This sheet pan chicken and asparagus bake dish is the perfect and easy way to get a healthy dinner on the table. Packed with protein and veggies, this dish is simple to make and baked all in one pan!
If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious dinner idea, then this baked chicken and asparagus dish! It is made on one sheet pan, so it is easy to prepare and clean up. Plus, it is loaded with flavor.
You will love how tender the chicken turns out, and the asparagus adds a nice crunch. Serve this dish with some rice or quinoa for a complete meal.
Easy and Healthy One Pan Chicken Meal
This tender and juicy chicken and asparagus bake recipe is a healthy dish packed with protein and vegetables that the whole family will love.
You’ll appreciate how simple it is to make and how delicious it turns out. Plus, it’s packed with lean, healthy protein and veggies, making it a well-rounded meal.
One of the things I love most about this sheet pan meal is that it is so versatile. You can easily swap out the chicken for another meat like fish or the asparagus for another vegetable.
The best thing about this sheet pan chicken recipe is it has almost no prep work and one pan to clean!
This baked chicken with asparagus is perfect for a busy weeknight meal or meal prep for the week. Double (or triple) the recipe and bake it on a Sunday. Then, enjoy it throughout the week.
Use the baked chicken in our green goddess cobb salad for lunch, then again for creamy chicken enchiladas.
If you love easy chicken recipes, check out our Sheet Pan Chicken Drumsticks, Cast Iron Skillet Chicken, and Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs with Veggies.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Chicken – We used boneless and skinless chicken breasts but you can swap those with chicken thighs for a juicier dish.
- Asparagus – The woody ends are trimmed off. If you’re not a fan of asparagus, then feel free to use green beans or broccoli instead.
- Honey lemon sauce – We used lemon juice, honey, soy sauce, and minced garlic to make the sauce. But you can also swap that with a store-bought teriyaki sauce.
Equipment used for One Pan Chicken and Asparagus
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil or parchment paper
Shop This Post
Baking Asparagus with Chicken
Prepare. Preheat your oven to 400º F. Then, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and set it aside. Next, whisk lemon juice, honey, soy sauce, and minced garlic together in a bowl or glass measuring cup.
Bake the chicken. Add the chicken breasts to the baking sheet Then, sprinkle them with pepper, and put a light coat of honey lemon sauce on top of the chicken. Put it in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
After that, remove the chicken from the oven and add asparagus to the sheet pan surrounding the chicken.
Note: As chicken breasts can vary in size, I recommend checking the temperature of the chicken breast at the 10-minute mark, when the asparagus is added, and 5 minutes after. Cook the chicken until the internal temperature is 165ºF.
Ready to Serve. Drizzle the oven-roasted asparagus with lemon honey sauce and gently toss to coat. Then add a sprinkle of black pepper and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Add an extra spoonful of honey lemon sauce to your dish, and top it with freshly chopped parsley before serving.
How to Serve Baked Chicken and Asparagus Recipe
This baked chicken and asparagus sheet pan dinner can be served in a few different ways. For a light meal, serve it with a side salad like our Kale Salad or some roasted or mashed potatoes. If you’re looking for a heartier meal, pair it with our Basmati rice or Brown rice.
Make Ahead One pan Chicken and Asparagus
You can make this dish ahead and then store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days before baking. When you’re ready to bake it, follow the directions for baking.
One Pan Chicken and Asparagus Bake Variations
- Replace chicken with other proteins, such as shrimp or salmon.
- Add some red pepper flakes to the honey lemon sauce for a little bit of spice.
- If you’re looking for an even more savory dish, add some Parmesan cheese to the asparagus before baking it.
Frequently Asked Questions
For this recipe, you do not need to sear the chicken breasts before baking them. However, if you want a bit of roasted color, feel free to pan-sear them in a pan over medium-high heat for a minute or two per side.
I don’t recommend covering the chicken when baking it in the oven. When you cover the chicken, it traps moisture beneath the lid or foil. This can cause the chicken to steam instead of roast.
One reason could be that you overcooked it. Chicken should be cooked until it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Also, make sure you’re not overcooking your vegetables. Vegetables should be cooked until they’re crisp-tender. They’ll release their moisture and make the chicken dry if they’re overcooked.
Check Out our other Easy Chicken Recipes
- Baked Chicken Tenderloins
- Blackened Chicken Tenders
- Chicken Piccata
- Nashville Chicken Tenders
- Shake And Bake Chicken Tenders
- Oven Baked Marinated Chicken Tenders
Get the Full Chicken and Asparagus Sheet Pan Dinner Here
Chicken and Asparagus Bake
- Baking Sheet
- Aluminum foil or parchment paper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts about 3-4 breasts depending on size
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 piece lemon sliced for garnish
- 1 bunch asparagus woody ends trimmed off
- Preheat the oven to 400º F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together lemon juice, honey, soy sauce, and minced garlic in a bowl or glass measuring cup and set aside.
- Add chicken breasts to the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with pepper and spoon on a light coat of honey lemon sauce. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and add asparagus to sheet pan surrounding chicken.
- Drizzle the asparagus with some honey lemon sauce and toss gently to coat. Add a sprinkle of black pepper and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Spoon on extra honey lemon sauce and garnish with freshly chopped parsley before serving.
Leave a Reply