As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
This Caprese flatbread is a tasty appetizer or easy dinner featuring fresh tomatoes, basil, pesto and mozzarella, topped with a delicious balsamic glaze. Try this recipe and you’ll keep flatbreads in your freezer knowing you’re always ready to serve a tomato basil treat.
Looking for an easy appetizer that will impress your guests? Or an easy weeknight dinner? Look no further than this flatbread recipe!
This recipe is simple to make and uses only a few ingredients. Fresh tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, and pesto are layered on top of a crispy flatbread crust. Then balsamic glaze is drizzled over the top.
Caprese flatbread is the perfect meal for any occasion!
What is a Caprese Flatbread?
Caprese salad is a traditional Italian dish that is made with fresh tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella cheese. While the flatbread is a type of bread that is made without yeast. And this recipe uses an unleavened flatbread crust, making it quick and easy to make.
This recipe is a mix of Caprese and flatbread to create a deliciously tasty appetizer. Caprese (pesto, tomato, and mozzarella) is layered on top of a soft flatbread crust and baked. Then it is drizzled with balsamic glaze before serving.
This Caprese flatbread pizza also uses pesto sauce in place of tomato sauce.
You can use a store-bought sauce, of course. But, we used our own homemade pesto sauce for this recipe because it is super easy to make and tastes so much better than store-bought.
This flatbread recipe is simple to make and can be on the table in just 15 minutes. Whether you are hosting a party or just looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal, this recipe will not disappoint.
Love pesto and Caprese? Check out our other recipes with them! There are so many to choose from – Tortellini Caprese Salad, Caprese Chicken, Tortellini Caprese Skewers, Pea Pesto Pasta, Pesto Gnocchi with Asparagus, or Pesto Pasta Salad.
What you’ll need for Tomato Mozzarella Flatbread
- Olive oil
- Basil pesto
- Mozzarella – drained and patted dry
- Grape tomatoes – halved, and if you swap it with cherry tomatoes, strain the juice from them first
- Garnish – fresh basil, balsamic glaze, salt, and pepper
Equipment used for making Caprese Flatbread
How to Make Caprese Flatbread
Prepare the oven. Put a baking sheet on the top rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 450ºF.
Place the flatbreads on a preheated baking tray. Then bake at 450ºF on the top rack for 3-4 minutes, until golden and crisp.
Note: Preheating the baking sheet helps the flatbreads crisp on the bottom.
Making the Caprese Flatbread. Carefully spread each flatbread with up to 1/4 cup of pesto, leaving a one-inch border. Sprinkle the top of each with 1/2 of the halved grape tomatoes.
Cut mozzarella balls into halves (unless using the small pearl size) or tear the slices into bite-sized pieces. Then spread the cheese around the flatbread.
Bake the Caprese Flatbread. Bake the tomato mozzarella flatbreads in an oven at 450ºF for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown. Once they’re cooked, remove them from the oven and top them with basil leaves. Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the top of each flatbread appetizer and then cut them into quarters.
How to Serve
Caprese Flatbread is best served fresh and warm. Serve them with a side of your favorite dipping sauce. I like to serve them with simple garlic aioli or ranch dressing.
What goes well with Caprese Flatbread?
Serve this flatbread with these entrees or sides:
- Baked Chicken Tenderloins
- Nashville Chicken Tenders
- Zesty Italian Pasta Salad
- Chicken and Asparagus Bake
How to Store
Tomato mozzarella flatbread leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat leftovers, put them in an oven at 350ºF for about 5 minutes or until they are warm.
How to Freeze
Just place the tomato basil flatbreads in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to three months. When you are ready to enjoy it, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat as directed above.
- Margherita flatbread – use marinara sauce in place of the pesto.
- Caprese chicken flatbread – add cooked chicken to the flatbread Caprese.
- Pizza flatbread – add your favorite pizza toppings.
- Swap out the pesto for another sauce like BBQ sauce or marinara sauce.
- Add some spice by adding red pepper flakes to the flatbread.
- Use a different type of cheese like provolone or grated Parmesan.
- Use a different type of flatbread like naan bread or pita bread.
- Get creative with your garnish and try adding things like crumbled bacon, Kalamata olives, or roasted red peppers.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make the flatbread crispy by preheating the baking sheet in the oven, like in this recipe. This will help them to be crispy on the bottom.
If you don’t have a balsamic glaze, you can use a balsamic vinegar reduction. You could also use honey or maple syrup drizzled on top.
Mozzarella cheese is a good source of protein and calcium.
- large baking Sheet
- basting or pastry brush
- Parchment Paper or a silicone baking sheet recommended
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the baking sheet on the top rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 450ºF. As the oven is preheating, prepare the flatbreads.
- Brush each flatbread from edge to edge with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oven is preheated remove the baking sheet from the oven and line it with parchment paper, a silpat silicone sheet, or lightly grease the sheet.
- Carefully place the flatbreads on the preheated baking sheet. Bake at 450ºF on the top rack for 3-4 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Spread each flatbread with up to 1/4 cup of pesto to within 1 inch of the edge. Sprinkle the top of each with 1/2 of the halved grape tomatoes. Cut mozzarella balls in half (unless using the small pearl size) or tear the slices into bite-sized pieces. Spread the mozzarella cheese around the flatbread.
- Bake at 450ºF for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Remove flatbreads from the oven and place on a cutting board. Top with basil leaves and drizzle top with balsamic glaze. Cut each into quarters and serve.