This Jiffy Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread is a perfect mix of moist, fluffy, spicy, and cheesy flavor! It’s so good, that you’ll want to make a double batch of this Mexican inspired cornbread recipe.
Jiffy jalapeno cheddar cornbread is the perfect side dish for your next Mexican feast!
This cornbread is quick and easy to make, using Jiffy mix as the base. It’s loaded with jalapenos and cheddar cheese, for a delicious flavor profile that everyone will love. Serve this corn bread alongside chili, tacos, or any other Mexican dish for a meal that is sure to please!
Content Covered Here
What does the Jiffy Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread taste like?
This jalapeño cornbread is the perfect mix of sweet and savory. The Jiffy corn muffin mix makes it fluffy, while the jalapenos and cheddar give it a mild spicy and cheesy flavor.
It’s a delicious treat with every bite!
The cornbread is moist and has a great texture, making it the perfect side dish for any Mexican dinner. And, it’s an ideal dish to bring to potlucks or family gatherings.
What we love most about the Jiffy jalapeno cornbread recipe is how easy it is to make! Simply mix together the ingredients, put them in the baking dish, then bake. That’s it!
You can also add your favorites to the recipe mix like honey, bacon, or green onions. Just have fun and be creative.
This jalapeño cornbread is so easy that it’s perfect for busy weeknights or when you have surprise guests. This cornbread with cheese and jalapenos will be a hit with everyone who tries it.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Jiffy corn muffin mix – This recipe calls for a boxed Jiffy corn muffin mix. But you can also use similar boxed mixes if you prefer.
- Jalapeno peppers – We used seeded and finely chopped jalapenos. You can remove the membranes if you prefer a milder flavor.
- Eggs – Helps bind the ingredients and give the bread its light texture.
- Water or milk – I prefer using milk, but water works fine. But don’t use water without the cheese. The cheese adds fat to the cornbread recipe and helps to create a tender, not a crumbly crumb.
For dairy-free, use almond or soy milk and leave out the shredded cheese.
- Cheese – We used shredded cheddar cheese for that cheesy deliciousness, but you can use other types of cheese such as Colby Jack or pepper jack for a different flavor.
- Chopped cilantro – I love the kick of flavor it adds to the recipe but you can also use other chopped herbs such as parsley or green onions.
- Cooking oil spray – You can also use melted butter for greasing the skillet.
Kitchen Tools Needed
How to make Jiffy Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
Baking preparation. Preheat the oven to 400º F. Lightly grease your casserole dish or cast iron skillet and set aside.
Pour the batter into a casserole dish or cast iron skillet. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes before baking.
Bake the Cornbread. Bake at 400ºF for 20-23 minutes, until the center is set and cornbread is golden brown.
Ready to Serve. Serve it warm with butter, honey, or jam.
- Bacon jalapeno cornbread: add 1/4 cup bacon bits or crispy cooked bacon.
- Jalapeno honey cornbread: add 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Cheesy cornbread: Add in other shredded cheeses like Pepper Jack, Colby-Jack, or Monterey Jack for cheesy cornbread.
- For a spicier cornbread, use more diced jalapeno peppers or leave in the membranes.
- Add diced onions, green chilies, or both for an extra flavor punch.
- Make it gluten free by using a gluten free cornbread mix and gluten free all purpose flour.
- Add sour cream to the batter for an extra moist and rich cornbread.
How to make Cornbread without Eggs
To make cornbread without eggs: use 5 1/2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, silken tofu, or an egg replacer like, Simply Gggless (just follow their directions for 2 eggs.)
How to make Jiffy Jalapeno Corn Muffins
To make Jiffy Jalapeno Corn Muffins: fill the muffin tin 3/4 of the way full with batter. This will make about 12 muffins. Bake in a preheated oven at 400º F for 17-20 minutes.
How to Serve Jiffy Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
You can serve this Mexican style cornbread with Jiffy mix warm, straight from the oven. Slice into squares or wedges and serve with butter, honey, or jam. This cornbread is also delicious on its own!
How to Store Jiffy Jalapeno Cornbread
This Mexican style cornbread with Jiffy mix is best served fresh, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temp for up to three days. To reheat: cover leftovers with a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds increments until warm. To bake in the oven or air fryer, wrap in foil and bake at 350ºF for 10-15 minutes.
Reminder: Be sure to use a damp a paper towel and wrap the corn bread in it before microwaving it. This will help keep the cornbread moist. Because if you don’t reheat it correctly, it will crumble easily.
Can I freeze this Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread?
Yes! This Jiffy jalapeno cornbread freezes well. Wrap leftovers tightly in plastic wrap or place them in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating. Then, follow the reheating instructions above.
Get the Full Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread Recipe here
Jiffy Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- 10" cast iron skillet
- non-stick cooking spray
- 2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 3 jalapeno peppers seeded and finely chopped (for milder flavor, remove membranes)
- 2 large eggs beaten **see notes for substitutions
- ⅔ cup milk or water
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Lightly grease your cast iron skillet or casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Add corn muffin mix into a medium mixing bowl. Then, stir in chopped jalapeno peppers, beaten eggs, water or milk, shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped cilantro. Stir just until mixed.
- Pour into casserole dish or cast iron skillet. Let batter rest 5 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 400ºF for 20-23 minutes, until center is set and cornbread is golden in color. Serve warm with butter, honey, or jam.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are a few things you can do to make sure your Mexican style cornbread with Jiffy mix doesn’t fall apart.
First, use milk instead of water in the recipe. This will add more fat and moisture to the bread, making it more tender.
Second, don’t overmix the batter. Stir just until everything is combined – over mixing will result in a tough cornbread.
Finally, let the batter rest for at least five minutes before baking. This will give the flour time to absorb the liquid and create a more cohesive bread.
For a dairy free option, you can use water, almond milk, soy milk or even creamed corn in place of cow’s milk. You can also use non dairy yogurts like coconut yogurt or cashew yogurt. Keep in mind that these will change the flavor of the corn bread slightly.
If you want to make sure your cornbread with cheese and jalapenos doesn’t stick to the pan, then grease the pan well with butter or cooking spray.