full Tater Tot Turkey Casserole Here
Tater Tot Turkey Casserole
- 10-11 inch oven-safe skillet (like a cast-iron skillet)
- OR a non-stick skillet and casserole dish
- 1 pound ground turkey or turkey sausage (can substitute 3 cups of shredded, cooked turkey meat)
- 12 ounces (about 3 cups) frozen or fresh green beans chopped into 1" pieces
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 can (10 oz.) cream of mushroom soup (see notes for soup variations)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated or shredded, divided
- 16 ounces frozen tater tots (smaller sized bag or 1/2 of a larger bag)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Brown ground turkey in a 10-11" skillet over medium heat. Drain fat from the pan. Add green beans, chopped onion, and garlic to skillet and saute until onions turn translucent.
- Stir in cream of mushroom soup and mix into the turkey and vegetable mixture. If your skillet is oven-safe, continue on to the next step. Otherwise, add the mixture to a round or oblong casserole dish.
- Sprinkle half the grated cheese evenly across the top. Then top the casserole with a layer of tater tots and the rest of the cheese.
- Bake at 375º uncovered for 33-35 minutes until the cheese, and tater tot topping is golden brown and the edges of the casserole are bubbly.
- Let cool at least 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with sour cream, sliced green onion, or parsley.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, Ore Ida tater tots are gluten-free because they are made with potatoes.