These Taco Wonton Cups are the perfect bite-sized snack appetizer. The wonton cups are perfectly crispy and the taco filling is so tasty, that you won’t be able to stop at just one!
Looking for a fun and easy way to enjoy taco night? These taco wonton cups are the perfect solution! They are simple to make and taste delicious. Plus, they are perfect for parties or gatherings. Everyone will love these tasty little wontons.
Taco in a Wonton Cup
Put the delicious flavor of tacos in these bite-sized appetizers! Taco wonton cups are filled with meaty goodness and cheesy deliciousness, combining the flavors of tacos and crispy wontons for the ultimate party appetizer.
These wonton taco cups are easy to make and can be prepared in advance. Prepare the wontons ahead of time, without the filling. When you are ready, cook the taco meat, fill with shredded cheese, and bake.
For a finishing touch, garnish with diced tomatoes, sour cream, or your favorite taco toppings.
These wonton appetizers are perfect for any occasion, even for dinner. Be prepared though – kids love these taco wonton cups. My granddaughter eats 5 of them on the regular and she’s only 3!
This wonton recipe can be easily doubled or tripled to feed a crowd. Just be sure to have plenty of wonton wrappers on hand.
For an appetizer, serve them at your next party or game day gathering, so you can watch them disappear! Everyone will love these taco wonton cups.
Ingredients for making Taco Wonton Cups
For Wonton Cups
- Wonton wrappers
- Olive oil spray
For Taco Wonton Filling
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Chopped onion
- Cheddar cheese
- Roma tomato
- Green onions (scallions)
When making wonton cups, I recommend using a shot glass or similar glass. This will help your wrappers align with the sides of the muffin cup wells. The wrappers will shrink slightly during baking, and this will ensure that there is a wide enough area for the taco filling in wonton cups.
Equipment Used for Wonton Tacos
How to Make Taco Wonton Cups
Making the Wonton Cups
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Muffin pan preparation. Spray the muffin tin with cooking oil. Spray the bottom half of the shot glass (or small glass) with cooking oil.
Shape the cups. Lightly spritz the wonton wrapper with olive oil spray. Place it so that the sprayed side is even with the muffin cup and press it inside. Use a shot glass to form the wonton wrapper to the sides of the muffin well. Do this with all of the wonton wrappers.
Bake the cups. Bake the wontons for 10 minutes, until golden and crispy. Remove them from the oven, then fill them with your chosen filling. Leave the oven on so you can bake them again once they’re filled.
Making the Seasoned Taco Filling
Cook the ingredients. While the wontons are baking, you can prepare the filling. Add the ground beef to a small skillet and cook it until it is no longer pink.
Fill the cups. Using a small spoon, drop about 1 rounded tablespoon of seasoned beef into each of the baked wonton cups. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of the taco filling.
Bake the Taco Cups. Bake the wontons at 350ºF for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the wontons are golden brown. Top with diced tomatoes and green onion before serving.
- Try different fillings. If taco filling isn’t your thing, try one of these other delicious fillings: chicken fajita filling, refried black beans, or shredded chicken with cream cheese and salsa.
- Chicken wonton tacos: use ground chicken instead of ground beef.
- Use gluten free wonton wrappers to make these taco cups gluten free. Look for wontons made with rice paper.
- For a spicy kick, substitute pico de gallo for the chopped tomato.
- Use egg roll wrappers in place of wonton wrappers. Cut the egg roll wrappers in quarters.
What to Serve with Taco Wonton Cups
Serve these taco cups with sour cream, ranch dressing, or your favorite taco toppings. They are also delicious and served with a side of guacamole or avocado salsa.
How to Store and Reheat Taco Wonton Cups
Leftover taco cups can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
My preferred way to reheat these are in the air fryer at 325ºF for 10 minutes. They will taste just as fresh as when you made them.
To reheat in the oven place them on a baking sheet and bake at 350ºF for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Can I freeze this?
These wonton cups appetizers can also be frozen. Place them on a baking sheet and freeze until solid, then transfer to a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for up to three months. When ready to eat, bake at 350ºF until heated through.
Taco Wonton Cups
- muffin or cupcake pan
- shot glass or a 2" glass cup
- 12 wonton wrappers (find them in the grocery store produce section)
- olive oil spray
Taco Wonton filling
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 3 green onions (scallions), sliced, green parts only
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray muffin pan with cooking oil. Spray the bottom 1/2 of the shot glass (or small glass) with cooking spray.
- Lightly spritz the wonton wrapper with olive oil spray. Place the sprayed side evenly over the muffin cup and press inside. Use the shot glass to form the wonton wrapper to the muffin well sides. Do this with the rest of the wonton wrappers.
- Bake the wontons for 8-10 minutes, until lightly golden and crispy, with little bubbles. Remove baked wonton cups from the oven to fill with filling. Leave the oven on because you will be baking the wontons once they are filled.
Seasoned taco filling
- While the wontons are baking, prepare your filling. Add the ground beef to a small skillet and brown it. Once it is no longer pink, stir in the diced onions, sprinkle with taco seasoning, add water and stir together.
- Use a small spoon to drop about 1 rounded tablespoon of the taco mixture into the baked wonton cups. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of the filling.
- Bake at 350ºF for 8-10 minutes, until the edges of the wonton are golden brown and the cheese topping has melted. Top with diced tomato and green onion before serving.
Air Fryer instructions
- To make these in an air fryer, use glass custard cups for the wonton wrappers, instead of a muffin pan. Bake at 325ºF, following the instructions above.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use spring roll or egg roll wrappers. Cut them into quarters and they will be approximately the size of wonton wrappers.
You can find wonton wrappers in the grocery store produce section or net to the tofu.
Most wonton wrappers have gluten in them. For gluten free wontons, use rice paper wontons and check to see if they are gluten-free.