Tortellini Caprese skewers are the ideal easy no-bake appetizers to make as your next party snack. Everyone will love the Caprese kabob skewers with a balsamic drizzle. So grab the ingredients and get started on this amazing tortellini appetizer!
Content Covered Here
Easy Caprese Appetizer on a Stick
This easy kabob party appetizer is a twist on the classic Caprese salad, but on a stick! Since they are made with cheese tortellini, mozzarella, tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves.
These fun and tasty kabobs are simple to make and taste delicious. Plus, they are perfect for any event. Serve them at birthday parties or game day gatherings.
I love these Caprese snacks because they are delicious, elegant, and so easy to put together. This tortellini appetizer is always a hit at parties, BBQs, or potlucks.
Plus, it is ready in only 20 minutes. So, let’s make some!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Grape tomatoes – You can also use sun-dried tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes.
- Basil leaves – Fresh basil leaves add a nice flavor to the skewers. You can also use Purple Basil leaves for a unique twist.
- Tortellini – We used cheese tortellini for this recipe. You can also use any type of Tortellini you prefer, such as Spinach or Mushroom Tortellini.
- Mozzarella – You can use mini mozzarella balls, regular-sized mozzarella balls, or cubes of mozzarella.
- Balsamic vinegar glaze – to substitute balsamic glaze, use 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar. Boil on the stove until the vinegar has reduced by half for about 5-7 minutes.
You can also microwave the balsamic vinegar. To do this, put it in a microwave-safe bowl and cook it for 30 seconds at a time until it has reduced by half. This should take about 6 rounds of microwaving.
Equipment For This Caprese snack
- Bamboo skewers (to hold the stacked Caprese snack)
- Sauce pan or stock pot (for cooking the pasta)
- Colander (to drain and rinse)
Making the Tortellini Caprese Skewers
Cook the Cheese Tortellini
Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Then, wash the cherry tomatoes and basil leaves, and let them dry.
Add the cheese tortellini to the pot of water. Reduce the heat to a gentle boil right away.
Cook the pasta for the time listed on the package. No more than 5 minutes for fresh pasta.
Note: Boil the pasta at a gentle boil, or it will open up too much and soften. This will make it difficult for the pasta to stay on the sticks. So boil it gently to keep it firm.
After cooking the pasta, drain and rinse it in cold water right away. This will keep them from sticking to each other. Set it aside for later.
PreparE the Skewers
Thread a cherry tomato, a basil leaf, a mozzarella cheese ball, a tortellini, then a cheese ball, a basil leaf, and a final cherry tomato on each skewer. Then fold large basil leaves in half.
Note: I used marinated mozzarella balls from a grocery store for this recipe. Marinated balls add more flavor and color to the tortellini appetizer skewer.
After all 24 skewers are made, place them on a serving tray. Then, drizzle the tortellini skewers with balsamic glaze.
Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
For a different twist on your Caprese skewers with tortellini, try these tips:
- Add sliced salami or pepperoni.
- Add black olives to the skewers.
- Use ravioli pasta instead.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can! I suggest that you make the skewers no more than 6 hours ahead. Or the basil can wilt and turn brown, and the pasta will dry out.
No, you don’t need to soak the skewers since there isn’t any cooking in this Caprese snack. The bamboo kabobs will fine dry. Just be sure to use sharp skewers so that they will go through the pasta easily.
You can try it with different types of cheese in this recipe. Just be sure to cut them into small cubes so that they will fit onto the skewers.
Ciliegine are small balls of mozzarella that are about the size of a cherry. While bocconcini are slightly larger balls that are about the size of a golf ball. I suggest using ciliegine, buffalo or pearl sized.
Get the Full Easy Appetizer Recipe Here
Tortellini Caprese Skewers
- 24 6" bamboo skewers - (or 12, 12" skewers cut in half)
- 4 – 6 quart saucepan or stock pot - (to cook the tortellini)
- colander - (to drain and rinse the pasta)
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 large bunch basil leaves (about 8 ounces)
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini, refrigerated, fresh, frozen
- 12 ounces mozzarella balls, plain or marinated* (Ciliegine, buffalo or pearl size)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar glaze (see notes for substitutions)
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Wash the mini tomatoes and basil leaves, and let dry.
- Add the cheese tortellini to the pot of water and reduce the heat to a gentle boil. Cook the pasta for the amount of time listed on the package (I recommend no more than 5 minutes for fresh, refrigerated pasta). Immediately drain and rinse the pasta in cold water. Set aside.
- Thread the bamboo skewers with a tomato, a basil leaf, a mozzarella ball, a tortellini, then a mozzarella ball, a basil leaf, and a tomato. Fold large basil leaves in half.
- After threading all 24 skewers, place them on a serving tray. Drizzle the balsamic vinegar glaze over the skewers. Serve right away or cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.