Shredded Carrot Salad is not just a sidekick, but a superstar in its own right! Picture crunchy shredded carrots mingling with sweet raisins and tangy dressing. Whip up this shredded carrot salad that’s not just good for you, but is also packed with flavor.
Content Covered Here
Why We Love Shredded Carrot Salad
- Healthy Easter side dish.
This easy salad recipe is ideal for picnics, outdoor events, and holiday gatherings. You can also bring Carrot Pie or Holiday Carrot Casserole to your Easter party.
- Have extra carrots? No problem!
This carrot salad with raisins is the perfect side for when you have an abundance of carrots. Shred them up and toss together this tasty salad.
- Kids love it!
With the crunchy carrots and sweet raisins, kids love this dish as an after-school snack or mid-day side with their meal.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Carrots: you can shred them yourself or buy pre-shredded carrots from the store.
- Raisins: use craisins or dried cherries instead of raisins or leave them out altogether. Sprouts and Trader Joe’s have a great selection of dried fruit.
- Olive oil: avocado oil is a great substitute for olive oil.
- Champagne vinegar: if you can’t find champagne vinegar, you can use white wine vinegar.
- Honey: this is a great way to sweeten the carrots.
- Dijon mustard: a little mustard makes this salad tangy.
- Thyme: fresh thyme is preferred, but you can use dried thyme as well.
TFN Pro Tip
Warming honey in the microwave for 10-15 seconds (or using a hot water bath) allows it to combine with the other ingredients for a smooth, perfectly emulsified dressing.
Shredded Carrot Salad Recipe Tips for Success
- Allow the carrots time to marinate.
Add the carrots, raisins, salt, and sugar to a large bowl and mix.
Allow this to sit while you prepare the dressing so the flavors combine.
- Combine the dressing ingredients thoroughly.
To properly make the dressing, whisk or shake the ingredients thoroughly in a glass jar or measuring cup.
This (and the mustard) helps combine the oil and vinegar so they don’t separate.
- Pour the dressing and let it sit for the best flavor.
After pouring the dressing over the salad, allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes for the flavors to properly meld together.
Carrot Salad With Raisins FAQs
Yes, definitely! To make it ahead, store the salad and dressing separately. Cover and keep them refrigerated for up to 2 days.
We love using the shredding attachment on the food processor to quickly shred any vegetable, including carrots. If you don’t have this option, a box grater is the next best option.
No, this healthy carrot salad has no mayo. Instead, it uses oil, vinegar, and Dijon mustard to make a zesty dressing. Be sure to shake it vigorously until it’s fully emulsified.
Storing and Reheating
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To keep the salad fresh and crisp, keep the dressing and carrots separate.
Shredded Carrot Salad
- medium jar with screw on lid
- 4 cups carrots shredded
- ¾ cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup olive oil (or avocado oil)
- ¼ cup champagne vinegar (can substitute with white wine vinegar)
- ¼ cup honey warmed
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ lemon zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Add the shredded carrots and raisins to a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and stir. Set aside while you prepare the dressing.
- Using a medium sized jar, add the olive oil, champagne vinegar, warmed honey, dijon mustard, and lemon juice and zest. Screw on the lid and shake until the dressing has emulsified.
- Drizzle dressing over salad, stirring until well combined. Sprinkle with thyme before serving.