This family favorite turkey tater tot casserole is loaded with protein, potatoes, and veggies, all baked in one dish or skillet for an easy weeknight casserole. It’s also a fantastic way to use up leftover turkey meat from Thanksgiving!
Looking for an easy one-pan meal the whole family will love? Try this turkey casserole! This delicious dish is the perfect comfort food for families on the go. And it’s sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
Content Covered Here
Why We Love Turkey Tater Tot Casserole
Easy one-pan meal
Skillet meals are one of the best ways to cut back on dishes. It’s especially nice if the skillet is also an oven safe pan, like cast iron.
It’s an easy way to add some extra veggies into your family’s diet.
Ground turkey meat and crispy tater tots are covered in melted shredded cheese. No one will even notice those sauteed veggies.
Everything comes together for a dish that’s full of protein and nutrients. You can feel good about serving this comfort dish to your family.
Time saving, 30 minute meal.
Simply cook your ground turkey and veggies, then layer them with tater tots and cheese. Then bake until the tater tots are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Love tater tots and turkey?
Be sure to check out our other recipes with tater tots, like this green bean casserole, or one of our game day food favorites, loaded tater tots (aka tachos).
If your craving is for the meat moreso than the potatoes, we’ve got you covered! Consider making an oven roasted turkey tenderloin or the comfort food of champions, slow cooker turkey tetrazzini!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Ground turkey
- Tater tots
- Green beans – frozen or fresh
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, minced or pressed
- Cream of mushroom soup – *see notes for soup variations
- Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
TFN Pro Tip:
Use up your leftover turkey meat from the holidays by substituting 3 cups of shredded or chopped turkey meat for the ground turkey!
How To Make Tater Tot Turkey Casserole
Prepare. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
Cook the ground turkey. Brown ground turkey in a 10-12″ skillet over medium heat.
Add green beans, chopped onion, and garlic to the skillet. Cook until the onions are translucent. Drain any fat from the pan.
Mix in the vegetables. Stir in the cream of mushroom soup and mix it into the turkey and vegetable mixture. If your skillet is oven-safe, you can continue on to the next step. But if it’s not, you can add the mixture to a round or oblong casserole dish.
Layer the tater tot and cheese. Sprinkle half of the grated cheese over the top of the dish. Then add a layer of frozen tater tots. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
Baking the tater tot casserole. Bake uncovered dish at 375º for 30 minutes until the cheese and tater tot topping is golden brown, and the edges of the casserole are bubbly.
Ready to Serve. Let cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
To serve, garnish with sour cream, sliced green onion, or parsley. There are some veggies baked in already, but if your family loves them, you can serve extra vegetables with the turkey tater tot casserole. Carrots, peas, and corn are delicious options.
How to Store Your Turkey Tater Tot Casserole
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to four days. To reheat, bake in a 350ºF. oven until warmed through. You can also reheat this dish in the microwave, covered, on 50% power for three to four minutes stirring once halfway through.
Make Ahead Instructions
Save some time by assembling everything a few days ahead of time! Just follow steps 1-3 in the instructions, then cover and refrigerate the casserole for up to 3 days.
When ready to bake, let the casserole sit at room temperature while you preheat the oven. Then proceed with step four and bake as directed.
You can also freeze this ground turkey casserole. Let it cool completely, then transfer to an airtight freezer-safe container or bag and freeze for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator then bake as directed above.
Turkey Tater Tot Casserole
- 10-inch cast iron skillet - or other oven safe pan
- 1 pound ground turkey or turkey sausage (can substitute 3 cups of shredded, cooked turkey meat)
- 12 ounces (about 3 cups) frozen or fresh green beans chopped into 1" pieces
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 can (10 oz.) cream of mushroom soup (see notes for soup variations)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated or shredded, divided
- 16 ounces frozen tater tots (smaller sized bag or 1/2 of a larger bag)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Brown ground turkey in a 10-11" skillet over medium heat. Drain fat from the pan. Add green beans, chopped onion, and garlic to skillet and saute until onions turn translucent.
- Stir in cream of mushroom soup and mix into the turkey and vegetable mixture. If your skillet is oven-safe, continue on to the next step. Otherwise, add the mixture to a round or oblong casserole dish.
- Sprinkle half the grated cheese evenly across the top. Then top the casserole with a layer of tater tots and the rest of the cheese.
- Bake at 375º uncovered for 33-35 minutes until the cheese, and tater tot topping is golden brown and the edges of the casserole are bubbly.
- Let cool at least 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with sour cream, sliced green onion, or parsley.