This cowboy salad is sure to knock your boots off with big, bright flavors! It’s a fun mix of classic chopped salad recipes and homemade bean and corn salsa (cowboy caviar). The delicious Tex-Mex taste and crisp crunchiness will make this vegan salad a favorite at your spring and summer gatherings.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
My inspiration for this cowboy salad was from my love of cowboy caviar by Paula Deen and my favorite chopped salad from Corner Bakery. So, I created this fresh, delicious salad combining the best of both in this recipe.
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS POST
Healthy Cowboy CHopped Salad with Cowboy Caviar
As I mentioned, this cowboy salad has a fun twist! Mixing a classic chopped salad and bean and corn salsa (cowboy caviar) give the recipe a little pizzaz! It becomes a side salad or main dish that even the pickiest eaters will love.
This easy no-cook recipe includes lots of fresh and flavorful raw veggies. Plus, it has hearty goodness from creamy black beans and sweet corn.
The salad is perfect as a dish to share at potlucks, BBQs, and picnics as there’s no meat here. It’s also great to make ahead for lunches, as it keeps really well.
Just drain and rinse the canned ingredients, chop all of the veggies, and toss them together. Then, serve with your favorite southwestern dressing for a deliciously hearty – and healthy – side dish or main entree salad.
What Ingredients You Need For This Recipe
As-is, this is a fantastic vegan-friendly recipe. However, feel free to swap or add ingredients as you like.
Here’s what you’ll need for our favorite healthy classic chopped salad with cowboy flair:
- Romaine lettuce
- Roma tomatoes
- Black beans – canned
- Corn – canned or frozen
- Red onion
- Bell pepper
- Jalapeno pepper
- Fresh lime juice
Optional: canned black-eyed peas or garbanzo beans
Plus any extra goodies you’d like to add, such as chopped scallions, crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese or crumbled cotija for a non-vegan (but still vegetarian) salad, or crispy fried onions.
(Get the full recipe below, but continue reading for some tasty suggestions!)
How to Make Cowboy Salad as a Main Dish
While the recipe below is enough for six or more side salad-sized servings, here are some suggestions for turning it into four hearty dinner portions…
Add a can of drained and rinsed garbanzo beans to make a filling yet still light and vegan-friendly cowboy dinner salad. Or, add in 6 ounces of rotini or pasta. You might consider doubling the avocado (so one full avocado per serving).
Frequently Asked Questions
Nearly all of the ingredients in this recipe can be changed up however you prefer.
– You can use green leaf, Bibb, or any other type of hearty green lettuce you like.
– Add black-eyed peas or garbanzo beans (chickpeas).
– We use canned corn to make our version of cowboy salad. However, you can use 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn that’s been thawed.
– Substitute the Roma tomatoes with whole grape or cherry tomatoes.
– We love the spicy kick that hot peppers add to this recipe, but you can skip it or replace it with sweet peppers for mild cowboy caviar.
– Enjoy this salad with your favorite vegetarian or vegan main dishes like veggie enchiladas, tacos, or a bowl of creamy tomato soup.
– For those not vegan or vegetarian, serve chopped salad with cowboy caviar alongside Pan Seared Chicken Breasts, Crockpot Ranch Pork Chops, Brined Pork Chops, or Creamy Chicken Enchiladas.
Yes, this recipe is terrific to be made ahead up to 3 days before enjoying. So prepare this ahead of your gathering, or include this recipe as part of your weekly meal plan. Keep the salad in one large or a few individual airtight containers in the fridge. And wait to add the salad dressing until ready to serve.
Here’s the Full Chopped Salad Recipe with Cowboy Caviar
- chef's knife
- large bowl
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped (about 2 small heads of lettuce)
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced (can substitute with 15 oz canned tomatoes, drained)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 oz) shoe peg white corn, rinsed and drained (any type of corn can be used)
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and membrane removed, minced
- 1 Tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- In a large salad bowl, mix salad ingredients together. Then, toss with lime juice. Or spread the salad ingredients on a large serving platter, and squeeze lemon juice on top.
- Toss with your favorite salad dressing and top with optional bacon just before serving.