This Christmas Crack Chex Mix is so addicting, thanks to the sweet white chocolate and salty pretzels with honey-roasted peanuts. Just one bite of it, and you’re hooked!
Content Covered Here
Why We Love Christmas Crack Chex Mix
- Sweet and salty combo.
Do you love the salty and sweet combo? If so, you’ll love this Christmas Chex mix! This recipe is delish and perfect for the holiday season.
This mix has it all – Chex cereal, pretzels, peanuts, and of course, white chocolate.
- Perfect for a party snack.
It’s a great snack when your family and friends come over. The best part is that it’s really easy to make!
- It’s a great gift idea!
Package it up in a cute jar or cellophane bag to give to your neighbors, friends, or your favorite delivery person… Everyone will love it!
- Chex cereal: Corn, wheat, rice… any variety works. Or, use a combination of several kinds!
- Pretzels: Grids or sticks are best because they’re small enough to grab with a handful of the other goodies!
- Nuts: We love adding honey-roasted peanuts to our Chex mix, but any type of nut would be delicious! If you need a nut-free snack, you could make some Bisquick funnel cake and dust it with colored sugar!
- White chocolate chips: You can use any kind of chocolate you like, but white chips are the most addictive.
- M&Ms: Red and green candies give the party dish a festive color. If you can’t find the holiday bags, you can pick the red and green ones out of a regular bag of M&Ms. 😉
Use a different cereal.
There are a lot of other cereals that would taste great in Christmas crack Chex mix. You can choose a different Chex flavor, or go all-out with a crispy rice cereal or even a flavored variety, like peanut butter Cap’n Crunch!
Make it crunchy or chewy.
Add in different types of nuts, like almonds, cashews, or even popcorn for crunch. Try dried fruit for a little bit of sweetness.
For extra sweetness and a pop of color, add crushed candy cane candy to the top of the dish.
Try a different type of chocolate.
If you’re not a fan of white chocolate, you can use milk chocolate or dark chocolate instead.
Make a festive topping!
Use holiday-themed M&Ms or sprinkle on some holiday sprinkles before cooling for a festive touch.
Christmas Chex Mix Recipe Tips
- Combine the cereal.
Stir all the ingredients together (except for the white chocolate chips) in a large bowl until they are combined.
- Melt the chocolate slowly!
Microwave white chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl in 30-second increments, stirring in between until it is completely melted.
Don’t melt it too quickly or the chocolate will separate and get grainy.
- Break apart and serve!
Break the hardened snack mix into pieces, put it in a large bowl, and serve it to your guests!
Serving and Gifting Suggestions
Consider giving Christmas snack mix or other homemade treats as food gifts to friends and family during the holidays! You can package it up in a cute jar or cellophane bag, then tie a bit of ribbon around the top. Everyone will love the salty and sweet combo!
Or, serve the Christmas crack Chex mix as a snack at your next holiday party or family gathering. It’s also great for munching while wrapping presents or watching your favorite holiday movie.
How to Store
Store your snack mix in a Ziploc bag or an airtight container for up to 6 days at room temperature. It will keep even longer in the freezer. Place it in a freezer-safe bag or container and it will keep for up to 3 months.
Make sure to let it cool completely before storing it. Otherwise, the mixture will get soggy.
Chex Mix Recipe FAQ
The key to making sure it doesn’t get soggy is to let it cool completely before storing it.
If you store it while it’s still warm, the chocolate will get all melty, and it will be soggy. But if you let it cool completely, it will stay nice and crisp!
If you find that the pieces are too hard to eat, it’s most likely because the chocolate was cooked too long rather than melted. When it’s spread over the cereal, it hardens and is unpleasant to eat.
Be sure to gently melt the chocolate so the texture is smooth and creamy.
Christmas Crack Chex Mix
- large mixing bowl
- Small microwave safe bowl - for melting white chocolate
- Baking Sheet
- parchment paper - optional
- 4 cups Chex cereal
- 2 cups pretzel grids or sticks
- 1 cup honey roasted peanuts
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup Christmas M&Ms (any variety of M&Ms, Skittles, or other candy will work)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter melted
- 2 cups (12 ounces) white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup crushed candy canes
- Stir all ingredients together (except the white chocolate chips) in a large bowl. Prepare the baking sheet by greasing with cooking spray or lining it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the white chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir.
- Continue microwaving the chocolate chips in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until it is completely melted.
- Using a large spoon, pour the melted white chocolate over the cereal mixture, and stir until everything is fully coated.
- Use a spatula to spread the Christmas Chex Mix on the prepared baking sheet. The mixture should be about 1 inch thick in the pan. Sprinkle crushed candy cane candy on top if using.
- Allow the Chex cereal mixture to cool for at least 20 minutes or until the white chocolate is hard.
- Once cooled, break the Christmas Chex mix into 1 – 2 inch pieces and store for up to 6 days at room temperature in an air-tight container.