If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
You can have the best homemade burger buns in just 30 minutes. Seriously. This quick and easy, small batch hamburger bun recipe makes perfectly soft burger buns that are way better than store bought. They’re exactly what you want to hold burgers or cheeseburgers, sloppy joes, shredded beef or pulled pork sandwiches, and more.
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS POST
- Quick and Easy Small Batch Hamburger Buns
- What Makes this the Best Hamburger Bun Recipe
- Quick Hamburger Buns Ingredients
- How to Make Homemade Hamburger Buns
- Tips for making Perfectly Soft burger buns
- Ways to enjoy Homemade hamburger buns
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The Best Quick Burger Bun Recipe
- More Easy Baking recipes you will love
Quick and Easy Small Batch Hamburger Buns
I discovered this soft hamburger bun recipe a few years ago (from A Taste of Home) and shared it in a weekly dinner menu. Since then I’ve made a few modifications to the original recipe to make it even better!
They are perfect for enjoying homemade burgers however you like, from classic beef patties and cheeseburgers to healthy grilled turkey burgers and even veggie burgers.
What Makes this the Best Hamburger Bun Recipe
There are a number of reasons that these quick 30 minute burger buns are simply amazing, and are sure to be your favorite go-to hamburger roll recipe:
- The dough is very soft and elastic, which makes it ideal for kneading in a mixer with a dough hook.
- Your house will smell of freshly baking bread.
- Homemade burger buns can be enjoyed fresh, or frozen and saved for later.
Follow my simple steps below to make the best, softest small batch hamburger buns recipe in under an hour.
Quick Hamburger Buns Ingredients
Optional: sesame seeds
Although this recipe calls for bread flour (I recommend King Arthur bread flour), but you can easily substitute all-purpose flour. I find that bread flour yields a smoother bun that looks exactly like store bought buns.
But don’t skip the sugar! Since these buns have very little rise time, the sugar in the recipe helps provide a boost to the yeast.
How to Make Homemade Hamburger Buns
This soft hamburger bun recipe comes together easily and the dough has a quick rise time. It bread dough should be soft and sticky, but not runny.
Make quick hamburger buns in minutes:
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Then stir in beaten egg, salt, and 3 cups of flour and make a soft dough. If the dough is too runny, add the rest of the flour, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead (by hand or using a dough hook in a stand mixer) until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes.
- Then shape the buns, as directed below.
Shape and Bake the Homemade hamburger buns
- Divide and the dough into 8 pieces, roll each piece into a ball.
- To smooth the top, pinch the bottom of the dough repeatedly until the top of the ball is smooth.
- Gently flatten the roll in your hand.
- Place rolls 3 inches apart on a greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet or hamburger roll pan.
Tips for making Perfectly Soft burger buns
- Be sure to combine the yeast with warm water – not cold or too hot.
- Let the shaped bun dough rest for the full suggested 20 minutes to fully proof and get the best rise.
- When the rolls come out of the oven, immediately brush them with some melted butter and sprinkle on sesame seeds for delicious flavor.
Ways to enjoy Homemade hamburger buns
These quick and easy homemade burger buns are perfect for serving traditional beef burgers or cheeseburgers, or your favorite veggie or turkey burgers.
Or use them to jazz up classic sandwiches by swapping slices of bread with soft hamburger rolls.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes you can. Watch the video in this homemade bread post to see how to properly knead dough. This dough is soft and pliable, so flour your countertop and hands well before kneading.
The signs that dough has been kneaded long enough. The dough should feel smooth, like the inside of your cheek. It should be tacky but not sticky. And, you should be able to stretch the dough several inches without it tearing.
Yes, you can. Skip adding the yeast to the warm water, and add it to the flour. Go ahead and mix the dough together as in step 2 of the recipe.
Store hamburger rolls in a sealed bag at room temperature for up to 4 or 5 days. These buns are great for freezing! Transfer cooled burger buns to an airtight bag, and keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
The Best Quick Burger Bun Recipe
Quick and Easy Hamburger Buns
- Baking Sheet
- 2 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water 95° to 105°
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups flour (use bread flour or all-purpose flour)
- Preheat oven to 425. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add beaten egg, salt and 3 cups of flour and make a soft dough. If dough is too runny, add the rest of flour, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead (by hand or using a dough hook in a stand mixer) until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Immediately divide into 8 pieces and shape each into a ball. Place 3 in. apart on baking sheet (non-stick, greased, or cover with parchment paper).
- Cover and let rest for 20 minutes*. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Cut in half to serve.