As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
This sourdough French toast recipe is a great way to turn sourdough bread into a delicious breakfast that’s both easy and satisfying. Plus, it’s ideal to use day-old (or stale) sourdough bread!
This sourdough French toast recipe is a fun twist on a classic breakfast made with sourdough bread, spices, milk, and eggs. It’s delicious and served with fresh fruit, warm syrup, and creamy butter.
My Favorite Easy Breakfast Recipe
French toast is my absolute favorite breakfast, especially on the weekend. There’s something so good about cutting into that eggy, soft toast with melted butter and maple syrup running down the sides.
This easy recipe is the perfect way to use that day-old sourdough bread or bread that’s beginning to go dry.
You know how homemade sourdough can dry out (or go stale) faster than store-bought bread. It’s because there are no preservatives to make the bread last longer in homemade bread.
Can you believe I’ve been known to lay the bread out on a baking sheet overnight just to let it dry? That’s because dry or stale sourdough bread is ideal for making french toast.
Sourdough bread french toast is a tasty addition to your morning breakfast rotation. Not only can you make it in a breeze, but the kids will love it!
No sourdough bread? Make this make-ahead overnight french toast casserole instead. Or some easy pancakes (we even have banana pancakes, pumpkin pancakes, and sourdough!) on the stove or the flat top griddle.
Can you make French Toast with Sourdough Bread?
You might be wondering, is sourdough bread good for French toast? The answer is yes! French toast recipes are often made with brioche, thick white bread, or challah. It’s also amazing with our sourdough French bread or sourdough sandwich bread! You can make these with our linked recipes or buy bread from the store.
Using sourdough for French toast makes the bread light, airy, and slightly tangy. That flavor and texture pair perfectly with the spices, vanilla extract, and sweet toppings.
Ingredients for French Toast
- Sourdough French bread
- Sugar (white or brown)
- Vanilla extract
- Butter for the skillet
- Sourdough French bread is the best bread for french toast because the wonderful texture of the bread is thick enough that it holds up well to cooking this way. You can also use sourdough sandwich bread.
- It’s best to allow it to dry out a little so that the inside gets cooked through the bread. If it’s too moist, you’ll have soggy french toast.
- Some melted butter is used for cooking the bread in the pan, giving it a rich flavor and beautiful brown color.
Equipment used for French Toast with Sourdough
- Electric griddle, griddle, or large skillet
- Bowl (for mixing)
- Pie plate or dipping tray (for dipping the french toast)
- Pancake turner
How to Make French Toast with Sourdough Bread
Preheat the electric griddle to 350ºF (if using). Then, combine cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
Melt butter in the griddle or a 12″ cast iron skillet over medium heat.
Dip 1 1/2 inch thick slices of sourdough bread in egg mixture, then add to griddle or skillet. Avoid crowding.
Cook french toast slices until golden brown, then flip to cook the other side.
See tips below to keep them warm until serving. Drizzle with butter and warmed maple syrup or your favorite toppings and serve.
French Toast tips: Set your oven to 175ºF. Put an oven-safe plate, casserole, or baking dish in the oven to preheat. Add your cooked French toast to the oven as soon as it’s done, and keep it in there until you’re ready to serve it.
I cover it with damp paper towels or a clean tea towel to keep the sourdough French toast from drying out.
How to Serve this French Toast Recipe
Serve this French toast recipe with your favorite toppings. I love using fresh berries, powdered sugar, and maple syrup. You can also use honey, caramel sauce, or chocolate syrup or chips.
If you want to get fancy, try serving it with a dollop of whipped cream or even a scoop of ice cream!
How to Store the French Toast
Sourdough French toast is best served fresh and warm, but if you have leftovers, you can store them in the fridge for up to 2 days. Simply place the cooled toast on a plate or baking dish and cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
To reheat, toast in a 350°F oven until warm, about 10 minutes.
Can I freeze this Sourdough French Toast?
Yes! Place the toast in a freezer bag or air-tight container for up to 2 months. When ready to enjoy it again, simply thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and reheat it in the oven or microwave.
Variations of Sourdough Bread French Toast
This sourdough french toast recipe is sweet and golden brown and tastes delicious with almost anything. There are so many options to vary your french toast. Here are some ideas:
- Use maple extract instead of vanilla extract and skip the maple syrup
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top for a taste of sweetness
- Top it with fresh fruit like sliced bananas or strawberries or whole blueberries or raspberries
- Try spreading chocolate hazelnut spread, peanut butter, or almond butter on top
- Layer strawberry jam, apple butter, or orange marmalade
- Sprinkle chocolate chips, coconut flakes, cinnamon sugar, or chia seeds over the topping
- Use heavy cream to make a homemade whipped cream
Get more sourdough recipes
Easy French Toast Recipe made with Sourdough Bread
Sourdough French Toast
- electric griddle, griddle, or large skillet
- bowl (for mixing)
- pie plate or dipping tray (for dipping the french toast)
- pancake turner
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk, 2% or whole
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices sourdough bread (slightly dry)
- Preheat electric griddle to 350ºF (if using). In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar and set aside.
- Melt butter in the griddle or a 12+" skillet over medium heat. Whisk together the cinnamon mixture, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Pour the mixture into a shallow container such as a pie plate or dipping tray.
- Dip each side of the sourdough bread in egg mixture, then place it on the griddle or skillet without crowding. Cook french toast slices until golden brown, then flip to cook the other side.
- See tips below to keep them warm until serving. Top with butter and drizzle with warmed maple syrup before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
French toast is great with thick bread that can stand up to getting soaked in an egg mixture and then fried in a pan. Sourdough French bread is a great option!
This depends on how you plan to cook the french toast. If you’ll be frying in a pan, quickly dredge each side of the bread in the mixture. The quick cooking time means you don’t want the middle to be soggy or it won’t cook through.
If you are cooking french toast casserole in the oven, you can soak the bread through.
This is a great way to get the bread nice and dry to make french toast the next day. This ensures it gets cooked all the way through.
Milk adds a wonderful sweet flavor to french toast and lends a little to the golden brown color.