If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
This sweet and comforting apple fritter casserole is a delicious morning treat to enjoy for breakfast or brunch. It tastes just like a yummy apple fritter without the deep frying, and is perfect to enjoy with the family for special occasions, like Christmas morning. I guarantee everyone will love this breakfast casserole bake – especially the kids! – and you’ll love how easy it is to prepare as a make-ahead overnight dish.Jump to Recipe
Easy Overnight Breakfast Ideas
I am a big fan of hearty, shareable breakfasts. Especially on weekends and holidays, when the family can really relax and enjoy quality time together around a hot morning meal.
The only problem? Someone has to actually make breakfast. And although I love to cook, I also want some leisurely time in the mornings. So, there’s no better solution than a delicious make-ahead overnight breakfast casserole.
A great make-ahead dish should be, well, simple to make: Just prep the night before, stick in the fridge while you sleep, and easily bake to perfection in the morning, completely hassle-free.
That’s why I love using Bridgford Food’s Ready-Dough and Parkerhouse Style Rolls. I keep them on hand in my freezer so they are always at the ready (pun intended!). I have discovered so many uses for frozen bread dough.
Bridgford handles all of the prep work for you, with high-quality non-GMO ingredients like real cane sugar, so it is easy to serve up freshly baked goods any time.
Bridgford Apple Fritter Breakfast Casserole
This apple fritter breakfast casserole recipe is another wonderfully sweet and comforting make ahead overnight breakfast for you to try. It has a similar consistency to an apple coffee cake, minus the crumble, but with lots of brown sugar and rich cinnamon goodness.
And, like my two other delicious breakfast and brunch recipes above, this dish is made incredibly easy by using Bridgford Ready-Dough. Everyone can use more overnight breakfast ideas for those lazy weekend mornings.
There are more recipe ideas for frozen bread dough below
5 Ingredients You Need to Make this Apple Fritter Casserole Recipe
Thanks to using thawed ready-made dough, there are only 5 ingredients included in this apple fritter bake recipe.
- Bridgford Ready-Dough
- Brown sugar
What is the Best Apple to Use for Baking?
For this recipe I used Honey Crisp apples because I love how they hold their crunch and texture when baked. But here’s a great resource for deciding which apple variety you want to use.
How to Easily Thaw Frozen Dough
Read my handy tips below for thawing Bridgford Ready-Dough before getting started on this apple fritter casserole recipe.
You have two easy options for how to thaw frozen bread dough:
- The first option is to defrost the frozen dough in the fridge overnight. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick oil or cover it with parchment paper. Place the frozen dough on the sheet, and cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed as well with oil (oil side down). Allow the dough to thaw in the fridge overnight, approximately 8-10 hours.
- Another easy option is to just defrost the frozen dough at room temperature. Prepare a baking sheet and plastic wrap like the first option, but simply leave the dough to defrost on the counter for about 2-3 hours.
How to Make Apple Fritter Breakfast Casserole
Not only does this easy overnight breakfast casserole only require 5 ingredients, it can be made in just a few simple steps.
You can choose to prepare the apple fritter casserole the night before or make fresh in the morning. Either way this sweet and gooey breakfast casserole will be scrumptious to serve with coffee or big glasses of milk.
Firstly, for this recipe you will need to defrost the Bridgford Ready-Dough using one of the two methods mentioned above. Then, here’s how to make and bake the apple fritter breakfast casserole:
- Chop the thawed bread dough into roughly 40 equal pieces, and toss in a bowl with melted butter. Then, transfer the dough pieces to a greased casserole dish.
- Core and dice the apples – your choice whether or not to peel! – and add them to the same bowl which you used to butter the pieces of chopped dough. Toss the apple chunks with brown sugar and cinnamon, and then stir the apples into the casserole dish to combine with the dough pieces.
- You can either cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge to sit overnight, or bake immediately in 350 degree F preheated oven.
- When ready to enjoy, bake in the oven for 40 minutes until bubbly.
- Allow the breakfast casserole to cool for several minutes before serving.
Leftovers will keep well for up to 4 days in the fridge if kept covered with plastic wrap or in a sealed container.
Get the Easy Overnight Apple Fritter Bake Recipe:
Apple Fritter Breakfast Casserole
- 8" – 10" Casserole dish
- 1 loaf Bridgford Ready-Dough, thawed
- 5 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Let the Ready Dough defrost on the countertop in a greased casserole dish covered with plastic wrap for 2-3 hours. Cut thawed dough loaf into 40 small pieces.
- Place dough into a medium bowl and stir in the melted butter, coating the dough evenly. Spread dough pieces in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Using same bowl, add the diced apple and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir them into the dough pieces in the casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350º F, if baking immediately.
- As a make ahead dish, cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Otherwise, skip to step 4.
- The next morning, pull the casserole dish out of the fridge. Let it sit at room temperature while the oven preheats to 350º.
- Bake casserole for 40 minutes, until casserole is golden and bubbly. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Get More Recipes Made with Bridgford Ready-Dough:
You’ll discover so many uses for frozen bread dough like I have.
This post was sponsored by Bridgford Foods. All views are my own and based on my own personal experience using Bridgford’s products.
Get more easy baking apple recipes!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.