If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
There is nothing better than an easy Crock Pot dump-and-go dinner that’s hearty, healthy, and family-friendly. This slow cooker smothered chicken recipe combines just a few wholesome ingredients in one pot for a super simple and amazingly delicious meal that everyone will love! Pair it with hearty green like kale or spinach for a healthy comfort meal. Creamy chicken thighs with a rich sauce that is savory, full of flavor – and perfect to serve on its own or enjoy over noodles or potatoes.
Easy Slow Cooker Smothered Chicken
I love simple dinners that are tasty, versatile, and on the healthier side. This easy chicken recipe is everything you want to be cooked together in a slow cooker and can be served as-is or with a variety of sides.
This creamy smothered chicken thighs recipe includes fresh kale or spinach for a pop of flavor and healthy goodness.
But, it is such a rich and delicious creamy dish that everyone – including the kids – will not even notice the fact that they are happily eating their veggies.
a True Set it and Forget it Recipe
Use your classic slow cooker to make smothered chicken as a dump and go or set and forget it dinner. All you need to do is load the crock with ingredients and cook per the recipe below!
If you’ve got a bit more time for prep, you can choose to brown the chicken beforehand. Sear the chicken for a few minutes on each side in a skillet to get a beautiful golden color.
Or, if your slow cooker offers the option to sear before slow cooking, take advantage of that! Everyone loves a one-pot meal. Searing or browning does helo to create an even more flavorful, golden topping but it’s not necessary.
What Ingredients are in this Crock Pot Smothered Chicken Recipe
This simple and savory, comforting dish recipe calls for a handful of familiar ingredients. Here’s everything you need to make my Crock Pot smothered chicken dinner:
- Bone-in or boneless chicken thighs
- Yellow onion
- All purpose flour
- Lawyr’s – or your favorite seasoning
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Kale or Spinach
- Mushrooms (optional)
- Corn starch
I like to use kale in this recipe as it is the heartiest of the leafy greens. It stays terrifically tender through the slow cooking process, and along with the mushrooms adds a yummy deep earthy flavor to the creamy chicken.
The mushrooms are completely optional, as I’m personally not a big fan but my husband really likes them.
How to Make Creamy Chicken and Kale
This easy slow cooker recipe only requires two main steps to make juicy chicken and a creamy, luscious sauce with barely any effort.
The first step is to load the Crock-Pot with chicken thighs drenched in a mixture of flour and seasonings. Layer the chicken with the onions and kale, and add the broth.
Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 3 hours.
Remember to the internal temperature of the chicken thighs with an instant-read thermometer to ensure they are 165º F.
Next, it’s time to make the smothered chicken gravy:
- Once done, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and set on a plate.
- Make a slurry in a small bowl by combining the milk and corn starch. To shorten the thickening process, microwave the mixture for 30-45 seconds.
- Stir this mixture into the crock until smooth. Then return the chicken to the slow cooker and coat in the gravy.
The sauce will continue to thicken as it cooks and then cools. Serve warm as-is, or with your favorite side dishes.
Leftovers will keep well for up to 3 days in the fridge. Because of the kale and cream sauce, I don’t recommend that you freeze this meal.
What sides go well with Crock Pot Chicken?
Making creamy smothered chicken thighs in the Crock-Pot is a staple in our house, so it is easy to share a variety of sides to serve it with:
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Loaded Potato Casserole
- Easy 3 Ingredient Biscuits or Drop Biscuits
- Apple or Strawberry Cobbler
Below is the Full Crock Pot Smothered Chicken Recipe!
Frequently Asked Questions
I love to enjoy this savory, saucy dish over egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
For a low-carb or keto-friendly dinner, serve with cauliflower rice or steamed veggies.
Yes, you can. I use bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs as these are my favorite for browning first, but you can also use boneless skinless thighs or breasts if you’re planning to make them as a dump and go dinner.
Swap all-purpose flour for your favorite gluten-free friendly alternative to easily make this a gluten-free dinner recipe. Rice flour is great for a light coating that won’t change the flavor profile.
Slow Cooker Smothered Chicken Recipe
Crock Pot Smothered Chicken
- Slow Cooker/Crock Pot
- 2 lbs chicken thighs (4-6 bone in or boneless thighs)
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Lawry's or your favorite seasoning
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 stalks kale, sliced into thin ribbons (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- Mix flour and seasoning. Dredge chicken thighs in flour mixture. Place chicken on the bottom of the slow cooker, cover with onions and mushrooms.
- Add the chicken broth and top with sliced kale. Cook for 6 hours on low, or 3 hours on high.
- The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165º. (Boneless chicken thighs may be fully cooked in as early as 2 hours on a high setting). Remove the chicken to a plate.
- In a small bowl, stir milk and corn starch together until smooth. To speed up the thickening process, microwave mixture for 30 to 45 seconds before adding to slow cooker.
- Add cream mixture to the crock pot, stir until well mixed and smooth. Return chicken to slow cooker and dip in the sauce. Spoon the kale and creamy sauce over chicken when serving.