This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
This easy Instant Pot recipe uses unpeeled potatoes and a foolproof, no drain method to make the easiest, fluffiest mashed potatoes every time. And, these potatoes are made with wholesome ingredients like real cream and butter to ensure that you’ll have the most flavorful potatoes possible. These quick and delicious, no drain Instant Pot mashed potatoes will definitely be your new favorite side dish!Jump to Recipe
Easy Mashed Potatoes in the Instant Pot
Mashed potatoes are one of the most iconic and beloved side dishes at the family dinner table. Fluffy, creamy potatoes go well with everything from chicken to steak, and nearly any savory dish in between.
There is something so comforting about seeing a giant scoop on your plate… You just know you are about to eat a seriously satisfying meal.
As popular as mashed potatoes are, they can be a difficult dish to make. Traditional cooking methods are tedious, often requiring lots of peeling and draining to get right.
It seems to take forever to get the water boiling, and then heaven help you if you boil the potatoes for too long. You wind up with MUSHED potatoes instead!
Never fear. I’ve come up with the best recipe for using the trusty Instant Pot to take the effort and guesswork out of making perfect mashed potatoes every time.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes – No Drain
My foolproof method is terrific even with unpeeled potatoes, and requires no draining at all.
Simply add ingredients, set the pressure cooker, mash, and stir. Done!
It is incredibly easy to make mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot. Thanks to pressure cooking, the potatoes are actually steamed in broth. So they’re lower in calories and fat than most stove top recipes.
You’ll love this Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes – no drain recipe!
Become an Instant Pot Pro with my Tips!
TFN Tip: Be sure to read your owner’s manual before you start using your Instant Pot. Each brand is slightly different to operate, although cooking times are pretty universal.
If you are new to pressure cooking, I highly recommend that you first check out my post How to Use the Instant Pot 101.
My Tips & Hacks for the Instant Pot is terrific for new owners and seasoned IP-ers alike!
What Ingredients are in No Drain Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Only a handful of simple, wholesome ingredients are needed to make the best no peel, no drain mashed potatoes from scratch.
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Chives – optional
I personally think that the best mashed potatoes are made with Yukon Gold yellow potatoes. But feel free to use russet potatoes or red potatoes to make this recipe.
How to Make the Best Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (No Drain)
Peeling the potatoes is totally optional for this recipe. I love no-peel mashed potatoes with the skin left on for a bit of texture. But, it is all about personal preference!
Here is how to make easy mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot:
- First, prep the potatoes by scrubbing and chopping into large chunks.
- Next, add the potatoes and chicken broth to the Instant Pot. Add lid, close the sealing lever, and cook at high pressure for 7 minutes. After the pressure cycle is complete, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, and then initiate a quick release by turning the sealing lever.
- You then mash the potatoes with a potato masher right in the pot. Stir in the heavy cream and add the butter. Top with fresh chopped chives and ground pepper, if desired.
Prep pointers: After pressure cooking, a bit of broth will be visible. Once you mash the potatoes, they will absorb the extra broth to become smooth and creamy.
Serve the potatoes right away while warm. You can keep leftovers cooled to room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days.
See Below for the Complete Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe + Video!
Frequently Asked Questions
Make cheesy garlic mashed potatoes with this easy recipe: add 2 minced garlic cloves before pressure cooking, and then stir in 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese with the cream and butter after mashing.
Try our Instant Pot Loaded Potato Casserole for a similar recipe with lots of yummy bacon, cheese, and chives!
Absolutely these potatoes are a great make-ahead dish. After step one, allow the potatoes to cool. Place them into a gallon-sized freezer bag and refrigerate for 1-3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To serve, thaw the frozen potatoes in the refrigerator. Then reheat, mash, and mix with heavy cream and butter per the remainder of the recipe.
Serve these fluffy, creamy mashed potatoes with pan seared chicken breasts and a simple gravy for a classic winner of a dinner.
These no-peel mashed potatoes are also delicious with my tender and juicy Buttermilk Brined Pork Chops.
And for a bold, bright, lemony taste try this easy Chicken Piccata recipe with a side of potatoes and a fresh green salad.
Nope! Just add the potatoes and broth on the bottom of the pot for the fluffy, evenly cooked potatoes.
Yes, with these easy modifications: after pressure cooking, drain off the leftover broth reserving it. Add 1/2 cup of milk in place of cream. Use the leftover broth as needed for the perfect consistency.
Get the Easiest Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe Here:
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (No Drain)
- Instant Pot (or any electric pressure cooker)
- 6 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cut in quarters (for large potatoes, cut into eighths)
- 1 ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream*
- 2 Tbsp butter
- fresh chives, chopped (optional)
- Add the potatoes and broth to the bottom of the Instant Pot (don't use the trivet). Add lid, close sealing lever, and cook at high pressure for 7 minutes. After the pressure cycle is complete, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then initiate a quick release by turning the sealing lever.
- There will be broth visible in the bottom of the pot, but once you mash the potatoes, it will be completely absorbed.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher in the pot. Stir in cream and butter. Top with fresh chives and ground pepper, if desired.
Shop my Instant Pot Recommendations
Here are more easy side dishes you’ll love:
- Sourdough Stuffing – A Family Favorite
- Smoked Mac and Cheese
- Ultimate Instant Pot Pinto Beans
- Easy 3 Ingredient Biscuits
- Loaded Tater Tots