This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Frozen tater tots are more than just an easy side dish. Make crisp little cups or nests with them to fill with egg, cheese, and bacon. Everyone (especially kids) loves these delicious, crispy tater tots egg cups. This tasty recipe is perfect for any breakfast or brunch. You will proudly serve them on your holiday table for Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas brunch.
How to Easily Make Tater Tot Cups
First, preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Then place 8 frozen tater tots in each opening of the muffin pan.
Pro Tip: For best results, use a jumbo-sized muffin pan. If you have to use a regular sized pan, use fewer (4-6 tater tots per opening) so that they can hold the egg without overfilling.
Bake tater tots for 10 minutes.
Spray bottom of a juice glass or small jelly jar around 3″ in diameter with cooking oil. Twist the glass around inside each muffin opening, creating a “nest” and the sides of the tater tots reach the top of each opening.
Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes, until they are golden in color.
Crack each egg and carefully drop the egg into each cup. As you can see, a large egg fits perfectly inside the tater tot nests.
Return muffin pan to the oven, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
I cooked these 20 minutes, and the yolks were completely set. I recommend 15 minutes in the recipe, less if you like runny yolks and longer if you like your egg yolks fully cooked like I do.
Once the Egg Nests are baked, garnish before serving.
This is an easy recipe that is so delicious! It’s perfect for breakfast or brunch.
Here is the Tater Tot Egg Nest Cups recipe
Tater Tot Egg Nests
- 32 oz. bag of frozen Tater Tots
- 6 large eggs
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese grated
- 2 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled OR ¼ c. bacon bits
- Optional: chives green onions, or sour cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. For best results, use a jumbo-sized muffin tin. Spray muffin tin with cooking oil. Place 8 tater tots into each muffin cup. Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Spray bottom of a juice glass or small jelly jar around 3" in diameter with cooking oil. Twist the glass around in each muffin creating a "nest" and the sides of the tater tots reach the top of each opening. Return to oven for 15 minutes, until they are golden in color.
- After removing from oven, carefully crack an egg into each of the tater tot nests. Bake for 15 minutes (10 for runny yolks, and up to 20 for hard cooked yolks). Add cheese and bacon bits on top and return to oven for 2-3 minutes until cheese has melted. Wait a few moments to cool and remove nests with tongs. Garnish with chives, green onions, or sour cream and serve.