Everyone loves a warm, fluffy, and tender banana muffin as a tasty breakfast treat or anytime snack. And this terrifically easy one bowl banana muffin recipe is made with everyone’s favorite boxed baking mix! Bisquick banana bread muffins (with or without chocolate chips or nuts!) are practically effortless and nearly no-fail baked goods that are quick to make in only 30 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS POST
- Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Kitchen Tools Needed
- Shop This Post
- How to Make Bisquick Banana Bread Muffins
- How To make Bisquick Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Can I Freeze ThEse Banana Muffins With Bisquick?
- Tips for Making Super Moist Muffins
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Get the full Quick and Easy Banana bread Muffin Recipe
- Get More Easy Bisquick Recipes
Banana muffins are one of those fabulously versatile baked treats that are great to enjoy any time of the day. Packed with sweet yet nutritious bananas and just a few additional pantry staples, they’re terrific for breakfast, snack time, or even as a slightly healthier dessert.
Similar to our Sourdough Banana Muffins, this recipe is a snap to make in just 30 minutes. However, thanks to the perfect proportions of baking ingredients you get from using a boxed baking mix, the recipe is basically foolproof and even easier to prepare.
Bisquick banana muffins are consistently soft, moist, and tender… everything you want in a classic muffin made quick and easy right at home!
Just 20 minutes later you are ready to enjoy melt-in-your-mouth muffins that taste entirely scratch-made. (It’s entirely up to you whether or not to tell the family our little Bisquick baking mix secret!)
Serve immediately for a relaxing and no-fuss weekend breakfast or brunch. Or keep them on the counter for grab-and-go breakfasts throughout the week.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Butter – we used unsalted butter as a fat source in this recipe. You can also use melted coconut oil or vegetable oil.
- Sugar – brown sugar helps to add flavor and moisture to the muffins. You can also use white sugar, or a combination of the two.
- Vanilla extract – the key ingredient for the best baked treats. Substitute with almond extract, if desired.
- Ripe bananas – the star of the show! the riper the better!
- Egg – used for binding and structure.
- Bisquick baking mix – can also use a homemade mix, see below
Kitchen Tools Needed
What can I substitute for Bisquick?
No original Bisquick biscuit mix in the pantry? No problem! Get my easy recipe to make your own homemade baking mix for this and other Bisquick recipes.
Or you can also try another bread recipe and make our Banana Bread with Self Rising Flour.
Can I Make Muffins Without Butter?
You can make these muffins without butter, though I highly recommend using butter for the amazing taste creaminess it brings to this muffin recipe. Substitute the butter with cooking oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, Crisco or vegetable shortening.
Do not substitute butter for margarine here. If you need to cut back on the fat, replace the butter with applesauce.
Do I Need a Mixer for This Recipe?
No, you can make this Bisquick banana muffin recipe without a mixer. I suggest using a dough whisk to mix the batter. This handy tool is perfect for mixing dough and batter.
How to Make Bisquick Banana Bread Muffins
Make banana bread muffins with Bisquick in 5 easy steps:
Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Lightly grease your muffin pan or use muffin cups liners.
Combine the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Mix by hand until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Stir in mashed bananas, eggs, and baking powder. Add Bisquick baking mix, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring in between. Then add nuts, if using.
Pour the banana bread muffin batter into the cups of the muffin pan, filling 3/4.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean. Serve warm with butter and honey.
How To make Bisquick Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Stir in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, mini chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or peanut butter chips just before pouring the batter into a muffin tin.
Can I Freeze ThEse Banana Muffins With Bisquick?
These banana muffins made with Bisquick are also great to freeze!
In fact, I recommend that you make a double batch. That way you can enjoy some now, and have plenty of muffins ready to go whenever you need a lightly sweet but wholly satisfying snack.
To freeze: Let the muffins cool completely, then wrap individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Transfer the wrapped muffins to an airtight freezer-safe zipper bag, and store them together in the freezer. They’ll keep well for up to 3 months.
Tips for Making Super Moist Muffins
Use very, very ripe bananas for super moist muffins. Bananas with lots of brown spots or even solid brown exterior are best.
Do not over mix the muffin batter. After adding the Bisquick, stir until just mixed. A few lumps are fine.
After 20 minutes, test the muffins for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the muffins. If it comes out clean, they are ready.
Frequently Asked Questions
Mix in 1/2 cup of your favorite chopped nuts before pouring the batter into a muffin tin. Classic nuts to use in this recipe include walnuts or pecans, but feel free to use whatever chopped nuts you like!
The best way to store homemade muffins is at room temperature for up to 5 days. I suggest you wrap each muffin tightly in plastic, or store in a large airtight zipper bag.
Let them cool completely, then wrap individual muffins in plastic wrap. Transfer all of the wrapped muffins to an airtight freezer-safe zipper bag, and store together in the freezer. They’ll keep well for up to 3 months.
I do not recommend that you halve the recipe. As-is this recipe uses 1 egg, which is quite difficult to halve; using a whole egg in a half batch will make the muffins too dense and spongey.
However, you absolutely can double the recipe to make two dozen (24) muffins.
Get the full Quick and Easy Banana bread Muffin Recipe
Bisquick Banana Muffins
- 1 muffin pan (regular sized)
- 1/3 cup (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed (the riper, the better!)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups Bisquick original baking mix (see notes for a DIY baking mix)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips mu
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Lightly grease your muffin pans or use muffin pan liners.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Mix by hand until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in mashed bananas and eggs. Combine until smooth with some lumps of banana. Add original Bisquick baking mix, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring in between. Then add chopped nuts or chocolate chips, if using.
- Pour the banana bread muffin batter into the cups of the muffin pan, filling 3/4.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean. Serve warm with butter and honey.