These sourdough banana muffins are soft and tender and they are the perfect size for a quick breakfast or a light dessert. The sourdough starter gives them a sweet and tangy flavor. It also helps them last longer and it’s a great way to use up the sourdough discard. You can make these banana sourdough muffins in about 30 minutes. They will be warm and delicious, and you can store a few for the week!
What’s Covered in this post
Why We Love Sourdough Starter Banana Muffins
Muffins are a delicious way to start or end the day. They are perfect for breakfast, snacks, or dessert. No matter what time it is, muffins are always a good choice!
And banana muffins are a classic. They’re loaded with the delicious baked banana flavor in every bite, and they’ll always put a smile on your face anytime you want something a little sweet.
We’ve made classic muffins with banana even better by adding a homemade sourdough starter. Also, the crumb is moist and spongey, and the sourdough tanginess really makes it stand out.
Plus, the extra enzymes in the sourdough help to keep the muffins fresher for longer and are great for gut health. (Hooray for foods that are good for you and actually taste good!)
These sourdough banana muffins are just like our sourdough banana bread recipe, but they are in muffin form. They are soft and fluffy but also hearty and satisfying. They have the right balance of tangy sweetness throughout.
Bonus: This sourdough muffin recipe is ready to enjoy in only 30 minutes.
You can also add your favorite goodies, like baking chips or chopped nuts to these uniquely delicious and perfectly tangy treats.
Sourdough starter banana muffins are good to make ahead and have during the week. They are also good to bake last minute for brunches, picnics, and potlucks. You can also make a quick batch whenever you get a craving!
Ingredients For Banana Muffins From Sourdough Discard
- Unsalted butter – room temperature
- Brown sugar – packed
- Ripe bananas – mashed
- Honey – or maple syrup
- Eggs – for a tender, fluffy loaf
- Vanilla extract – a must-have for the best baked goods
- Sourdough starter – here’s my easy homemade recipe
- Baking powder and Baking soda – together create a lovely rise, no eggs or yeast needed
- Salt – just a pinch to balance the sweetness
- All-purpose flour
Feel free to also add chopped nuts or chocolate chips for more decadent muffins.
Kitchen TOols needed
How to Make Sourdough Banana Muffins
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease your muffin cups or line with muffin pan liners.
Combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Mix by hand until smooth, about 2 minutes. Or use a stand or hand mixer on low speed for 1-2 minutes, until the mixture is smooth.
Pour the banana bread mixture into the prepared muffin pan, filling almost to the top. Then let rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
Allow bread loaf to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin tin or cooling rack before removing and serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Traditional sourdough starter is made with wheat flour. However, you can use a gluten-free starter and a GF-friendly all-purpose flour substitute.
Chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, or butterscotch chips are all great to make extra sweet baked goodies. Or add in nuts like chopped walnuts or almonds. You can even mix in a bit of both!
Keep stored in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Sourdough discard muffins are great to freeze. Wrap the muffins individually in plastic wrap and then place them all in an airtight plastic zipper bag. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Easy Recipe for Banana Muffins with Sourdough Discard
Sourdough Banana Muffins
- 1 standard muffin pan
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease your muffin cups or line with muffin pan liners.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Mix by hand until smooth, about 2 minutes. Or use a stand or hand mixer on low speed for 1-2 minutes, until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in mashed bananas, honey, eggs, vanilla extract, sourdough starter, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Combine until smooth, though there might be small lumps of banana. Add all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring in between. Then, add nuts or chocolate chips if using.
- Pour the banana bread mixture into the prepared muffin pan, filling almost to the top. Let rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Allow bread loaf to cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing and serving.