If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
We all love those iconic Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits, loaded with cheddar cheese, garlic, and brushed with luscious melted butter. And YES it is absolutely possible to enjoy them at home whenever you like! With only one bowl and a handful of ingredients, including Bisquick baking mix, you can make this homemade cheese biscuits recipe in under 20 minutes. These tasty cheddar biscuits are light, fluffy, and every bite is full of cheesy goodness.
Soft and Fluffy Bisquick Cheddar Bay Biscuits
I promise that these cheesy biscuits are just like the ones you know from Red Lobster, but made at home with love and just 6 simple ingredients.
Similar to our Biquick drop biscuits recipe, we use Bisquick baking mix to get no-fail fluffy biscuits every time.
In fact, our copycat Red Lobster cheese biscuits with Bisquick are better than what you typically get in a restaurant.
These beauties are loaded with shredded cheddar, baked to golden perfection, lightly brushed with butter, and served hot and fresh from your own kitchen.
What’s not to love?!
Make a batch of garlic cheese biscuits any night of the week for a quick side that is sure to make everyone at the table happy!
Copycat Red Lobster biscuits with Bisquick Ingredients
With a handful of ingredients and less than 20 minutes you are able to make the fluffiest and most delicious biscuits from scratch…ish. The Bisquick baking mix does make prep easier and creates a super tasty biscuit every time.
You will need:
- Original Bisquick Baking Mix – in the yellow box
- Baking powder – optional for extra fluffy biscuits
- Garlic powder – essential for garlic cheese biscuits for obvious reasons
- Shredded cheddar cheese – here we use sharp cheddar
- Milk – the more fat (like whole milk) the better * see recipe notes for more on this
- Melted butter – for brushing the tops of baked biscuits
Easy biscuit ingredient substitutions:
How to Make the Best Bisquick Cheese Biscuits
These Bisquick cheddar bay biscuits could not be any easier to make. Because they are drop biscuits there’s no need to fold and shape a dough just right. Instead, a rough dough is quickly made and then dropped by the spoonful – no cutting necessary!
Follow these 4 simple steps to fluffy, cheesy biscuit perfection:
Step 1: Preheat the oven 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Prepare the biscuit dough:
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture. Then pour in the milk and shredded cheese.
- Gently stir for only about 30 seconds, until a sticky dough forms. Add a tablespoon more milk if the dough is too thick, but be careful that you do not over mix.
Step 3: Drop the dough onto the baking sheet, using two spoons or a small dough scoop, about 2″ apart from each other (this makes 6-8 biscuits).
Step 4: Bake the Bisquick cheddar bay biscuits for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
Remove them from the oven promptly (so they don’t over-bake). Brush with melted butter and serve warm.
More Easy Baking Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
Use Gluten Free Bisquick Baking Mix for equally soft and delicious GF-friendly garlic cheese biscuits.
Yes, you technically can make Bisquick cheese biscuits with 1:1 water for milk. I would recommend using a milk substitute like almond milk or soy milk instead for better results. The texture and taste won’t be quite the same as the original recipe.
It is possible that you over mixed the dough. Be sure to bring the dry and wet ingredients together quickly, mixing just until they form a tacky dough.
You can make these biscuits ahead of time and keep them in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Any longer than that and I suggest that you freeze them.
Wrap the individual biscuits in aluminum foil and seal together in a freezer-safe zipper bag. They will keep well in the freezer for up to 3 weeks. Reheat from frozen by baking in a 350 degree Fahrenheit preheated oven for about 10 minutes
Yes, with a simple modification. Skip the baking powder and use 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda instead.
Red Lobster Cheddar Bay (Bisquick!) Biscuits recipe
Bisquick Cheddar Biscuits (Cheddar Bay Biscuits)
- Baking Sheet
- 2½ cups Original Bisquick mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup milk (At least 2% milkfat, see notes for skim and non-fat)
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Using a medium-sized bowl, add dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Create a well in the center of the Bisquick mixture. Pour in the milk and grated cheese. Stir, just until the dough comes together and away from the walls of the bowl (about 30 seconds). If biscuit dough is difficult to stir, add 1-2 Tbsp of milk. For flaky, tender biscuits, do not over mix.
- Grease or line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Using two large spoons or small scoop, drop the batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Keep biscuit batter 2" apart. This recipe makes 6-8 biscuits.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes, until golden in color. Brush biscuits with melted butter and serve warm.