This Bisquick dairy free cornbread comes together in a snap with just 5 simple pantry ingredients – no cornmeal or milk needed! It tastes better than Jiffy mix, and is loaded with creamed corn for moist, tender bread that the family will love.
You may already know this, but Bisquick baking mix is useful for so much more than just making yummy biscuits and pancakes.
For example, you can make fantastic desserts with it, like Bisquick apple cobbler and strawberry cobbler. It also makes an incredible topping for chicken pot pie.
Today, we are sharing a savory side dish recipe that uses Bisquick as an easy base…
Dairy Free Cornbread
More people than you may realize are lactose intolerant. In fact, milk and dairy intolerance is more common than peanut allergies.
And so, we are sharing our recipe for dairy free cornbread without milk or cornmeal. To create a super moist and tender corn bread, we include creamed corn.
Why We Love This Bisquick Cornbread Recipe
- Quick and budget-friendly.
Using baking mix is less expensive than cornmeal, especially if you use our homemade Bisquick recipe!
- Dairy free recipe, and gluten free option.
Hey, lactose intolerance is no joke! If you suffer with it, you will enjoy having this recipe handy! See our FAQ section below for instructions on making it gluten free.
- Super moist and tender.
The crumb of this cornbread is amazing – you are going to love it! It’s almost as moist as Jiffy cornbread with creamed corn.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
This easy and delicious dairy free corn bread recipe calls for 5 ingredients. You likely have most, if not all of them, in your pantry right now.
- Bisquick – The baking mix is available in almost every grocery store, or you can use homemade baking mix.
- Dairy free butter – You can find plant based butter products at most grocery stores. If you have trouble finding one, you can substitute 1/2 cup of melted Crisco, bacon grease, or coconut oil for the butter.
If you don’t have issues with dairy products, feel free to use traditional butter.
- Sugar – This is a southern-style, sweet cornbread recipe, so a sweetener is necessary. Feel free to use a cup-for-cup granulated white sugar substitute like monk fruit or erythritol, or leave out the sweetener completely.
- Canned cream style corn – Contrary to popular belief, almost all brands of creamed corn have no cream, and all are dairy free.
Tips for Making Bisquick CornBread
This super easy cornbread recipe requires only 5 ingredients, and is made in just 3 simple steps.
A couple of tips to help ensure the best results:
- Grease the pan.
Be sure to use plenty of grease or non-stick spray in your skillet or casserole dish. Otherwise, your corn bread will definitely stick!
- Combine the ingredients thoroughly.
Use a large mixing bowl, and stir long enough that all of the lumps disappear. You want a thick, smooth batter.
- Avoid over baking.
Bake your dairy free Bisquick cornbread for approximately 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
You will know it is ready to come out of the oven when a toothpick or knife inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
Serve with butter, or even with honey for a dairy free, sweet corn bread.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. Leftovers are delicious to eat as-is or warmed for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack!
Serve your dairy free cornbread as you would dinner rolls or Bisquick biscuits. We love creamed corn bread with dishes like Smothered Crock Pot Chicken, buttermilk brined pork chops, and crockpot ham with pineapple glaze.
Making Dairy Free CornBread Muffins
See the recipe card for full instructions on making corn bread muffins. You will need a 12-cup muffin pan, and the baking time will be less.
Cornbread Recipe FAQ
Cornbread (and corn muffins, for that matter) taste best when they are freshly baked. But, they can be frozen in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag for up to three months.
Thaw for 3 for 4 hours at room temperature before reheating. To reheat, wrap in aluminum foil and warm in a 350°F oven until hot. Or, you can reheat muffins in the microwave. Cover with a damp paper towel and cook at 50% power for 30 to 45 seconds. Avoid overheating or the cornbread/muffins will get tough.
Not always, but you can easily make our cornbread recipe gluten free by using Gluten-Free Bisquick. The box will have instructions on how to substitute the gluten-free version for regular Bisquick.
Bisquick Dairy Free Cornbread
- 8"- 9" casserole dish - OR
- 9" cast iron skillet
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix (see notes for DIY baking mix recipe)
- ½ cup butter, melted and cooled (1 stick)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 can (8.25 ounces) cream style corn (creamed corn)
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Lightly grease your casserole dish or cast iron skillet. Add all ingredients into a medium mixing bowl. Stir just until mixed. Pour into casserole dish or cast iron skillet.
- Bake at 350º for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
This post, originally published Dec. 2020, was updated with new content in Jan. 2023.
Leave a Reply