As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
There is nothing better than an easy Crock Pot dump-and-go dinner that’s hearty, healthy, and family-friendly. This slow cooker smothered chicken recipe combines just a few wholesome ingredients in one pot for a super simple and amazingly delicious meal that everyone will love!
Easy Slow Cooker Smothered Chicken
I love simple dinners that are tasty, versatile, and on the healthier side. And this easy chicken dump recipe is everything you want. Everything is cooked together in a slow cooker. Serve it as-is or with various sides.
Also, this creamy smothered chicken thighs recipe includes fresh kale or spinach for a pop of flavor and healthy goodness.
But, it is such a rich and delicious creamy dish that everyone – including the kids – won’t notice that they are happily eating their veggies.
a True Set it and Forget it Recipe
You can make this healthy smothered chicken recipe in a crockpot (slow cooker) as a set and forget it dinner. All you need to do is load the crock with ingredients and cook as per the recipe below!
If you’ve got a bit more time for prep, you can choose to brown the chicken beforehand. Sear the chicken for a few minutes on each side in a skillet to get a beautiful golden color.
Or, if your slow cooker offers the option to sear before slow cooking, take advantage of that!
Everyone loves a one-pot meal. Searing or browning does help to create an even more flavorful, golden topping, but it’s not necessary.
What Ingredients are in this Crock Pot Smothered Chicken Recipe
This simple and savory, comforting dish recipe calls for a handful of familiar ingredients. Here’s everything you need to make my smothered chicken crock pot dinner:
- Bone-in or boneless chicken thighs
- Yellow onion
- All purpose flour
- Lawyr’s – or your favorite seasoning
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Kale or Spinach
- Mushrooms (optional)
- Corn starch
I like to use kale in this recipe as it is the heartiest of the leafy greens. Because it stays terrifically tender through the slow cooking process and, along with the mushrooms, adds a yummy deep earthy flavor to the creamy chicken.
The mushrooms are optional, as I’m not a big fan, but my husband likes them.
How to Make Creamy Chicken and Kale
This easy slow cooker recipe only requires two main steps for juicy chicken with a creamy, luscious sauce.
The first step is to load the Crock-Pot with chicken thighs drenched in a mixture of flour and seasonings.
Then layer the chicken with the onions and kale, and add the broth.
Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 3 hours.
Remember to check the temperature of the chicken thighs with an instant-read thermometer. They should be at least 165º F.
Next, it’s time to make the smothered chicken gravy:
- Once done, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and set it on a plate.
- For the creamy chicken gravy: make a slurry in a small bowl by combining the milk and corn starch. To shorten the thickening process, microwave the mixture for 30-45 seconds.
- Stir this mixture into the crock until smooth. Then mix the chicken and gravy in crock pot.
The sauce will continue to thicken as it cooks and then cools. Then serve warm as-is or with your fave side dishes.
Leftovers will keep well for up to 3 days in the fridge. Because of the kale and cream sauce, you shouldn’t freeze this meal.
What sides go well with Crock Pot Chicken?
Making creamy smothered chicken thighs in the Crock-Pot is a staple in our house. Our favorite sides are Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, our Loaded Potato Casserole, Easy 3 Ingredient Biscuits or Drop Biscuits, and Apple or Strawberry Cobbler for dessert.
Below is the Full Crock Pot Smothered Chicken Recipe!
Frequently Asked Questions
I love to enjoy this savory, saucy dish over egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
For a low-carb or keto-friendly dinner, serve with cauliflower rice or steamed veggies.
Yes, you can. I use bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs as these are my favorite for browning first, but you can also use boneless skinless thighs or chicken breasts if you’re planning to make them as a dump-and-go dinner.
Swap all-purpose flour for your favorite gluten-free friendly alternative to easily make this a gluten-free dinner recipe. Rice flour is great for a light coating that won’t change the flavor profile.
Slow Cooker Smothered Chicken Recipe
Crock Pot Smothered Chicken
- Slow Cooker/Crock Pot
- 2 lbs chicken thighs (4-6 bone in or boneless thighs)
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Lawry's or your favorite seasoning
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 stalks kale, sliced into thin ribbons (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- Mix flour and seasoning. Dredge chicken thighs in flour mixture. Place chicken on the bottom of the slow cooker, cover with onions and mushrooms.
- Add the chicken broth and top with sliced kale. Cook for 6 hours on low, or 3 hours on high.
- The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165º. (Boneless chicken thighs may be fully cooked in as early as 2 hours on a high setting). Remove the chicken to a plate.
- In a small bowl, stir milk and corn starch together until smooth. To speed up the thickening process, microwave mixture for 30 to 45 seconds before adding to slow cooker.
- Add cream mixture to the crock pot, stir until well mixed and smooth. Return chicken to slow cooker and dip in the sauce. Spoon the kale and creamy sauce over chicken when serving.