This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is an incredibly tasty and creamy recipe that is perfect for a hot summer or a cold winter day!
If you’re rushed at dinnertime, you know that pressure of needing a quick and easy dinner idea.
Well, this creamy chicken tortilla soup in Instant Pot recipe comes together in no time at all, with very little effort on your part! Just add everything to the pressure cooker and press start.
versatility of Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe in Instant Pot
I usually make this for dinner early in the week so that we have leftovers for lunch during the week.
What makes this chicken tortilla soup extra special is its versatility. You can easily make it your own by adding different ingredients or tweaking the seasonings to suit your taste by checking our recipe variations below.
So if you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner idea that never fails to satisfy, be sure to give this Instant Pot creamy chicken tortilla soup a try! You won’t be disappointed.
Perfect Soup for Any Time of the Year
Using an Instant Pot to make soup is ideal because it creates less heat than the stove, meaning your kitchen will stay cooler. That’s a real plus during the summer.
And, Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup is also great in the winter. It’s a warm, creamy, comforting dish that will make you feel good on a cold day.
Love Instant Pot Recipes? Check out our Instant Pot chicken thighs and potatoes, garlic mashed potatoes, mashed red potatoes, Instant Pot chicken tenders, and Instant Pot Tortellini Soup.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Aromatics – I used diced white onion and garlic. However, you can use another type of onion such as red or yellow for this recipe.
- Tomatoes – I used fire roasted diced canned tomatoes for their smoky flavor. But fresh or regular canned diced tomatoes can also be used as a substitute.
- Jalapeno peppers – You can use fresh or canned jalapeno peppers. Also, other types of hot peppers, such as chipotle or serrano can be used if you don’t have jalapenos in hand.
- Chicken – We used chicken breast for this recipe but you can use different cuts such as tenderloins, and chicken thighs.
- Chicken stock or broth – Used as a liquid for the soup.
- Cumin – This is a staple spice in Mexican flavor and gives our soup its signature flavor.
- Cream cheese – Adds creaminess to the soup, but Greek yogurt or sour cream can also be used as a substitute.
- (Optional) Tortilla chips – You can use crushed tortilla chips as a topping for added texture.
Kitchen Tools Needed
- Instant Pot (or any electric pressure cooker)
- Bowl – for serving
Shop This Post
New to the Instant Pot? Be sure to read my How to Use the Instant Pot 101 and Tips & Hacks for the Instant Pot first. You’ll be a pressure cooker boss in no time!
Make the Easiest Chicken Tortilla Soup Instant Pot Recipe
Sauté. Set the pressure cooker to the sauté function until it is heated. Add onion and garlic and sauté them for 3 minutes.
Pressure cook. Add the broth to deglaze the pot, then add the chicken and all the other ingredients to the Instant Pot, except for the cream cheese.
Press the cancel button to turn off the sauté mode. Then select high-pressure for 15 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients. When the pressure cycle is done, let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally (leaving the pot undisturbed) for 10 minutes.
Then do a quick release by carefully turning the pressure lever or depressing the pressure button on your pot.
Keep the pot warm. Stir in cream cheese and let it melt for 10 minutes until the soup is creamy and thickened.
Ready to Serve. You can garnish with broken tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro, Cotija cheese, salsa, or hot sauce.
Cooking Chicken Tortilla Soup in a Crock Pot Slow Cooker
Prepare. Layer the ingredients (except tortilla chips and cream cheese) to make this in the slow cooker. Start with the chicken and add the water and broth.
Cook. Set the Crock-Pot and cook on low for 7-8 house.
Serve. Stir in some cream cheese 10 minutes before serving. Then top with tortilla chips before serving.
- If you like things spicy, chop the jalapeno peppers and leave the membranes and seeds in there for a bit of a kick.
- To make this pressure cooker tortilla soup vegan, omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- For more protein, add cooked quinoa or tofu.
- If you’re not a fan of cilantro, you can omit it or substitute it with parsley.
- The soup is also delicious and served with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
How to Serve
This Chicken Tortilla soup is delicious topped with a dollop of sour cream, shredded or Cotija cheese, and chopped cilantro.
Serve it with corn or flour tortillas and a side of pinto beans.
How to Store
Leftover pressure cooker tortilla soup can be stored in the fridge for up to four days. To reheat, place it in a pot on the stove over low heat until warmed.
When reheating, bring the soup to a boil first before serving. You can also add a little broth or water to thin it out if it’s too thick.
Can I freeze this Creamy Tortilla Soup Recipe?
This creamy chicken tortilla soup recipe can also be frozen for up to three months. Let it cool first before freezing it in an airtight container.
To thaw, place the frozen soup in the fridge overnight. Then, reheat it on the stove over low heat until warmed through.
Frequently Asked Questions
My preferred method is to sauté the soup on saute less (or low) for 10-15 minutes until it thickens.
Yes, corn tortillas will typically dissolve in soup. To retain their shape, add them to the soup at the end and let them sit for a few minutes until they soften. Or, add corn tortillas to the soup by cutting them into smaller pieces.
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup (Instant Pot)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 14 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 jalapeno peppers membranes and seeds removed, minced
- 2 pounds chicken breast chicken tenderloins, or chicken thighs (a mixture gives the best flavor)
- 4 cups hot chicken stock or broth *See Notes
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ cup (4 ounces) cream cheese
- 1 cup tortilla chips broken, for garnish
Instant Pot Cooking
- Set pressure cooker to the sauté function and add oil to the pot. When the oil is hot, add chopped onions and minced garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients except cream cheese to the Instant Pot. Press the cancel button to turn off the sauté mode. Manually set pot to cook on high-pressure for 15 minutes. Place lid on the pressure cooker and lock it into place. Close the venting valve.
- When the pressure cycle is done, leave the Instant Pot alone for a natural pressure release for 10 minutes. Then do a quick release by carefully turning the pressure valve or depress the pressure button on your pot.
- Keep the pot on the warm setting. Stir in cream cheese and let warm in the pot for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with broken tortilla chips and your favorite toppings like sliced avocado, cilantro, Cotija cheese, salsa, or hot sauce.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Layer the ingredients (except tortilla chips and cream cheese) to make this in the slow cooker. Start with the chicken and end with the water and broth. Set the crockpot to cook on low for 7-8 house. Stir in cream cheese 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with broken tortilla chips for serving.
Leave a Reply