These Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups aka buffalo chicken bombs, are the perfect mix of crispy, spicy, and cheesy, making them the ideal bite-sized snack or appetizer!
Looking for an easy and delicious bite-sized appetizer? Look no further than Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups!
Content Covered Here
Why We Love Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups are perfect handheld appetizers for game day, Super Bowl, or any party!
These easy appetizers are packed full of flavor. The buffalo chicken and cream cheese add a creamy richness that takes these crispy wontons to the next level. They are the perfect bite-sized snack for kids and adults alike.
This is one of our favorite appetizers to make because they are so easy, and we love how versatile they are.
These little cups are filled with spicy buffalo chicken and topped with cheese and green onions. But, you can make them as spicy or mild as you like.
You can use rotisserie chicken to save time or you could easily cook up some chicken breasts (they’re ideal to use for meal prep).
The best part about these wonton appetizers is that they can be made ahead of time. Simply assemble the cups and store them in the fridge until you’re ready to bake them. Then, pop them in the oven and you’re good to go!
Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Wontons
- Wonton wrappers – you can find wonton wrappers in the grocery store produce section. You can also order them from Walmart’s online grocery pickup.
- Chicken – we used shredded chicken for this recipe. You can also use ground chicken or diced chicken.
- Green onions (scallions) – green parts only, this is used for topping the wonton cups.
- Cream cheese – this adds a creamy texture to the filling and helps to bind it all together. You can use full fat or reduced fat cream cheese.
- Blue cheese crumbles – this adds a delicious tangy flavor. You can omit this and use more cheddar cheese instead.
- Dry ranch seasoning – this adds a great flavor to the buffalo chicken filling. See the notes below for the DIY recipe. You could also use Italian seasoning or taco seasoning if you prefer.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Cups
RECIPE NOTES: We recommend using a shot glass or a similarly sized glass. This will help your wrappers align with the sides of the muffin cup wells. The wrappers will shrink slightly during baking, but this will ensure there is a wide area for the popper filling in wonton cups.
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Prepare the Muffin Pan. Spray the muffin tin with cooking spray. This will help the muffins not stick to the pan. Also, spray the bottom 1/2 of a small glass with cooking oil to prevent it from sticking to the wonton cups.
Shaping the Cups. Lightly spritz the wonton wrapper with olive oil spray. Place the sprayed side evenly over the muffin cup and press inside.
Use the shot glass or glass cup to form the wonton wrapper to the muffin well sides. Do this with all of the wonton wrappers.
Bake the Cups. Bake the wontons for 10 minutes, until the cups are golden brown and crispy. Remove them from the oven to fill with the filling. Leave the oven on because you will be baking them once they are filled.
Making the Buffalo Chicken Filling
Mix the Ingredients. While the wontons are baking, prepare your buffalo chicken filling. Reserve 2 tablespoons of green onions (scallions) and 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese for later.
Mix together shredded chicken, sliced green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, cream cheese, blue cheese, buffalo sauce, and dry ranch dressing in a medium bowl.
Fill the Cups. Use a small spoon to put about 1 rounded tablespoon of the buffalo chicken mixture into the baked wonton cups. Sprinkle the reserved cheddar cheese on top of the filling.
Bake the Buffalo Chicken Cups. Bake the wontons at 350ºF for 8-10 minutes, until the edges of the wonton are golden brown and the cheese topping has melted. Top with reserved green onion before serving.
Make Buffalo Chicken Wontons in Air Fryer
To air fry these wontons, use glass custard cups for the wonton wrappers instead of a muffin pan. Bake at 325ºF, following the instructions above.
Recipe Variations For This Wonton Wrapper Appetizer
Buffalo chicken bombs are so versatile that you can easily customize them on your own. Here are a few ideas:
- Use Trader Joe’s buffalo chicken dip instead of the buffalo chicken filling.
- Add a diced jalapeno to the buffalo chicken filling for an extra kick.
How to Serve Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
Serve them with ranch or blue cheese dressing and celery sticks on the side. For an extra crunch, top with chopped bacon or crumbled-up potato chips.
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Our favorite way to reheat them is in the air fryer at 325ºF for 10 minutes. They will taste just as fresh as when you made them.
You can also reheat them in the oven at 350ºF until warmed through, about 15 minutes.
We don’t recommend reheating them in the microwave because they’ll become soggy.
Can I freeze this?
Yes! These buffalo chicken bombs freeze well for up to three months. Store them in a freezer-safe container or bag.
When you’re ready to eat, thaw them overnight in the fridge and reheat them as directed above.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can make them ahead of time. Just assemble the cups and store them in the fridge until you’re ready to bake them.
You can also freeze them before baking. Just be sure to thaw them overnight in the fridge before baking.
If you don’t have any buffalo sauce on hand, you can use hot sauce mixed with mayonnaise or BBQ sauce.
But for great substitution, we recommend using Trader Joe’s buffalo chicken dip. It has all the flavor of buffalo chicken sauce.
Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
- muffin or cupcake pan
- shot glass or a 2" glass cup
- medium mixing bowl
- 12 wonton wrappers (find them in the grocery store produce section)
- olive oil spray
Buffalo Chicken ingredients
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- 3 green onions (scallions), sliced, green parts only
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup buffalo sauce (like Trader Joe's Buffalo Sauce)
- 3 ounces (3/8 cup) cream cheese (softened)
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1½ tablespoons dry ranch seasoning (see notes to make your own)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray muffin pan with cooking oil. Spray the bottom 1/2 of the shot glass (or small glass) with cooking spray.
- Lightly spritz the wonton wrapper with olive oil spray. Place the sprayed side evenly over the muffin cup and press inside. Use the shot glass to form the wonton wrapper to the muffin well sides. Do this with the rest of the wonton wrappers.
- Bake the wontons for 10 minutes, until golden and crispy, with little bubbles. Remove baked wonton cups from the oven to fill with filling. Leave the oven on because you will be baking the wontons once they are filled.
Buffalo Chicken filling
- While the wontons are baking, prepare your filling. Reserve 2 tablespoons of green onions (scallions) and 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese and set aside. Mix together shredded chicken, sliced green onions, shredded cheddar, cream cheese, blue cheese, buffalo sauce, and dry ranch dressing, in a medium bowl.
- Use a small spoon to drop about 1 rounded tablespoon of the buffalo chicken mixture into the baked wonton cups. Sprinkle the reserved cheddar cheese on top of the filling.
- Bake at 350ºF for 8-10 minutes, until the edges of the wonton are golden brown and the cheese topping has melted. Top with reserved green onion before serving.
Air Fryer instructions
- To make these in an air fryer, use glass custard cups for the wonton wrappers, instead of a muffin pan. Bake at 325ºF, following the instructions above.