Melt-in-your-mouth Crock Pot Cube Steak is the perfect comfort food. With our simple cube steak recipe, you can make a delicious country-style steak for dinner tonight!
Cube steaks are a delicious and easy way to make a hearty meal, and using a slow cooker makes everything so much easier!
You can set it and forget it with this easy cube steak recipe!
Tender and Delicious Crock Pot Cube Steak
We love to get this dish ready before heading off for church on Sunday mornings and coming home to a house filled with the aroma of a delicious meal.
Cube steak is an ideal cut of meat for crock pot cooking due to its tender texture and ability to retain flavor while keeping it moist and tender.
I just love how easy it is and how it produces such delicious and tender steaks every time.
And what makes this meal even better is the creamy mushroom gravy and is served with creamy mashed potatoes.
A crock pot cube steak tastes just as good, if not better, than steaks that have been fried in a skillet.
Love beef recipes?
Try our Blackstone Griddle Steak and Short Rib Rigatoni.
Cube Steak Recipe FAQ
Cube steak is a type of beef that comes from the shoulder, round, or chuck.
This cut of beef is tenderized by pounding it with a meat tenderizer, which makes small dents in the steak. This helps to break down the tough fibers, making them more tender and easier to chew.
The name cube steak (also known as cubed steak) comes from the fact that the dents look like small cubes.
Cube steak does become more tender the longer it cooks. The crock pot helps to break down the connective tissues in the meat, making it tender and juicy, but it is possible to overcook any cut of meat.
No, rinsing isn’t necessary. The process of cubing tenderizes the meat.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Montreal steak seasoning– You can substitute Montreal seasoning with an all-purpose seasoning, dry onion soup mix, or a combination of your favorite herbs and spices. Good choices are garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, and black pepper.
- Cooking oil – Choose a mild flavored oil such as avocado, canola, vegetable, or even sunflower.
- White mushrooms – Sliced button mushrooms are the common choice for this cube steak recipe, but Cremini mushrooms work well, too.
- Beef broth – Feel free to use concentrated beef base mixed with water (according to the package directions). In a pinch, you can substitute chicken or vegetable broth for beef broth.
- Worcestershire sauce – This condiment adds a classic flavor to all cube steak recipes. The Food Network website has a post with several substitutes for Worcestershire sauce.
- Heavy cream – You can substitute half-and-half for heavy cream, but the cube steak gravy won’t be quite as rich and creamy.
Kitchen Tools Needed
- Crock Pot or slow cooker
- Large skillet
- dipping tray or plate – for dipping and coating cube steaks
Shop This Post
How to Cook Cube Steak in a Crock Pot
- Prepare the slow cooker.
Spray the insides and bottom with cooking spray, or use a slow cooker liner. Place the cube steaks in the bottom, then sprinkle Montreal steak seasoning over the meat.
- Make the mushroom gravy. Heat oil in a large skillet. Then sauté onions and mushrooms, until dry and beginning to brown.
Stir in flour and Montreal steak seasoning, and cook. Add and stir broth and Worcestershire sauce to deglaze the skillet, and bring to a simmer.
- Slow cook the cubed steak.
Pour the mushroom gravy over the steaks and slow cook for 6 to 7 hours on Low, or 3 to 4 hours on High.
- Ready to serve.
Remove then place the steaks on a plate or serving dish. Pour the heavy cream into the slow cooker.
TFN Pro Tip
The cube steak gravy will be thin at first; keep stirring until it thickens.
Cube Steak Recipe Variations
- Sandwiches: serve the cube steak on buns with melted cheese, lettuce, tomato, and pickles.
- Cube steak and potatoes: add cubed potatoes to the slow cooker for the last hour of cooking.
- Add a can of cream of mushroom soup for extra flavor.
- Add other vegetables to the crock pot in the last hour, such as carrots and celery.
- Make them spicy by adding a few dashes of hot sauce or your favorite spices.
This meal is fantastic over mashed potatoes or rice. Some people prefer it with buttered egg noodles. It’s also delicious with a side of Crock Pot mac n cheese!
We like to put out a basket with homemade biscuits or cornbread. For a healthy veggie, we suggest Instant Pot green beans or Tuscan bean salad.
Storing and Reheating Cube Steak
Fridge: Store cubed steaks in an airtight container or wrap them tightly with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
For the gravy, store it in a separate airtight container or jar and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Slow cooker cube steak can be frozen for up to 3 months. Wrap each steak individually in plastic wrap and place it in a freezer bag or airtight container.
Reheating: To reheat country style steak, place it in a covered dish and bake at 350°F until heated through.
For the gravy, heat in a saucepan over low heat until warm. You can also reheat both of them in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.
Crock Pot Cube Steak
- large skillet
- dipping trays or plate - for dipping and coating cube steaks
- 4 cube steaks
- 2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning, divided (or all-purpose seasoning)
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 pound white mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Prepare the crock pot by spraying the liner with cooking spray or line it with a slow cooker liner. Place the cube steaks in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of Montreal steak seasoning.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms, and saute for 5 minutes, until the onions and mushrooms are dry and beginning to brown.
- Stir in flour and 1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning, and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Add broth and Worcestershire sauce to deglaze the skillet, stirring to smooth any lumps, and bring to a simmer.
- Pour the onion and mushroom skillet sauce over the cube steaks. Add lid and slow cook the cube steaks for 6 to 7 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high.
- When done, use tongs to remove the steaks to a plate or serving dish. Stir in the heavy cream, until thickened. Spoon mushroom cream sauce over the steaks before serving.
Leave a Reply