As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
This restaurant-style Hibachi Fried Rice recipe can be cooked using your Blackstone griddle. It is easy, full of flavor, and can be on your dinner table in less than 30 minutes!
Have you tried fried rice on Blackstone? Use your griddle to make tasty fried rice right at home! This hibachi fried rice recipe is a fraction of the cost of restaurant teppanyaki with the delicious flavors you crave. Blackstone fried rice is quick and easy to prepare for a busy weeknight dinner. Simply fry and cold, cooked rice with veggies and bacon on the flat top grill, scramble in eggs, then season and enjoy!
Fried Rice on Blackstone
My daughter’s been using her Blackstone flat top grill for years now, with great success. In fact, she convinced us we needed to get one of our own.
It’s a fast, homemade alternative to our favorite hibachi restaurant dish. I fell in love with how super easy and economical it is to prepare. And, I’m sure your family will, too!
This fried rice recipe can be made on any type of hibachi flat grill, like a Blackstone or Camp Chef. If you’ve been on the fence about whether or not to purchase a Blackstone grill, you absolutely should!!
Unlike other countertop griddles, Blackstone and Camp Chef provide a nice wide cooking surface. So, everything from proteins to veggies can be cooked on one grill.
That means cleanup is minimal and the cooked fried rice is ready to enjoy in about 30 minutes!
Serve this Japanese fried rice inspired recipe as a complete one-dish meal by itself because it’s as good as a Japanese steakhouse one. Or, enjoy it as a side dish.
Just be sure to make plenty because everyone will likely ask for seconds, and leftovers are terrific for weekday lunch.
ingredients to Make Fried Rice on a Griddle
- Bacon – chopped and sauteed it gives the hibachi rice recipe that teppanyaki taste
- Vegetables – diced and chopped. Use almost any veggies, but our favorites are bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, and squash
- Garlic powder – to bring together the savory flavors
- Sesame seed oil – or other high-heat oil like avocado oil
- White rice – we like to use cold, pre-cooked rice, see “Tips” below
- Soy sauce – or coconut aminos for amazing flavor and a taste boost
- Eggs – for a protein boost and a pop of color
Note: We use a combination of broccoli, yellow squash, zucchini, slivered carrots, sliced mushrooms, and snap peas. Feel free to include whatever fresh seasonal produce you like!
You can also use frozen veggies – no need to thaw or pre-cook frozen vegetables first! Watch the cooking time and add a few minutes of cooking time, if needed.
Tools Needed to Make Hibachi Rice on a Griddle
- A large flat top grill or griddle(like Blackstone, Chef Camp, Royal Gourmet, Cuisinart, Pit Boss) – to cook the rice
- Large, metal griddle spatula to turn the bacon, rice, and vegetables
- A flat griddle scraper – used for moving food, and cleaning or clearing the griddle
Recommended optional tools:
- Plastic squeeze bottle – oh so useful for adding cooking oil to griddle
- Infrared thermometer – to check the temp of your grill and griddle
- Instant read probe thermometer – to check the temp of your food
Cold, refrigerated rice makes for more flavorful fried rice! Cooling rice after cooking allows the rice grains to dry a little, giving more texture to absorb oil and flavoring.
So, I suggest preparing a batch of cooked rice a day or two ahead. Then, you’ll have pre-cooked, cold rice ready to make fried rice on a Blackstone griddle.
In fact, if you frequently use rice in cooking, make 2-3 batches at a time.
Freeze or refrigerate the extra pre-cooked rice as an easy time-saving strategy. Then, it’s always at the ready to use in any recipe with rice!
How to Make Hibachi Fried Rice
Tender and fluffy white rice is quickly fried on the griddle with savory chopped bacon. Add your choice of meat, like diced chicken for chicken fried rice.
Mix the rice and bacon with seasonal veggies and a few key seasonings. Then, the eggs are scrambled right on the same grill, and dinner’s ready!
Here is how easy it is to make:
Preheat the griddle to high heat. Chop the bacon into bite-size pieces while the griddle is heating up. Turn the griddle to medium heat, then cook the bacon.
Add vegetables and onion to the bacon and season with garlic powder adding sesame oil.
Cook any protein, like shrimp, scallops, steak, chicken, or pork on one side of the griddle (or on a grill). Then, the vegetables and bacon can cook on the other side.
Create a well in the middle and melt the butter, then, stir fry the rice and vegetables together. Add coconut aminos or soy sauce until rice is lightly colored or to your taste.
Break eggs onto an open area of the Blackstone griddle and stir to scramble. Then stir them in with the rice and vegetables. Salt and pepper to taste then serve right away. Or you can also serve it with yum yum sauce!
Frequently Asked Questions
Just about any hearty produce is great! Zucchini, squash, mushrooms, carrots, snap peas, and broccoli are some of our favorites.
But feel free to get creative with other ingredients like corn kernels, diced bell peppers, green beans, and more! You should avoid leafy veggies like lettuces, though.
Yes, you can! There’s no need to thaw or pre-cook frozen veggies before using them.
Use gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos that are gluten-free to instantly make this a GF-friendly recipe.
Feel free to omit the bacon and instead use a bit more oil to fry the veggies. Instead of meat proteins, you can use tofu cubes or just load up with more vegetables!
Leftover hibachi fried rice will keep well for up to 4 days. Seal in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
The Best Blackstone Fried Rice Recipe
Blackstone Fried Rice
- flat top griddle (like a Blackstone or Chef Camp)
- Large, metal griddle spatula
- Flat griddle scraper
- Infrared thermometer (optional, but useful for checking the temperature of griddle)
- 8 ounces (1/2 pound) bacon (or more)
- 3 cups diced vegetables (use a variety of broccoli, squash, zucchini, slivered carrots, sliced mushrooms, snap peas, or seasonal produce)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups white rice, pre cooked and cold*
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or Coconut aminos
- 3 eggs
- Preheat the griddle to high heat. Cut bacon into bite-size pieces. Turn the flat top grill to medium heat, and add bacon. Cook until bacon is about halfway done (about 5 minutes).
- Add vegetables and onion to the bacon on the griddle. Season with garlic powder. Add sesame oil, and continue cooking until both vegetables and bacon are finished (5-7 minutes).
- Cook any protein, like shrimp, scallops, steak, chicken, or pork on one side of the griddle (or on a grill). Then, the vegetables and bacon can finish cooking on the other side.
- Create a well in the middle of the bacon and vegetables, and let the butter melt. Once melted add the rice, breaking it up in the butter. Stir rice and vegetables together, and add coconut aminos or soy sauce until rice is lightly colored or to your taste.
- Break eggs onto an open area of the Blackstone griddle and stir to scramble. Use a flat spatula to cut the eggs into bite-sized pieces and stir them in with the rice.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.