These Mini Cheese Biscuits will be a big hit at your next potluck or dinner party. They might be tiny, but they are loaded with lots of flavor from some of your favorite ingredients, like shredded cheese and savory bacon. Try these mini biscuits recipe for making the best, tender, and flaky appetizers from scratch in only 15 minutes!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS POST
- Easy Mini Biscuits Made From Scratch
- Ingredients to Make Mini Biscuit Appetizers
- How To Make Easy Mini Cheese Biscuits
- How To Reheat Biscuits
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Full Mini Cheese Biscuits Recipe
- More Potluck Recipe Ideas For You To Try
- Check out these Self-Rising Flour Recipes
Easy Mini Biscuits Made From Scratch
There is nothing better to bring to a potluck, or serve as an appetizer or side with your favorite dishes, than fluffy and tender homemade biscuits. Although they always impress guests, you might be surprised to know how easy they are to make from scratch…
I’ve shared several delicious biscuit recipes on the site, and they tend to be some of my most popular posts.
Everyone loves my Easy 3 Ingredient Biscuits and Drop Biscuits with Self Rising Flour as simple and satisfying bakes. And Cheddar Jalapeno Drop Biscuits are packed with spicy flavors and cheesiness. They really add something special to the table!
Likewise, these mini biscuits are loaded with shredded cheese and many other tasty goodies, like bacon and chives. They’re just as easy to prepare as my other appetizer biscuits but are smaller for an adorable presentation and great portion control (if you’re into that).
Mini biscuits with cheese are the perfect finger food, and ideal to serve at your next get-together, BBQ, or potluck. They can even be made ahead with no need to keep them cold or heated. Serve them however you like and watch them disappear!
Ingredients to Make Mini Biscuit Appetizers
This biscuit appetizers recipe only requires 7 ingredients. You likely have most of these staples in your kitchen right now!
To make the best loaded mini biscuits you’ll need:
- Self-rising flour*
- Cooked bacon
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Fresh chives or scallions
- Onion powder
- Half and half
*If you don’t have self-rising flour, that’s ok – you can easily make your own. See below for how to make all-purpose flour self-rising.
If you don’t have half and half, you can use 1/2 milk and 1/2 cream mixed together.
Make Self-Rising Flour from All-Purpose FLour
In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour with 1 tablespoon of baking powder, plus 1/2 a teaspoon of salt. Whisk together well.
How To Make Easy Mini Cheese Biscuits
Because they are small, the biscuits require only a little bit of time to make from start to finish. They are ready in just 15 minutes… 5 minutes of prep time, and 10 minutes in the oven.
Follow these simple steps to make cute and tasty cheesy biscuit appetizers from scratch:
Then, combine the flour, cooled and chopped cooked bacon, shredded cheese, and seasonings in a medium bowl. Make a well in the middle of the mixture, and pour in the cold half and half. Use a wooden spoon to mix.
Dust a clean work surface with a bit of flour, and tip the dough onto the center of your workspace. Using clean hands, fold the sticky dough in thirds, like a letter. This process creates layers in the dough and eliminates any stickiness. Pat the dough into a rectangle shape about 1 inch thick.
Next, use a 1 3/4 inch biscuit cutter (or a greased shot glass) to cut out the mini biscuit appetizer. For the fluffiest biscuits, push straight down on the cuter and pull straight up – do not twist! Repeat the process, patting and reshaping the dough as needed until you’ve cut out 35 biscuit appetizers with cheese.
Place the mini biscuits on the baking sheet, leaving about an inch between them. Bake for about 10 minutes until lightly golden.
Let the mini cheese biscuits cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before you serve.
Get the full mini cheese biscuits recipe below.
How To Reheat Biscuits
Reheat biscuits easily in the oven or air fryer, or quickly in the microwave.
In the oven: preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wrap the biscuits in foil and bake for 10 minutes.
In the microwave: wrap the biscuits in a dampened paper towel. Microwave at 50% power in 30-second intervals. Reheat just until warmed, do not overcook them as they’ll become hard.
If you love appetizers, check out these easy appetizer recipes
- Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers
- Loaded Tater Tots Appetizer
- Bisquick Sausage Balls with Cheese
- Pretzel Balls from Ready-Dough
- Pretzel Cheese DIp
- Tater Tot Egg Nests
- Easy Party Appetizers
- Italian Sliders
- 3 Ingredient Biscuits
- How to Make a Cheese and Charcuterie Board
Frequently Asked Questions
You can achieve the same tender biscuit texture by using half whole milk and half cream in place of half and half. You can also use only whole milk if it’s all you have, but your mini cheese biscuits might not be quite as fluffy.
I recommend that you serve them with an herbed butter or cheese dip.
Once the mini cheese biscuits have cooled, store them in a sealed container at room temperature. They will keep well for up to 4 or 5 days.
To freeze, wrap the biscuits individually with plastic wrap before storing them together in an airtight container. Keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Full Mini Cheese Biscuits Recipe
Mini Cheese Biscuits
- Baking Sheet
- biscuit cutter (optional)
- 2½ cups self-rising flour, divided (see notes for all-purpose flour)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled, and cooled
- ½ cup (4 oz) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp chives or scallions, minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ cups half and half (can use half whole milk and half cream)
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- Add 2 cups flour, bacon (be sure it's cooled), cheese, and herbs/spices to a medium bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in cold half and half. Stir with a wooden spoon until mixed.
- Dust the counter with 1/2 cup of flour, and add biscuit dough on top. The dough will be sticky, fold the dough in thirds (like a letter) 3-4 times, until about 1/2 the flour has been mixed into the dough and it is no longer sticky. Pat into a rectangle about 1" thick.
- Cut biscuits with a 1¾" biscuit cutter (or small shot glass). Press down and bring straight up. Do not twist biscuit cutter. Pat excess dough out, cut, and repeat process again. You will have about 35 mini biscuits.
- Place biscuits on a cookie sheet about 1" apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden. Serve with herbed butter or cheese dip.