This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
When it comes to salads, I just love getting creative. I mean, who wants to settle for the same Chicken Cobb salad everyone else makes? Classics are great, but if you are ready for a truly spectacular salad then you’ve got to try this dairy-free and gluten-free Chicken Cobb recipe with Green Goddess dressing. Loaded with mixed greens, corn, avocado and bacon, it will definitely become your new go-to summer salad!Jump to Recipe
Why is This the Best Chicken Cobb Salad?
Spring and summer are my favorite seasons for salads. The days are getting warmer and longer. We begin to crave lighter types of dishes like salads, but still want satisfying meals at the end of those wonderfully long days.
With the lean protein of chicken, healthy fats from avocado, and vitamin-packed kale, this dairy-free Chicken Cobb is light, healthy, and filling!
Here’s why you’ll love this fresh take on a classic Cobb Salad recipe:
- It has an amazing homemade Green Goddess Dressing recipe that is gluten-free, soy-free, and dairy-free.
- There is a fantastic mix of greens that include kale and romaine lettuce to give the Cobb salad that extra crunch factor and healthy goodness.
- It is full of creamy chunks of fresh avocado.
- Every forkful is loaded with colorful, vitamin-filled veggies.
- Thanks to bacon, you get perfectly crispy and crunchy bits of excellent texture with just a hint of saltiness in every bite.
What Ingredients You Need for This Recipe
This is a super easy salad recipe for prepping lots of ingredients in advance. Add some extra chicken breasts and bacon strips to your weekly meal plan prep, and then you’ll be able to put together this salad in no time when you’re ready to enjoy.
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Chicken Cobb Salad Ingredients:
I love using a mixture of greens for texture. In this salad I use kale and romaine, which gives this Cobb salad its trademark crispness and earthy flavor.
- Lacinato kale (also called dinosaur kale)
- Romaine lettuce
- fresh or frozen corn
- cooked chicken
To make this Chicken Cobb really easy, you can certainly use a rotisserie chicken. But, I’ll tell you how to make easy, juicy cooked chicken breasts below.
Dairy-Free Green Goddess Dressing Ingredients:
- fresh parsley
- dried tarragon
- fresh chives
- lemon juice
- coconut cream or Greek yogurt if you’re not trying to keep strictly dairy-free
How to Cook Tender Chicken Breasts
Pro Tip: I like to prepare a whole batch of chicken breasts at once, as part of my weekly meal prep routine. By baking several chicken breasts together, you’ll have the makings for a few meals like Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Dumplings, or Chicken Pot Pie.
Here are the simple steps for making perfect chicken breasts in the oven:
- Preheat your oven to 375º. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the chicken breasts to the sheet, and brush with olive oil. Then, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes. Check the internal temperature of the chicken after 30 minutes. The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165º.
- Once the chicken is cooled, shred into bite sized pieces.
Another option is to cook the chicken breasts in an Instant Pot. You can learn how with one of these posts: Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde. or Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Just substitute a cup of chicken broth for the salsa and follow the directions in the recipe.
How to Assemble the Perfect Chicken Cobb Salad
Be sure to strip the leafy kale from the stems and slice the greens into ribbons. Tear the romaine leaves into bite sized pieces.
I recommend that you use a shallow salad bowl for the best presentation. First, place the greens in the bowl and gently toss with a bit of the salad dressing. Push the lettuce towards the sides to leave space for the chicken in the middle.
Then add in the shredded or cubed chicken to the center, leaving the greens showing along the sides. Place the avocado cubes among the pieces of chicken.
Next, add the corn on one side of the chicken and avocado. On the other side, add the bacon bits. Lastly, drizzle the Green Goddess Dressing over the salad.
Doesn’t this Chicken Cobb Salad look stunning? And amazingly, it tastes even better! I hope you give this recipe a try soon.
Get the Recipe Here:
Chicken Cobb Salad with Green Goddess Dressing
- 3 cups Lacinato kale, stems removed and ribboned (one bunch)
- 2 cups Romaine lettuce, chopped or torn
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup fresh corn or frozen corn, dethawed
- 3 cups chicken breast, cubed or shredded *see notes for chicken prep*
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and sliced or crumbled
Green Goddess Dressing
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (or 2 Tbsp dried parsley)
- 2 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives (1 tsp dried)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (approx 1/2 large lemon)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use avocado oil mayonnaise)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (can substitute sour cream or Greek yogurt)
- Toss the kale and romaine with 1/3 cup of the dressing, until lightly coated. Add to salad bowl, pressing the greens towards the sides of the bowl.
- Add chicken to the center of the bowl. Spread out the avocado cubes on top. Put the corn on one side of the salad. Add the bacon to the other side.
- Prepare the dressing. Add dressing ingredients to a blender and mix until smooth. Drizzle the dressing over the salad