If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
One-pan tater tot hotdish is easy to make as a hearty dinner to feed a hungry crowd. This classic chicken tater tot casserole recipe is made with layers of chicken tenderloins, broccoli, and cream of chicken soup – all topped with frozen tater tots and a generous amount of shredded cheddar cheese. Savory, satisfying chicken tater bake is ready to serve as a complete meal in under an hour!
What Is Chicken Tater Bake?
My husband, on the other hand, is a Midwesterner who was raised on classic comfort food recipes, like hotdishes (casseroles) and hearty proteins with mashed potatoes and gravy.
When I originally discovered this one-skillet chicken tater tot casserole recipe, I knew it was going to be a hit for us both. It’s like chicken pot pie, but even better!
This hotdish tater tot casserole with cream of chicken features juicy chicken breast tenderloins combined with broccoli. Then a layer of crispy tater tots and cheese is added on top for the ultimate of comfort dinners sure to please everyone at the table.
In fact, in some regions, the dish is known as cracked-out chicken tater tot casserole because it’s just that addicting. Each bite is the perfect balance of creamy, crunchy, and juicy, with deliciously rich and savory flavors.
Start to finish this recipe is made in just over 40 minutes. And because it uses ready-to-go ingredients prep is a breeze.
This chicken tater tot casserole is even great as a make-ahead dish! In fact, I often put together two pans at once: one to freeze and have on hand for last-minute BBQs or potlucks, and one to eat that night.
Chicken tenders tater tot hotdish with cream of chicken soup and broccoli is a complete meal in one pan. Or pair it with your favorite side dishes for an even heartier dinner to feed a hungry crowd!
7 Ingredients You Need
There are only 7 pantry staple ingredients in this fabulous chicken broccoli tater tot casserole recipe. I keep all of these stocked in the kitchen whenever I need to put together a last-minute one-skillet meal.
- Chicken tenderloin (chicken tenders) – or chicken breasts
- Onion – chopped
- Garlic – minced or pressed
- Cream of chicken soup – keep reading for other variations
- Broccoli – fresh or frozen
- Cheddar cheese – shredded or grated
- Tater tots – regular or mini sized, frozen
Plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Instead of chicken tenderloin or chicken tenders you can make this tater bake with chicken breasts cut into 1-2″ strips.
- Use leftover turkey in this recipe (instead of chicken) to make a turkey tater tot casserole! It’s the perfect way to use up your leftover turkey from Thanksgiving
- The classic tater tot hotdish recipe is made with cream of chicken soup, but feel free to use any of Campbell’s condensed cream soups. Cream of asparagus, mushroom, and celery are great options. Or use cheddar cheese soup for extra cheesy goodness!
- Make the casserole with different veggies you like. Broccoli is a traditional choice, but other rather sturdy vegetables will bake well! Try cauliflower, green beans, or peas and carrots.
Simple Steps to Making the Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Saute the chicken tenders until golden on the outside. Remove to a plate and cover with foil which sauteing chopped onion, and garlic.
- Shred or chop chicken tenderloins, and add to skillet. Stir in canned soup and broccoli. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly across the top then add a layer of tater tots.
- Bake until the tater tots are golden brown and the edges of the casserole are bubbly. Garnish with sour cream, sliced green onion, or parsley.
Make this a make-ahead dish! After assembling the casserole, cover and refrigerate the casserole for up to 3 days.
When ready to prepare, preheat the oven and bake at 375º F for 35-40 minutes. The chicken tater tots are ready when are golden brown and the edges of the casserole are bubbly.
Let cool 5 minutes before serving, then garnish with sour cream, sliced green onion, or parsley.
Here’s The Full Cheesy CHicken Tater Tot Hotdish Recipe:
Chicken Tater Tot Casserole with Broccoli
- 10-12" oven-safe skillet (like a cast-iron skillet)
- OR a non-stick skillet and casserole dish
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins or chicken tenders (can substitute with chicken breasts cut into 1" to 2" strips)
- 1 cup onion, chopped (1 small onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 can (10 oz.) cream of chicken soup (see notes for soup variations)
- 1 cup broccoli
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated or shredded
- 16 ounces (1/2 bag) frozen tater tots
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Saute chicken tenders in a 10-12" skillet over medium heat until lightly golden, about 5 – 7 minutes. Remove them to a plate and cover with foil.
- Saute chopped onion, and garlic in butter, until onions are translucent. Stir in canned soup and broccoli.
- Shred or chop chicken tenderloins and add to skillet. If your skillet is oven-safe, continue on to the next step. Otherwise, add the mixture to a round or oblong casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly across the top. Then top the casserole with a layer of tater tots.
- Bake at 375º uncovered for 30 minutes, until the tater tots are golden brown and the edges of the casserole are bubbly. Let cool 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with sour cream, sliced green onion, or parsley.