If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
Pot roast is classic comfort food that the whole family loves. And it’s terrific to make in a slow cooker! Tender, mouthwatering roast beef is seasoned with dry ranch dressing mix, and nestled in the crock with potatoes, onions, and carrots. There is no searing or stovetop cooking needed to make this easy crockpot chuck roast recipe – add the ingredients to the slow cooker, set it and forget it! Enjoy the best crock pot roast with ranch dressing seasoning for a hearty and delicious meal any night of the week.
The Best Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
We’ve shared many amazing “dump and go” or set it and forget it Crock Pot recipes on the blog before.
These easy slow cooker meals don’t require any pre-cooking before being added to the crock. For example, our Slow Cooker Fall Apart Chuck Roast is one of the most popular beef chuck recipes… And for good reason. It includes only a handful of wholesome ingredients and requires just 5 minutes to prep.
We wanted to offer another main dish featuring an economical and easily-found beef chuck roast. This Crock Pot Chuck Roast recipe is as foolproof as other set and forget-type recipes, but it includes meat and veggies for a complete one-pot meal.
It features fork-tender beef chuck roast, carrots, potatoes, and onions – just like grandma used to make. But this version includes tangy ranch dressing seasoning for an extra kick of delicious flavor!
Start to finish this chuck roast crock pot recipe is ready in 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. And that includes just 5 quick minutes of prep time.
It’s perfect to start on a lazy afternoon or get going before you head out the door in the morning. By dinnertime, your home smells amazing, and the beef chuck roast will be ready to enjoy!
What Ingredients You Need to Make Crock Pot Roast with Ranch Dressing
Slow cooker roast beef with veggies has a great depth of savory, salty, earthy, and meaty flavors. But there are actually only 6 ingredients!
- Beef chuck roast
- Low sodium beef broth
- Dry ranch seasoning mix
- Red or russet potato
TFN Tip: Make your pot roast extra flavorful by using Better Than Bouillon beef paste instead of packaged beef broth. Double the strength by using 2 teaspoons for every 1 cup of water. Alternatively, you can use beef bouillon cubes.
How to Make this Beef Chuck Roast Crock Pot Recipe
Are you ready for how effortless this slow cooker roast beef recipe is?
Follow these 4 steps to prepare a fabulous no-fail one-pot dinner:
- First, slice the onions and season the beef chuck with the ranch seasoning. If you have the time, I recommend adding the seasoning one hour before you put the beef in the crockpot.
- Then, place the beef roast with ranch dressing in the slow cooker. Make the beef broth if using bouillon. Pour the broth in around the chuck and add the onion slices on top. Cover and roast in the crock pot for High on 3-4 hours, or on Low for 6-8 hours.
- Scrub and chop the potatoes and carrots. When the roast has 2 hours left to cook, add the chopped veggies and cover again.
- Once done, transfer the crock pot chuck roast and the cooked vegetables to a large platter. Loosely cover with foil and rest for 10-15 minutes.
Then slice, serve, and enjoy this beef chuck roast!
Get the Full Crock Pot Chuck Roast Recipe Below!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, here’s how you can make your own homemade ranch dressing mix: 2 Tablespoons buttermilk powder (optional), 1 Tablespoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1 teaspoon dried chives, 2 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon dried dill.
In place of chuck roast, you can use round roast or rump roast. However, these cuts can be slightly less predictable. Choose a well-marbled piece of meat, and be prepared to chop the cooked beef if it doesn’t easily shred.
The beauty of this dish is that it has your meat, starch, and veg all in a single one-pot recipe. But a yummy biscuit or roll is always great to serve with a hearty comfort food meal! Pair a warm plate of pot roast with Bisquick Drop Biscuits, Easy 3 Ingredient Biscuits, or Old Fashioned Yeast Rolls.
Store the beef and vegetables in a sealed container, and keep them in the fridge for up to 4 days. To freeze, transfer to an airtight zipper bag or other freezer-safe containers, and store for up to 3 months.
SLOW COOKER POT ROAST RECIPE
Crock Pot Chuck Roast with Potatoes and Carrots
- Slow Cooker/Crock Pot
- 3-4 lb beef chuck roast (see notes for other cuts of roasts)
- 1½ cups beef broth, low sodium
- 1 packet dry ranch seasoning mix (see notes for homemade ranch seasoning mix)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 6 potatoes (russett or red), scrubbed and quartered
- 2 carrots, cut into 2" pieces
- If time permits, season roast with dry ranch seasoning mix and rest for one hour before placing into slow cooker.
- Place beef chuck roast into the pot of your slow cooker, add beef broth and seasoning. Cover with sliced onions. Cook roast in slow cooker for 3-4 hours on High setting or 6-8 hours on Low.
- Add potatoes and carrots the last 2 hours of cooking.
- After cooking, remove roast from slow cooker and to a platter. Cover with foil and let rest 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Here are More Crock-pot Recipes to Try:
- Crock Pot Ham with Cola Glaze
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Ribs
- Crock Pot Smothered Chicken
- Crockpot Ranch Pork Chops