This creamy Instant Pot Lasagna Soup is an easy, one-pot recipe that’s hearty, comforting, and perfect for dinner on a cold night!
Your whole family will love this easy soup recipe that tastes like you spent all day cooking it. It has all the goodness of traditional lasagna in soup form which is perfect for cozy dinners at home.
Thanks to the pressure cooking, it is ready in minutes. Plus, this pressure cooker soup recipe is lower in calories, carbs, and fat. Make this perfect weeknight lasagna soup for dinner tonight.
Content Covered Here
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
Lasagna soup is one of our all-time favorite comfort foods. This creamy, dreamy Instant Pot lasagna soup is hearty, filling, and so easy to make. It is the perfect family dinner for busy weeknights.
This flavorful soup is full of all the classic lasagna flavors but without all the work. It is a one pot meal that is perfect for busy weeknights or any night you want a quick and easy dinner.
Serve it with some crusty bread for dipping and you have a complete meal. Plus, it is great for leftovers and can be frozen for those nights when you need a quick dinner.
One of the things I like best about the Instant Pot is it’s just one pot. It turns almost any meal into a one-pot meal. And, that means clean up is effortless and minimal.
It’s one of my most used kitchen appliances, especially in the summer. I just love cooking in my Instant Pot.
Even after years, I’m still amazed at how well it performs.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Italian sausage – Either hot or mild. If you prefer ground beef, that’ll work too.
- a carton of chicken broth
- Lasagna noodles – For the best results, don’t use gluten-free pasta
- Whole bay leaves – Sometimes these can be hard to find, but they should be in the spice aisle of the grocery store. Feel free to leave them out if you can’t find them.
- Ricotta cheese – Cottage cheese is a budget-friendly substitute for ricotta.
Cooking Pasta in the Instant Pot
Thanks to a short cooking cycle, the pasta is cooked right in with the soup. And, it doesn’t come out soggy.
You can easily make substitutions or additions to this Instant Pot recipe.
For example, sneak in some hidden veggies like chopped zucchini or squash. Picky eaters and your kids will never even notice. And, don’t be afraid of using chicken or turkey sausage.
How to Make Lasagna Soup in Instant Pot
Brown the meat. Start with your Instant Pot in the sauté mode. Brown the ground beef or sausage, onions, and bell pepper. This takes about 5 minutes.
Add the ingredients. Add the garlic and stir, sautéing until fragrant.
Then, everything but the cheese goes into the Instant Pot. Add the tomatoes and sauce, broth, water, seasonings, and pasta.
🎯 TFN Pro Tip
To speed things up, preheat your water and the broth in a microwave oven until they are hot. I do this while the sausage and onions mixture is browning. It allows the Instant Pot to come to pressure faster.
Pressure cook the lasagna soup. Secure the lid, twist the pressure release valve, and set it at high pressure for 4 minutes.
Let the lasagna soup naturally release for at least 10 minutes before doing a quick release. After it’s safe to open, lift the lid away from you to avoid the steam.
Ready to serve. Drop in the ricotta cheese and stir to let it melt. Top with parmesan cheese, then serve.
- To make this a vegetarian or vegan lasagna soup recipe, use Impossible ground beef or Beyond crumbles in place of the sausage. You can also omit the meat altogether.
- Add some chopped zucchini or squash to the mix. It’s a great way to sneak in some extra nutrition.
- Use ground chicken or ground turkey sausage instead of beef or pork sausage
- Add a can of corn, drained
- Use fire roasted tomatoes for extra flavor
- Stir in a cup of spinach or kale when you add the ricotta cheese
- Top with crispy bacon bits or fried sage leaves
- Add some spice with a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Of course, you can eat this one pot lasagna soup as is. But, it’s even better with some crusty bread or garlic bread on the side. It’s delicious for dunking crusty bread into. We recommend French bread or Sourdough bread.
Storing and Reheating Leftover Soup
Leftover lasagna soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Reheat on the stovetop over medium heat until warmed through. You may need to add a splash of water or broth to thin it out if it’s too thick.
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage or lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups water (using hot water helps the Instant Pot come to pressure faster)
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles broken into chunks (for best results, don't use gluten-free pasta)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 ½ tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces ricotta cheese
- Using the “sauté” mode on the Instant Pot, add sausage and onion. Cook, stirring frequently until sausage is cooked through and onion is soft. About 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and sauté, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- The add tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, water, seasonings, and broken noodles. Gently stir together. Do not fill the instant pot past the “max” line.
- Secure the lid of the Instant pot and seal the pressure valve.
- Press the “manual” button with “high pressure” and set time for 4 minutes.
- Once pressure cycle is done, let it sit for ten minutes with a natural pressure release. After ten minutes, twist the steam valve to “vent” and allow it to quickly release pressure.
- Carefully open instant pot. Drop in the ricotta cheese into the soup and let it melt in as you stir.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.