If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
We all love roasted turkey for the holidays – so why not enjoy it throughout the entire year? Don’t be chicken, give this easy turkey tenderloin recipe a chance! Lean, juicy turkey breast tenderloins are perfect to marinade and oven roast to tender perfection in less than an hour. Serve this for a small Thanksgiving dinner or pair with your favorite comforting sides for a family-friendly dinner that’s delicious any night of the week.
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS POST
- What is a Turkey Tenderloin?
- Ingredients Needed to Make the Best Turkey Tenderloin
- How to Make this Oven Roasted Turkey Breast Tenderloin Recipe
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The Full Roasted Turkey Tenderloins Recipe
What is a Turkey Tenderloin?
The tenderloin cut is a thick strip of boneless and skinless meat cut from between the bird’s breasts. Similar to a chicken tenderloin, the turkey tenderloin is partially attached to the breast.
Since the tenderloin doesn’t get much of a workout when the bird is alive, the meat is particularly tender. That makes turkey tenderloin a convenient, delicious, and healthy alternative to chicken breast and other poultry cuts.
Turkey tenderloins are typically sold in packages of two. My favorite brand to buy is Jennie-O and I can find them year-round at Walmart.
For larger Thanksgiving gatherings, my Buttermilk Brined Turkey Breast is the ideal centerpiece for your dinner.
How to Cook Turkey Tenderloins
Like chicken breasts, turkey tenderloin is incredibly versatile, and ideal for roasting in the oven, pan-searing in the skillet, or grilling. Here we’re sharing with you our favorite way to oven roast the turkey – it’s an easy recipe that yields deep, savory flavor.
What’s the secret? Add incredible flavor simply by marinating the tenderloins before cooking with your preferred method.
Check out our Instant Pot turkey tenderloins recipe with mashed potatoes and gravy for the ultimate in comfort dinners!
Ingredients Needed to Make the Best Turkey Tenderloin
- Turkey tenderloins
To make the Turkey Tenderloin Marinade
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Crushed cloves
- Dried thyme
- Dried rosemary
- Sea salt and pepper
How to Make this Oven Roasted Turkey Breast Tenderloin Recipe
Make the Turkey Breast Tenderloins Marinade
Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Place the turkey in the bowl, or add to a large sealed zipper bag along with the marinade. Toss to coat.
Cover and refrigerate the meat for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours (or overnight).
Roast The Tenderloins
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the turkey from the marinade, place on a prepared baking sheet, and discard the marinade.
- If desired, add a hearty vegetable like potatoes (these potatoes are cut in quarters) to the roasting pan.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes. Check the temperature of the center of the turkey roast for doneness.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes and no…the tenderloin runs between and is attached under the breasts. It’s typically sold separately from a bone-in turkey breast.
Check for doneness by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the tenderloin. The temperature register 165 degrees Fahrenheit for this boneless turkey.
Get a taste of Thanksgiving anytime by serving with classic sides, from creamy mashed potatoes and stuffing, to cranberry sauce and – of course – freshly made yeast rolls. Roasted turkey also is fantastic with comfort food favorites like Instant Pot Rice-A-Roni, loaded smashed potatoes, and amazing smoked mac and cheese.
Roasted turkey tenderloins will last up to 4 days stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator. They also are great to freeze! Once cooled transfer them to a freezer-safe zipper bag, and keep them stored for up to 3 months.
The Full Roasted Turkey Tenderloins Recipe
Oven Roasted Turkey Tenderloin Recipe
- Roasting pan or shallow oven-safe casserole dish
- 2 turkey breast tenderloins (about 1½ pounds)
Turkey Tenderloin Marinade
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 6 sprigs fresh thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (or 1 sprig fresh rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, garlic, herbs, and seasonings until evenly combined.
- Place the turkey in the bowl (or in a gallon-sized Ziplock bag) with the marinade and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 8 hours to allow the flavors to infuse with the turkey tenderloins.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (roast or bake setting). Spray roasting pan or shallow casserole dish with cooking oil.
- Remove the tenderloins from the marinade and discard the marinade. Add turkey breast tenderloins to the roasting pan or dish. If desired, add a hearty vegetable, like potatoes to the roasting pan with the turkey tenderloin.
- Roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Turkey tenders are done when a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the tenderloin, registers 165 degrees F. Remove the turkey from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes, before slicing and serving.
Check out These turkey recipes
- The Best Turkey Meatloaf
- Buttermilk Brined Turkey Breast
- Grilled Turkey Burgers
- Instant Pot Turkey Tenderloin with Potatoes and Gravy