Frozen tater tots are more than just an easy side dish! Make crisp little cups or nests and fill them with egg, cheese, and bacon. Everyone (especially kids) loves these delicious, crispy tater tots egg cups. This tasty tater tot recipe is perfect for breakfast or brunch. You will proudly serve them on your holiday table for Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas brunch, or anytime you want to make an impression!
Content Covered Here
How to Easily Make Tater Tot Cups
First, preheat your oven to 450º F. Then, place 8 frozen tater tots in each muffin pan opening.
Pro Tip: Use a jumbo-sized or regular-sized muffin pan for best results. Use fewer tater tots (4-6 taters) regular size pan to hold the egg without overfilling the cup.
Bake tater tots at 450ºF for 10 minutes.
Spray the bottom of a juice glass or small jelly jar around 3″ in diameter with cooking oil. Twist the glass around inside each muffin opening, creating a “nest,” and the sides of the tater tots reach the top of each opening.
Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, until they are golden in color.
Crack each egg and carefully drop the egg into each cup. As you can see above, a large egg fits perfectly inside the tater tot nests.
Return the muffin pan to the oven, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
The eggs in the images were cooked for 20 minutes, and the yolks were completely set.
If you like like runny yolks, I recommend 15 minutes of baking, and 20 minutes if you like your egg yolks fully cooked as I do.
Garnish with chives, green onions, or sour cream before serving the tater tot egg cups.
This is an easy recipe that’s delicious and perfect for breakfast or brunch.
What goes with tater tots?
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Tater tots are grated potatoes formed into small cylinders and deep-fried, often served as a side dish. The name “tater tot” is a registered trademark of the American frozen food company Ore-Ida, but is often used as a generic term. “Tater” is short for potato.
Tater Tot Egg Nests
- 1 bag (32 ounces) Tater Tots frozen
- 6 large eggs
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled OR ¼ c. bacon bits
- green onion, sliced, green part only
- sour cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- For best results, use a jumbo-sized muffin tin. Spray muffin tin with cooking oil. Place 8 tater tots into each muffin cup. Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Spray bottom of a juice glass or small jelly jar around 3" in diameter with cooking oil. Twist the glass around in each muffin creating a "nest" and the sides of the tater tots nests reach the top of each opening.
- Return to oven for 15 minutes, until they are golden in color.
- After removing from oven, carefully crack an egg into each of the tater tot nests. Bake for 15 minutes (10 for runny yolks, and up to 20 for hard cooked yolks).
- Add cheese and bacon bits on top and return to oven for 2-3 minutes until cheese has melted.
- Wait a few moments to cool and remove nests with tongs. Garnish with chives, green onions, or sour cream and serve.