As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
Crunchy and juicy Bisquick oven fried chicken is a classic dinner that the whole family loves. Tender pieces of chicken are double battered in an egg wash and Bisquick baking mix with parmesan cheese, then baked to perfection. The result is a dish that’s healthier than deep-frying, but still has that great crispy texture and amazing fried chicken taste you crave. This Bisquick chicken breast recipe can be oven baked or prepared in the air fryer. It’s an easy and quick entree that’s ready to serve with your favorite sides in only 30 minutes.
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS POST
The Best Bisquick Oven Fried Chicken
When I was a kid, Shake n Bake Chicken was a big thing. This Bisquick crispy oven baked chicken recipe reminds me a lot of that, since one way to easily coat the chicken is to add the flour mix to a ziplock bag, then add the chicken, and shake it to coat.
The secret to perfect oven-fried chicken that is crispy and crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside is to double coat the chicken.
Pieces are dipped in egg, shaken up with Bisquick and parmesan cheese, then dipped and shaken again. Melted butter is drizzled on the chicken just before it is baked to add that golden fried texture and flavor.
These simple foolproof steps are sure to help you make the best parmesan baked chicken that’s better (and healthier!) than deep frying.
For an even more convenient and modern twist, we also have steps for how to prepare this easy chicken recipe in the air fryer. Either method, baked or air fried, only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.
Ingredients Needed for Bisquick Baked Chicken
These crispy chicken breasts are made with a ready-to-go Bisquick baking mix. So you only need a handful of other ingredients for this easy recipe!
- Bisquick mix
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt
- Chicken breasts
How to Make Crispy Oven Baked Bisquick Chicken
This fantastic dish is as easy to make as it is tasty to enjoy. There are four main steps to prepare the best Bisquick fried chicken recipe in 30 minutes from start to finish.
- First, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or aluminum foil sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Next, beat the two eggs in a small tray or rimmed dish. Add the Bisquick, cheese, garlic salt and paprika to a large 1-gallon resealable bag. Give a gently shake to mix.
- Dip the chicken into the beaten eggs, then place in the plastic bag. Seal the bag and shake to coat. For the BEST and crispiest Bisquick oven fried chicken, do another round of dipping the chicken into the egg and then coating again in more of the Bisquick mixture. Set the coated chicken onto the prepare baking sheet. Repeat this process with all of the pieces. Drizzle melted butter evenly over all of the chicken.
- Bake the Bisquick chicken for 25 minutes, turning over halfway through cooking (about 12 minutes into baking). Use a meat thermometer to make sure the chicken is 165 degrees before removing from the oven.
Keep reading for these tips and frequently asked questionson how to prepare crispy Bisquick air fryer chicken breasts or see the recipe below!
Tips and Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, feel free to use chicken tenders or chicken thighs. For boneless skinless tenders, check the internal temperature after baking for 20 minutes. Bone-in pieces will likely require at least 30 minutes to bake.
Swap the traditional baking mix with Gluten-Free Bisquick to easily make this a GF-friendly dish.
The preparation is similar to oven baked chicken. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees, and spray the basket with cooking oil. Air fry chicken breasts for 20 minutes, and bone-in pieces for 25 minutes. Turn halfway through cooking, and test with a meat thermometer before serving. See the full recipe card below for more detailed air fryer chicken tips.
Serve crispy oven baked chicken tenders with dipping sauces like honey mustard, ranch, mango sweet chili, or barbecue sauce.
Enjoy oven fried breasts or thighs with your favorite classic side dishes. Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, Rice-A-Roni, and fresh green salads are just a few sides my family loves. And don’t forget the Bisquick Drop Biscuits!
Leftover bake chicken made with Bisquick will keep well for up to 3 days. Let the chicken cool before transferring to a sealed container and keep in the fridge.
The Full Recipe to Make Bisquick Baked or Air Fryer Chicken
Bisquick Oven Fried Chicken
- Baking Sheet or sheet pan
- Plates or dipping trays
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cup original Bisquick mix
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, or cut pieces (about 6 boneless chicken breasts)
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.
- Add beaten egg to a small tray or rimmed plate. Mix Bisquick, cheese, garlic salt and paprika together and add to 1-gallon resealable plastic food-storage bag.
- Dip the chicken breasts or pieces into egg mixture; then place in bag of Bisquick mixture. Seal bag; shake to coat. Then REPEAT the process by dipping chicken into the egg and shaking in Bisquick mix again. You don't want to skip this step – it makes the chicken crispy and perfectly breaded. Place chicken on a prepared baking sheet. Drizzle butter over chicken.
- Bake 25 minutes for boneless chicken breasts or thighs, 30 minutes for bone-in chicken. Using tongs, turn chicken tenders halfway through (12 minutes). Use an instant-read meat thermometer to check the temperature of the chicken. Poultry should be cooked until the internal temperature is 165ºF. Serve with your favorite dipping sauces like honey mustard or ranch.
Air Fryer directions
- Spray air fryer basket with cooking spray. Preheat air fryer according your manufacturer's directions.
- Add beaten egg to a small tray or rimmed plate. Mix Bisquick mix, cheese, salt and paprika and add to a 1-gallon resealable plastic food-storage bag.
- Dip the chicken breasts or thighs into egg; then place in bag of Bisquick mixture. Seal bag; shake to coat. Then REPEAT the process by dipping chicken into the egg and shaking in Bisquick mix again. You don't want to skip this step – it makes the chicken crispy and perfectly breaded. Place chicken in air fryer basket. Drizzle butter over chicken.
- Air fry at 400ºF for 20 minutes for boneless breasts or thighs and 25 minutes for bone-in chicken. Using tongs, turn chicken tenders halfway through (10 minutes). Use an instant-read meat thermometer to check the temperature of chicken tenderloins. Poultry should be cooked until the internal temperature is 165ºF. Serve with your favorite dipping sauces like honey mustard or ranch.
Get more Easy Bisquick recipes
- Bisquick Cheddar Biscuits (Cheddar Bay Biscuits)
- Bisquick Chicken Tenders
- Easy Bisquick Cherry Cobbler
- Bisquick Drop Biscuits
- Bisquick Peach Cobbler
- Apple Cobbler with Bisquick
- Simple Bisquick Blueberry Cobbler
Here are more Chicken Recipes:
- Sheet Pan Chicken Drumsticks
- Sheet Pan Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Tenderloins
- Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Crock Pot Smothered Chicken
- Chicken Tenderloin Recipes