If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
Frozen tater tots are more than just an easy side dish. Make crisp little cups or nests with them to fill with egg, cheese, and bacon. Everyone (especially kids) loves these delicious, crispy tater tots egg cups. This tasty recipe is perfect for any breakfast or brunch. You will proudly serve them on your holiday table for Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas brunch.
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS POST
How to Easily Make Tater Tot Cups
First, preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Then place 8 frozen tater tots in each opening of the muffin pan.
Pro Tip: For best results, use a jumbo-sized or regular size muffin pan. For the regular size pan, use fewer (4-6 tater tots per opening) so that they can hold the egg without overfilling.
Bake tater tots for 10 minutes.
Spray the bottom of a juice glass or small jelly jar around 3″ in diameter with cooking oil. Twist the glass around inside each muffin opening, creating a “nest” and the sides of the tater tots reach the top of each opening.
Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes, until they are golden in color.
Crack each egg and carefully drop the egg into each cup. As you can see above, a large egg fits perfectly inside the tater tot nests.
Return the muffin pan to the oven, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
I cooked these 20 minutes, and the yolks were completely set. I recommend 15 minutes in the recipe, less if you like runny yolks and longer if you like your egg yolks fully cooked as I do.
Once the Egg Nests are baked, garnish before serving.
This is an easy recipe that is so delicious! It’s perfect for breakfast or brunch.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Tater tots are grated potatoes formed into small cylinders and deep-fried, often served as a side dish. The name “tater tot” is a registered trademark of the American frozen food company Ore-Ida, but is often used as a generic term. “Tater” is short for potato.
Tots add a nice crunch to any sandwich, especially a melty grilled cheese. Change up the meat and cheese depending on what you and your kid’s like. Grilled ham and Swiss sandwiches, and turkey cheddar melts, are both even better with tots.
How do I fry tots?
Deep Fryer• Preheat cooking oil in electric deep fryer to 375degF. Fill deep fryer not more than half full of oil. • Fill fryer basket not more than half full of frozen Extra Crispy Tater Tots. Carefully lower basket into hot oil. • Fry 3–4 minutes. …
Cook thoroughly. Keep frozen.
Love Tater Tots? Get More easy Tater Tot Recipes
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Loaded Tater Tots Appetizer Recipe
- Easy Tater Tot Casserole with Green Beans
- Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
Tater Tot Egg Nest Cups recipe
Tater Tot Egg Nests
- 1 bag (32 oz.) Tater Tots frozen
- 6 large eggs
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled OR ¼ c. bacon bits
- green onion, sliced, green part only
- sour cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- For best results, use a jumbo-sized muffin tin. Spray muffin tin with cooking oil. Place 8 tater tots into each muffin cup. Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Spray bottom of a juice glass or small jelly jar around 3" in diameter with cooking oil. Twist the glass around in each muffin creating a "nest" and the sides of the tater tots nests reach the top of each opening.
- Return to oven for 15 minutes, until they are golden in color.
- After removing from oven, carefully crack an egg into each of the tater tot nests. Bake for 15 minutes (10 for runny yolks, and up to 20 for hard cooked yolks).
- Add cheese and bacon bits on top and return to oven for 2-3 minutes until cheese has melted.
- Wait a few moments to cool and remove nests with tongs. Garnish with chives, green onions, or sour cream and serve.