Savory sausage balls loaded with cheese are a classic appetizer and snack that everyone loves. Spicy, moist sausage is combined with cheddar cheese and Bisquick baking mix for vibrant, comforting flavor in every bite.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
This quick and easy 3 ingredient Bisquick sausage cheese ball recipe only takes 30 minutes to make!
Scoop up a batch (or two!) for your next gathering, and freeze extra Bisquick sausage balls to have handy for any occasion.
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS POST
- The Best Cheesy Sausage Balls With Bisquick
- 3 Ingredients You Need
- Kitchen Tools Needed
- How to Make Bisquick Sausage Cheese Balls
- How to Serve Bisquick Sausage Balls With Cheese
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Get Our Easy 3 Ingredient Bisquick Sausage Balls With Cheese Recipe Here
- Get More Savory Bisquick Recipes Here
The Best Cheesy Sausage Balls With Bisquick
One of the many reasons I love Bisquick is its versatility. From pancakes and waffles, to baked chicken and cobblers, that signature yellow-box baking mix is great to make sweet and savory dishes with ease.
But you don’t really need original Bisquick! Get the linked recipe for how to make your own homemade DIY Bisquick from regular flour, baking powder, shortening, and salt.
With this easy baking mix on hand, either store-bought or homemade, you can make any of our Bisquick recipes.
This Bisquick sausage balls recipe includes only 3 simple ingredients! The baking mix is combined with spicy or sweet ground sausage and shredded cheddar cheese. Then simply scoop and bake for 20 minutes to crispy, golden, cheesy perfection.
And with just a few simple tweaks you can easily make this a gluten-free Bisquick sausage balls recipe with your choice of healthy proteins!
Classic sausage balls with cheese are always a big hit for family snacks and gatherings of all sizes.
Serve with dipping sauces as a perfect appetizer for the holidays, tailgating, parties, or game day. Or eat them as-is right off of the baking sheet (after cooling!)!
I highly suggest that you make 3 ingredient cheesy sausage balls ahead in large batches to enjoy right away, and freeze more to have ready for last-minute get-togethers.
You never know when the craving for a savory, cheesy, moist, and flavorful snack will attack!
3 Ingredients You Need
- Ground pork sausage – I like using Jimmy Dean hot breakfast sausage or hot Italian sausage
- Sharp cheddar cheese – freshly grated/shredded
- Bisquick baking mix – that classic yellow box
You can also add sliced green onions to the mix for a pop of fresh flavor.
Make your own pancake and baking mix! The recipe and directions to make a DIY Bisquick Mix are linked.
Kitchen Tools Needed
How to Make Bisquick Sausage Cheese Balls
Add the ground sausage, freshly shredded or grated cheddar cheese, Bisquick baking mix, and green onions (if using) to a large bowl.
Use clean and slightly damp hands, a potato masher, or a stand mixer to combine the 3 ingredients.
If using your hands I have found that kneading or folding the Bisquick and cheese into the ground sausage works best.
There are so many fun and easy ways to customize this classic recipe! Here are a few suggestions, along with handy tips for no-fail sausage balls with Bisquick:
- Lighten this dish up a bit by swapping ground pork for ground chicken or turkey. If using a lower fat sausage, like chicken or turkey, add 2 tablespoons of milk or melted butter to the sausage mixture to keep the meatballs moist.
- Make gluten-free sausage balls by simply using Gluten Free Bisquick mix in place of Original Bisquick.
Tips for Making the Best Cheesy Sausage Balls
With these easy tips, you are sure to serve up moist, tender, zesty sausage meatballs every time!
Shred or grate your own cheese for the best results. Packaged shredded cheese contains anti-caking agents that can cause your sausage balls to crack and dry out. Freshly grated cheese melts smoothly providing the cheesiest sausage balls.
I prefer using hot Jimmy Dean sausage for these sausage balls. It gives a mild kick of flavor to the meatballs.
The mixture of it along with the sharp cheddar cheese is tangy and delicious and only mildly spicy. However, for a milder taste, you can use unseasoned or less-spicy breakfast sausage.
Kick up the spiciness even more by swapping the cheddar cheese with shredded pepper jack cheese.
How to Serve Bisquick Sausage Balls With Cheese
Once made, use the slow cooker to keep them warm between baking and serving. Preheat the crock to the warm setting while the sausage balls are baking, then add them to the slow cooker to keep warm until ready to serve.
If you love appetizers, check out these easy appetizer recipes
- Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers
- Mini Cheese Biscuits
- Loaded Tater Tots Appetizer
- Pretzel Balls from Ready-Dough
- Pretzel Cheese Dip
- Tater Tot Egg Nests
- Easy Party Appetizers
- Italian Sliders
- 3 Ingredient Biscuits
- How to Make a Cheese and Charcuterie Board
Frequently Asked Questions
Using packaged shredded cheese can cause crumbly sausage balls, as well as lower-fat types of sausage. See recipe notes for the best results.
They will keep well for up to 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator. Let the balls cool to room temperature before transferring them to a sealed container and placing them in the fridge.
First, form the sausage balls, then flash freeze the meatballs before baking. Then store them in a freezer-safe container, like a Ziplock bag for up to 3 months. Let thaw at room temperature for an hour before baking.
Get Our Easy 3 Ingredient Bisquick Sausage Balls With Cheese Recipe Here
Bisquick Sausage Balls (with cheese!)
- Baking Sheet
- parchment paper or aluminum foil
- 1 pound ground pork sausage (I like using Jimmy Dean hot breakfast sausage or hot Italian sausage)
- 4 cups (16 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded/grated) (freshly shredded works best)
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix (see notes below for how to make a DIY baking mix)
- 1/2 cup green onion, green part, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375º Fahrenheit. Prepare the baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Add the ground sausage, shredded cheddar cheese, baking mix, and green onion (if using) to a large mixing bowl. Use clean hands, a potato masher, or stand mixer to mix the sausage ball mixture together. If using your hands, it is best to knead or fold the Bisquick and cheese into the ground sausage works best.
- Use a medium scoop or large tablespoon to make 24 sausage balls, about the size of a golf ball. Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 375º Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes, until the meatballs are lightly golden brown in color. Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure the center of the sausage balls registers 145º Fahrenheit in temperature.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, like a marinara sauce or a zesty BBQ.