If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
Zuppa Toscana soup was a welcome discovery at Olive Garden many years ago. With Italian sausage, potatoes, and kale in a creamy base it’s a tasty, delicious soup. Best of all, you can have this Tuscan soup on the table in less than 45 minutes.
If you’re truly pressed for time, use frozen chopped onions, prepared minced garlic, and frozen kale instead of fresh. Preheat your broth and water in the microwave. Between that and eliminating the potatoes, you can turn Zuppa Toscana into a 10 minute soup.
Since fresh kale isn’t a vegetable that I ordinarily keep on hand, I keep frozen kale in the freezer. It an easy way to sneak extra nutrition into soups. If you don’t like the taste of kale, try frozen spinach instead.
TNF Tip: for the creamiest potato sausage kale soup, use heavy cream. Although half and half works here, it won’t be quite as rich. In case you didn’t know, half and half is a mixture of milk and cream.
For this recipe, I usually use Turkey Italian Sausage. That way I feel less guilty about using heavy cream. But, any type of ground sausage works. Just be sure to drain off the fat once the sausage is browned.
So, let’s make some Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana right at home!
How to Make Zuppa Toscana
Using a sturdy soup pot or Dutch oven cook the sausage on medium heat.
Break down the sausage into crumbles, uniform in size.
When the sausage is still pink, but beginning to brown, add the onions and garlic.
Stir, until the vegetables and sausage are mixed together.
Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
To speed things along, use this time to pre-heat the broth and water in the microwave.
Add broth and water to the sausage and onions, then add potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Add the lid to your soup pot and simmer for 15 minutes. The potatoes should be fork tender.
Stir in the half and half or cream. Be sure to keep the burner on your lowest setting after adding the cream to prevent it from curdling.
Add the kale 5 minutes before serving Zuppa Toscana.
You might love these Soup Recipes, too
Make the Best Zuppa Toscana Soup With This Recipe
- Soup pot
- 1 lb. Italian Sausage (I prefer Turkey Italian Sausage)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth or stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-n-half (heavy cream gives the richest flavor)
- 3 russet potatoes, scrubbed and 2” diced
- 2 cups kale, rough chopped
- Using a heavy stockpot or Dutch oven, brown the Italian sausage, breaking in into smaller pieces. Drain any visible fat.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Mix in broth, water, and potatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes, and potatoes are softened.
- Stir in cream, keeping your burner on its lowest setting to prevent burning. Add kale and serve.
As with Olive Garden, Zuppa Toscana soup pairs well with a little bread. Check out these recipes that will pair perfectly with this soup: