Strawberry French Toast is an unbelievably scrumptious sweet breakfast treat. French toast with fresh strawberries is one of our favorite brunch ideas for Valentine’s Day or a weekend breakfast!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
Serve this sweet and special breakfast to your loved one on Valentine’s Day. This scrumptious dish is easy to prepare and will definitely wow your partner.
The tasty combination of French toast and syrup made from fresh strawberries is truly heavenly. Serve it in bed for a cozy start to the day!
Why We Love Strawberry French Toast
French toasts are a classic and beloved breakfast item, but when you add fresh strawberries to the mix, it takes your brunch game up to the next level! Here are the reasons why we love this sweet French toast recipe:
- It’s a special treat for Valentine’s Day, or any other holiday.
- It’s easy to make ahead.
French toast is a simple recipe to make ahead and freeze. The slices are easy to reheat, so, it can be a delicious start to busy morning or a weekend brunch!
- It looks beautiful.
The colors of the strawberries on top of the golden-brown French toast make this breakfast dish look stunning and inviting. That’s why it’s perfect for special occasions like Valentine’s Day.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Bread – In this recipe, we’re making French bread French toast But, almost any hearty bread will work for this Valentine’s Day breakfast treat.
For the best results, use thick slices of French bread, sourdough, Texas Toast, wheat bread, or Challah.
- Strawberries – If you can afford fresh ones, they make for a nicer presentation, but frozen berries will work in a pinch.
- Milk – 2% milk is our preference. For a richer flavor, use whole milk. Dairy free milk alternatives work with this recipe as well.
- Sugar – we use white sugar for this strawberry French toast recipe, but natural sweeteners like coconut sugar and cup-for-cup alternative sweeteners work well.
How to Choose Fresh Strawberries
According to California Strawberries, here are a few tips on how to select fresh strawberries:
- Choose firm berries that have a bright red color.
- Avoid using strawberries that are mushy or have visible mold or black spots.
- The freshest ones have bright green caps and green stems that are still intact.
Kitchen Tools For Our Sweet French Toast Recipe
- Electric griddle or stovetop griddle or large frying pan
- Mixing bowl
- Pie plate or dipping tray (for dipping the bread into batter)
- Pancake turner
Do you love sweet breakfast recipes?
Try our recipes for Sourdough Banana Bread and Easy Cinnamon Rolls!
If a savory breakfast is more your speed, we think you’ll love Pumpkin Baked Oats and Instant Pot Breakfast Potatoes.
Recipe Tips for Making Strawberry French Toast
- Use really good quality bread.
Using thick slices of bread is key to making great French Toast. If the slices are too thin or not sturdy enough, they can soak up too much batter and become soggy.
- Dip the bread slices one at a time, for about 5 seconds per side. This ensures that the French toast has just the right amount of egg mixture.
- Make sure the toasts are golden brown.
To ensure that you get the perfect golden-brown color and crunchy texture around the edges, be sure to cook the French toast until it is nicely golden on one side before flipping it to the other side.
- Serve it while it’s warm.
Strawberry French toast tastes the best when it’s still warm, so be sure to serve it right away!
Tips for making Strawberry Syrup
- Use the ripest strawberries you can find.
This will give you the most flavorful fruit topping, and the syrup will taste better too!
- Adjust the sweetness to suit your taste.
If you prefer your French toast sweet, use an extra teaspoon of sugar, or serve it with a bit of extra syrup or fresh fruit.
For a more savory French toast, feel free to use less sugar, or leave it out altogether.
This sweet French toast recipe makes a decadent and delicious breakfast that can be served with many sides. Some of our favorite pairings include:
- Fresh fruit or fruit salad
- Hash Brown egg cups
- Breakfast sausage, regular bacon or turkey bacon
- A dollop of whipped cream or yogurt
- Freshly brewed coffee or tea
Set your oven to 175ºF. and place an oven-safe plate, casserole dish, or baking sheet in the oven.
As soon as each slice of French toast is cooked, transfer it to the oven until you are ready to serve. Covering the plate with a barely damp tea towel will help to prevent the slices from drying out too much.
Yes, you can freeze French toast! It’s a fantastic make ahead breakfast idea!
First, allow the slices to cool completely, then arrange them in a single layer on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
Place them in the freezer for about 2 hours, or until each slice of French toast is frozen. Then, transfer the slices from the baking sheet to a freezer bag or airtight container for freezing up to 2 months.
Reheating Strawberry French Toast
To reheat frozen slices, let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating. Place them on a sheet pan in a toaster oven or regular oven at 375ºF until the slices are warm through the center.
Strawberry French Toast
- electric griddle, griddle, or large skillet
- mixing bowl
- pie plate or dipping tray (for dipping the french toast)
- pancake turner
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter for griddle
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices French bread (slightly dry) or Texas Toast
- 1/2 cup whipped cream optional
- Preheat electric griddle to 350ºF (if using), or heat a stovetop griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- To a small saucepan over medium heat, add the sugar and water, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil on medium heat, stirring frequently (3-5 minutes). Add sliced strawberries to the pan and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Meanwhile, start preparing the French toast.
- In a shallow container like a pie plate or dipping tray, whisk to combine the sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Melt butter in the preheated electric skillet or pan over medium heat.
- Dip each side of the bread in the egg mixture (I let it sit for 15 seconds or so) then place it on the preheated griddle or skillet without crowding. Cook French toast slices until one side is golden brown, then flip to cook the other side. See Notes below to keep French toast warm until serving.
- Just before serving, drizzle slices with strawberry syrup and whipped topping (if using).