This Caprese flatbread is a tasty appetizer or easy dinner featuring fresh tomatoes, basil, pesto, and mozzarella, topped with a delicious balsamic glaze. Try this recipe, and you’ll keep flatbreads in your freezer, knowing you’re always ready to serve a tomato basil treat.
Looking for an easy appetizer to impress your guests? Or an easy weeknight dinner? Look no further than this flatbread recipe!
This recipe is simple to make and uses only a few ingredients. Fresh tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, and pesto are layered on top of a crispy flatbread crust. Then balsamic glaze is drizzled over the top.
This flatbread is the perfect meal or appetizer for any occasion!
Content Covered Here
What is a Caprese Flatbread?
Caprese salad is a traditional Italian dish made with fresh tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella cheese. Flatbread is a bread (like pizza) that is made without yeast.
This recipe mixes Caprese and flatbread to create a deliciously tasty appetizer dinner. The pesto, tomato, and mozzarella is layered on top of a soft unleavened flatbread crust and baked. Then it is drizzled with balsamic glaze before serving.
This flatbread pizza uses pesto sauce instead of tomato sauce for the base.
You can use a store-bought sauce, of course. But, we used a homemade pesto sauce for this recipe because it is super easy to make and tastes much better than store-bought.
Have this tasty starter (or dinner) ready in just 15 minutes. Whether you are hosting a party or just looking for a quick, easy weeknight meal, this recipe will not disappoint.
Love pesto and Caprese? Check out our other recipes with them! There are many to choose from – Tortellini Caprese Salad, Caprese Chicken, Tortellini Caprese Skewers, Pea Pesto Pasta, Pesto Gnocchi with Asparagus, or Pesto Pasta Salad.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Flatbread – We used a store-bought flatbread for this recipe. However, you can make your own homemade flatbread if you prefer or use a different type of bread like naan bread or pita bread.
- Olive oil – This is used for brushing the flatbread before cooking. You can also use melted butter if you prefer.
- Tomatoes – Fresh is best for Caprese Flatbread. We used grape tomatoes in this recipe but you can use any tomato you like, such as Roma or cherry tomatoes. Just make sure to strain the juices from them first.
- Basil pesto – We used our homemade basil pesto sauce for this recipe. However, you can also use a store-bought pesto sauce or use marinara sauce in place of the pesto.
- Mozzarella – We used drained and patted dry mozzarella balls for this Caprese Flatbread, but you can also use shredded mozzarella cheese or use a different type of cheese like provolone or grated Parmesan.
- Garnish – fresh basil, balsamic glaze, salt, and pepper.
Kitchen TOols Needed
How to Make a Tomato Basil Flatbread
Prepare the oven. Put a baking sheet on the top rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 450ºF.
Place the flatbreads on a preheated baking tray. Then bake at 450ºF on the top rack for 3-4 minutes, until golden and crisp.
Note: Preheating the baking sheet helps the flatbreads crisp on the bottom.
Making the Caprese Flatbread. Carefully spread each flatbread with up to 1/4 cup of pesto, leaving a one-inch border. Sprinkle the top of each with 1/2 of the halved grape tomatoes.
Cut mozzarella balls into halves (unless using the small pearl size) or tear the slices into bite-sized pieces. Then spread the cheese around the flatbread.
Bake the Caprese Flatbread. Bake this in an oven at 450ºF for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown. Once cooked, remove from the oven.
Garnish and Serve
Top with basil leaves. Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the top of each and cut them into quarters.
Caprese Flatbread is best served fresh and warm. Serve them with a side of your favorite dipping sauce. I like to serve them with simple garlic aioli or ranch dressing.
What goes well with Caprese Flatbread?
Serve this flatbread with these entrees or sides:
- Baked Chicken Tenderloins
- Nashville Chicken Tenders
- Zesty Italian Pasta Salad
- Chicken and Asparagus Bake
How to Store
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat leftovers, put them in an oven at 350ºF for about 5 minutes or until they are warm.
Just place the flatbreads in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to three months. When ready to enjoy, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and reheat it as directed above.
- Caprese chicken flatbread – add cooked chicken to the flatbread Caprese.
- Pizza flatbread – add your favorite pizza toppings.
- Swap out the pesto for another sauce like BBQ sauce or marinara sauce.
- Add some spice by adding red pepper flakes to the flatbread.
- Get creative with your garnish and add crumbled bacon, Kalamata olives, or roasted red peppers.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make the flatbread crispy by preheating the baking sheet in the oven, like in this recipe. This will help them to be crispy on the bottom.
If you don’t have a balsamic glaze, you can use a balsamic vinegar reduction. You could also use honey drizzled on top.
- large baking Sheet
- basting or pastry brush
- parchment paper - recommended
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- fresh basil
- salt and black pepper
- Place the baking sheet on the top rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 450ºF. As the oven is preheating, prepare the flatbreads.
- Brush each flatbread from edge to edge with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oven is preheated remove the baking sheet from the oven and line it with parchment paper, a silpat silicone sheet, or lightly grease the sheet.
- Carefully place the flatbreads on the preheated baking sheet. Bake at 450ºF on the top rack for 3-4 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Spread each flatbread with up to 1/4 cup of pesto to within 1 inch of the edge. Sprinkle the top of each with 1/2 of the halved grape tomatoes. Cut mozzarella balls in half (unless using the small pearl size) or tear the slices into bite-sized pieces. Spread the mozzarella cheese around the flatbread.
- Bake at 450ºF for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Remove flatbreads from the oven and place on a cutting board. Top with basil leaves and drizzle top with balsamic glaze. Cut each into quarters and serve.